Mikey69

Sitar Special 88" (International Sailplanes) Info Required!

Mikey69

Hi all,

I acquired a lovely looking International Sailplanes Sitar Special 88" slope glider from Ebay some months ago. I've finally got around to getting the bits together to get it airworthy. I've been searching the WWW for information on the model, but it seems there is very little available. Apparently the model featured in a 'slopeside' article in RCME in May 2006.  Does anyone happen to have a copy of the article they could scan/email  to me? - I'd be happy to pay for your time/materials. Apparently there is a gentleman who calls himself 'SlopetrashUK', who is considered knowledgeable, but i can't find out any more about him.

Can anyone provide any information about this model? Does anyone have one? I's love to find out more/chat about the model. i have a few ideas to modify the model and would love to talk these through with a former/current Sitar flier. (I'm not happy with the wing joiner, I' m thinking of adding flaps, etc).

Finally, i belive a 100" wingspan version was also available? I'd love to acquire one of those! So, if anyone has one they are using, but are willing to sell, or else anyone has one lanquishing in an attic or garage then i'd be interested in buying it,

I look forward to reading any replies,

With thanks,

Mike

Gary B

Hi Mike,

It features in a 1980 Solent Sailplanes catalogue that I have.  Sitar was the surname of Austrian brothers who were very successful in F3B and speed records (245 mph).

This model was based on the Dassel.

Hope the photo is readable, zoom in.

Cheers

Gary

P4231574.thumb.JPG.ed53036556c06f9c1a04a60f7de0e45b.JPG 

Mikey69

Hi Gary,

It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintence. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my message, photograph your sales brochure, and post the photo on the forum. Your efforts are much appreciated. The photo is perfectly readable. I'm really very grateful to you.

I'm pretty new to slope soaring, having only moved over to flying mouldies in the last few weeks, so i have much to learn.

I knew nothing about the Sitar when i purchased it, but loved the design, It looks so sleek, I just had to have it. I didn't pay very much for it. I figured it would be a great mouldie trainer aircraft, but now that i've finally got around to sorting it out i suspect it will become much more than a mere trainer. I'm relly looking forward to fly it!

Thanks ever so much,

Best Wishes, Mike

• Like 1

Gary B

No worries, it's what the forum is for.

I collect kits,  plans, literature (books/catalogues) and built models from 'the golden years' though I did not start RC gliding properly until the mid-1990s.

I also build (install RC etc) and fly mouldies, F3J and F5J.

Cheers

Gary

Graham Woods

Mikey69:

This model came off the back of the Sitar and Pfeil models used to break the glider speed record back in 1978 on Patscherkofel mountain near Innsbrück.

I guess the design therefore has a very good pedigree. Read about the original on my web page...

http://www.favonius.com/soaring/speed/speed.htm

Graham Woods

wookman

Hi Mikey.

I have had a rummage through the archive and found the article you are after. If you still need it I can scan it and send it over tomorrow evening.

It forms part of that months "on the edge" column that Andy "Slopetrashuk" Ellison wrote for RCM&E for many years with his much missed (by me) informative, entertaining and forthright style.

Andy makes it very clear that not all Sitar Specials were that special!

John Minchell

I built one from the Solent Sailplanes kit and even though it was early in my building experience, it was a truly poor affair.

The fuz moulding was not symetrical around the wing roots and had to be corrected with tapering slivers of ply.  The wings were really bad as the veneers was lumpy and so on - required lots of filler and then sanding before film covering.  I got no answers back from the kit supplier when I wrote and complained.  It flew ok but I had lost all enthusiadsm for it by then.

I hope yours is better and you can enjoy it for what it is.  I learned that paying more and Multiplex/Robbe/Graupner kits were infinitely superior in quality and performance.

John M

pete beadle

Hi all

The point that stands out from my (admittedly frequently faulty) memory banks was the "dangerous" description of the Sitar Special/Dassel  nose.....

It featured a nose that was very clearly a smaller radius than the recommended, even "legal" noses and the "safety versus speed" explanations became very erudite and complicated very quickly at the time

Some even went so far as to suggest "if you HAD to have a nose radius so small, why not mould it out of rubber" and I, as usual, got myself into hot water at the time by suggesting that, if the problem was the radius of the nose concentrating the force of any impact to a dangerous level, applied, we should also look to the leading edges of the wings:yes: which were most definitely NOT going to collapse on impact producing a crumple/safety zone.......more like a medieval knight's sword:cry:

Still, as in everything  in life, the argument soon abated, as it was found that the Sitar was very much, a "one-trick pony" and there were not a lot of flyers who just wanted the ultimate in fast passes on their local slopes, because indulging in that type of flying quite obviously potentially dangerous, a bit like making a scale F104 "Starfighter" or a Bell X1 that would only fly in a gale......hey ho!

Oddly, I recently gave away a copy Sitar fuselage with hand made balsa canopy (should have been GF) simply because it was designed to be heavy and fast, not someting I wanted anymore

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Mikey69

Hi Graham,

Good to hear from you. Thanks very much for providing the link and information on the 'pedigree' of the Sitar. it made  for interesting reading.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Mikey69

Hi Wookamn,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post and for rummaging around for said article. The article sounds like something i should be reading, given the comments about some Sitars not being that special! I like to know what i'm getting myself into before istart ideally, hence my original post. If you could scan the article and send it over to me i'd be most grateful. It sounds as though Andy provided a useful perspective on the Sitar,

Cheers,

Mike

Mikey69

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post - much appreciated. Crikey! It sounds like you had a very poor quality Sitar. I imagine that must have been very disappointing. That's a real shame, as i know how much we all look forward to buying/building/flying a new model. It seems my Sitar is ok from a quality perspective.I haven't closely examined it as yet, but i haven't noticed any flaws as yet. I'll post some photos of my Sitar soon.

I hope i can enjoy it for what it is too. I  must point out that i'm not expecting miracles as far as performance goes, just a little 'retro' fun!

Multiplex kits i love. I've never met one i didn't like. Same goes for Graupner,

Happy flying, Mike

Mikey69

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. It's very interesting reading about others experiences and opinions of the Sitar.

I'm still fairly'green' to slope soaring, this being only my 2nd flying season. I've only just moved over to mouldies - a Purbeck Assassin, X Mods. Blade 2, and an RCRCM Tucan. I got into slope soaring because i saw the 'Lift Ticket' clip at the Golden Gate, on YouTube, which looked fantastic! The model appeared to be a Jart with smoke cans on each wingtip  (I've since found out it wasn't a Jart!). I searched the web very 'jart hungry', discovered Reed Sherman, and promised myself i'd eventually fly jarts. That was five years ago!

I'm now the owner of three Jart LTs, a Jart M70, and a Jart EPP. I finally renovated and flew my foamie Jart about a month ago and loved it! It brings a smile to my face every time i fly it. I guess i'm just easily pleased??!?? lol! I'm happy with the 'one trick pony' approach for the time being, so i'm sure i'll have some fun with the Sitar.

I've always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie and love speedy, responsive models, be it helis, planes, jets or gliders.

Cheers, Mike

Mikey69

Hi all,

Well, here it is!

IMG_0204.jpg

• Like 1

satinet

I've always thought it was a really nice looking fuselage with a board for a wing. 

Mikey69

Hi Satinet,

I think that's probably a fair assessment of the airframe - I've had similar thoughts. I'm intending to fly it with the original wings for the time being.

I may well look into fabricating alternative wings for it in the future if i decide i'd like to experiment with improving the models performance.

satinet

Well I've never flown one, I'm purely talking about asthetics here.  The wing is not pretty in my view.

The simprop sagitta project 2 was a similar looking fuselage with a more sympathetic wing. 

Mikey69

Haha! Me neither!

I'll post my comments on here once i've flown it. i do agree with you though. The wings aren't as 'pleasing' to look at as the fuse. THey almost look like they belong on another model!

Still, it's an interesting 'retro' airframe and i'm looking forward to flying it.

satinet
1 hour ago, Mikey69 said:

The wings aren't as 'pleasing' to look at as the fuse. THey almost look like they belong on another model!

Or a shelving unit........... :)

Cool model to own though. Hope the maiden flight goes well. 

Maria Freeman

I had one years ago..... never really got on with it....out of my comfort zone at the time.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi all

Interesting responses about the Sitar Special's looks.......

At the time I remember it was considered a perfect example of single-minded determination to win at all costs........beauty just didn't come into it:no:

I remember the pic of the Austrian team's "rack" of identical models that was going the rounds, that seemed to exude single-minded determination achieved by typical Teutonic engineering thoroughness.....functional, not beautiful.........  a bit like the Mercedes F1 team today.....it looked like It'd do  exactly what it said on the tin!:yes:

No, at the time, the Dassel/Sitar DARED you to try and fly it to its full capabilities.......not pretty, but looking like the winner it was........did you dare to fly what looked like a carbon copy of the World Speed Record holder?........very few actually could and/or did:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702