Arcacia 3

barry h

I have recently purchased an Arcacia 3  which I intend to fly for general slope use ( No competitions ) .

Would anybody have an idea of the suggested C of G. to give me a starting point , I can fine tune this as I go on. 

Many Thanks

Barry

IMG_0193.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Barry.

You probably will not go too far wrong at about 90mm from the leading edge at he root. Most F3f types run cgs rearwards of this point. If it has a ballast tube in the fuz the cg is likely to be about half way along that roughly. A forward cg can be mitigated with some up trim, a rearward cg is normally mitigated by epoxy and carbon cloth, but you obviously know that!

Just a minor point but what you have there is an Acacia 3 not an Arcacia.

You must be prepared to travel for your fix, isn't Norfolk a bit lacking in any kind of gradient let alone slope?

You may not intend to compete but I warn you F3f is infectious.

Well spotted Maria. There some stuff on knewt's old site on the A3 including a review by Ian Mason. You may have to do some hunting about to find out what you have there. More photos may get you the answer. 

My acacia 3 also had a nose cone. The other details on the model look similar though (tail mount and wings). on mine the tail mount failed - nice looking but badly made model.

Usually about 40% of the root chord.

The model was called something else - or rather the number was different in the USA, so if you look on rcgroups you might not get the answer you need. Have a look on f3x.com. Think they called it he acacia 4 from memory.  I'm not sure what you have there though.

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

pete beadle

Hi barry h

I can't help you at present regarding the CG, but I'll look up my notes later today and get back to you. I confirm I will be agreeing  with Satinet and Wookman's replies though

In case it's of any help to you, I have an Acacia 3 fuselage going spare at the moment, with used 2 piece "V"tailplanes, however, mine too has a sheath nose

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Looking closer at the OP's picture it would look like there's a line or similar around the fuselage just before the wing seat. This could depict a nose cone? And a potential painted on canopy?

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Munch197

I agree there may be a painted on canopy, but the OP's fuselage nose appears quite tapered, something the Acacia3's is not - see below

I think a bigger pic of the nose area is called for to solve this riddle!:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Acacia 3 fuselage and tails 009.JPG

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Munch197

I agree there may be a painted on canopy, but the OP's fuselage nose appears quite tapered, something the Acacia3's is not - see below

I think a bigger pic of the nose area is called for to solve this riddle!:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Acacia 3 fuselage and tails 009.JPG

14 hours ago, barry h said:

I have recently purchased an Arcacia 3  which I intend to fly for general slope use ( No competitions ) .

Would anybody have an idea of the suggested C of G. to give me a starting point , I can fine tune this as I go on. 

Many Thanks

Barry

IMG_0193.JPG

Just to clear things up a bit it is a sheath nose, just had a bit of a canopy painted on. 

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

11 hours ago, Maria Freeman said:

Are you sure that is an Acacia 3 ? 

The one I used to fly had a slip on nose cone....

Hi Maria. This one has a slip on nose cone.  see pics  further on.

2 hours ago, Munch197 said:

Looking closer at the OP's picture it would look like there's a line or similar around the fuselage just before the wing seat. This could depict a nose cone? And a potential painted on canopy?

This has a slip on nose cone. 

11 hours ago, Maria Freeman said:

Are you sure that is an Acacia 3 ? 

The one I used to fly had a slip on nose cone....

This one has a slip on nose cone.

Deffo an Acacia 3 I flew one extensively for a few years.... in fact this very model several owners ago.

Great model for light conditions, I experienced none of the structural issues associated with them. I'd heard that

build quality was a little variable, even with wings blowing up along the seams due to lack of adequate bonding. But

this one was absolutely fine.... just a shame you can't shove more ballast in it!

Not up to the speed of it's contemporaries, but a really nice, vice free flyer and so well behaved with full flaps on landing

approach.... made hand catches look easy.

Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of the CG location.... has it still got my strips of blue tape along the underside

roots? I marked those with the starting CG and then moved back gradually from there, but time and tide may have erased

things so maybe best go with what you can find online..... enjoy!

50 minutes ago, paul w said:

Deffo an Acacia 3 I flew one extensively for a few years.... in fact this very model several owners ago.

Great model for light conditions, I experienced none of the structural issues associated with them. I'd heard that

build quality was a little variable, even with wings blowing up along the seams due to lack of adequate bonding. But

this one was absolutely fine.... just a shame you can't shove more ballast in it!

Not up to the speed of it's contemporaries, but a really nice, vice free flyer and so well behaved with full flaps on landing

approach.... made hand catches look easy.

Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of the CG location.... has it still got my strips of blue tape along the underside

roots? I marked those with the starting CG and then moved back gradually from there, but time and tide may have erased

things so maybe best go with what you can find online..... enjoy!

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. yes it still has the tape on underneath the wing roots and this is where I have balanced it to . Just behind the wing joiner. It just looked  a little to far back to me. Bearing in mind the first flight I have with this is when my mate Martin chucks it off the cliffs at St Agnes Cornwall I wanted to get it somewhere close.  I also have a newly built Greacalis to maiden at the same time, also a AHi  and a Middlephase all being maidened . Should be an interesting day , I thinks.

Thanks

Barry

16 minutes ago, barry h said:

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. yes it still has the tape on underneath the wing roots and this is where I have balanced it to . Just behind the wing joiner. It just looked  a little to far back to me. Bearing in mind the first flight I have with this is when my mate Martin chucks it off the cliffs at St Agnes Cornwall I wanted to get it somewhere close.  I also have a newly built Greacalis to maiden at the same time, also a AHi  and a Middlephase all being maidened . Should be an interesting day , I thinks.

Thanks

Barry

My final CG location would have been a good way back from the recommended 'first flight' location so make sure it

balances on the forward most points and that that is in the same ball park as others are suggesting. Best of luck with

the maiden.... let us know how you get on!  

SilentPilot
1 hour ago, barry h said:

I also have a newly built Greacalis to maiden at the same time, also a AHi  and a Middlephase all being maidened . Should be an interesting day , I thinks.

Thanks

Barry

I'd start with the Middlephase to warm the thumbs up first! 

• 2 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:15, paul w said:

My final CG location would have been a good way back from the recommended 'first flight' location so make sure it

balances on the forward most points and that that is in the same ball park as others are suggesting. Best of luck with

the maiden.... let us know how you get on!  

Hi Paul

Maidened today and it went exactly as you described , no vices . For an old girly she still flys good.

I also in the following order maidened the Acacia, Graecalais,Ahi and Middle Phase.  Had a busy day, all went well.

Cheers  Barry

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:33, SilentPilot said:

I'd start with the Middlephase to warm the thumbs up first! 

All maidened today in the reverse order. Acacia,Graecalais,Ahi  and finally the Middle Phase. all went really well. Ive had a great day.

Cheers  Barry