XPerience Pro Ballast

Nigel Castle

Nigel Castle

I recently bought an XPerience Pro in immaculate condition but it did not have a ballast set with it.

I set about trying to find a set to buy (it looks like Nan models no longer keep it) so decided I can make up a set myself.

An Internet search suggests that Copper Bar is heavier than Brass so I can order a length to cut into slugs.

The reason I am starting this post is would someone please measure the outside diameter of the standard set and tell me which size rod I need to buy, it is very difficult to accurately measure the ballast tube inside the fuz.

I think it is 16mm but not 100%

Would  a size 1mm less in diameter be prudent so as not to get it stuck in the tube?

Any help will be appreciated

Many Thanks

Nigel Castle

Hi Austin,

Thanks for the information, stock bar comes as 16mm or 5/8in as I do not have a lathe to size the bar exactly only a Dremel to shape the ends, do you think that buying the 16mm bar would work OK? 

Can you tell me what length the slugs are when finished and how many the ballast tube will except?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Nigel, Could any of this be of  use to you?

Front row;   Ballast tube, takes 16mm slugs, snug fit.

Second row;  16mm ballast set for Maxa, on a rod, secured with allen screws.

Third row; 19mm Ballast set for Explorer?

4th, 5th & 6th rows;   16mm ballast sets for Xpro & Shadow, on nylon cord for easy removal.

I've no idea of  value, so no sensible offer refused!

Mike

Ballast2.jpg

Ballast1.jpg

Phil.Taylor

I made up a set of 16mm dia brass ballast for my recently acquired XPro.

One thing to watch out for - the centre of the ballast tube is well forward of the CofG (well it is on mine) - so either expect a significant forward CofG shift (full ballast) or have a scheme that leaves out one or two forward slugs to maintain the CofG

Phil

Nigel Castle

Thanks for the info Chaps hopefully I can pick up a set from Mike in the next couple of weeks and that will sort out the issue nicely.