Sitar Special 88" (International Sailplanes) Info Required!

Mikey69

Hi all,

Many thanks for your continued input with my post on the Sitar Special. It all makes for very interesting reading for a relatively 'green' sloper such as myself!

Satinet, i LOVE the comment about the wings being more akin to shelves! lol! I couldn't agree more. Perhaps it should have been called the IKEA Special!

Pete, im very interested in your comments about it being a case of function over form. Having now seen piccies of the Dassel i'd quite like to fly one of those too!

I'm certainly not expecting miracles from my Sitar, especially given the advances in airframe design and materials. But, i do think it will be an 'interesting' model to fly on occasion.

I'll let you all know when i've flown it.

Cheers, Mike

Wookman,

Thanks so much for posting and emailing the said magazine article. I very much appreciate it. As a relative newbie to slope saoring the article made for very interesting reading! It seems that my airframe is one of the Mk3s, with white foam obichi wings, floppy wing joiner and blue canopy.

I definitely intend to replace the wing joinr with something much more substantial!

Thanks again, Mike

Just to wind Mr Ellison up cos he never got one as a kid - I picked up a Sitar Special fuz from Tony Baker.  The wings are my own designwith same chord and using E193, all sheeted and using flat strip joiner.  A friend wrote-off the very weak fuz on a low pass.  I then got a Facctor fuselage, which was much closer to the actual Dassel design,.   Still got that and the wings in the loft - maybe one day it will be a renovation project for one of those nostalgia days.

Simon

4585DC0E-374B-4BA6-9579-9A23AE7F4477.jpeg

102F21F5-3692-4569-8040-2F4DEC7E3AB5.jpeg

74F1E59B-5CBC-4D44-92F2-4B1A517E2B54.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Good to meet your acquaintence. Thanks for posting the photos of you with your 'Sitar'. it looks really good 🙂 How did it fly? I imagine it must be interesting looking back over photos of your younger self, with models you haven't flown in some time?

That souns like a greant 'retro' renovation project to me!

Thanks for sharing, Mike

Hi Pete,

Thanks so much for suggesting i attend a Nostaglia Day. That sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I'm very keen to visit as many UK slopes as possible, and am more than happy to undertake longer excursions. I'll look into both North and South events. YOu never know, I may attend both!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask another quick question about the Sitar Special. I believe they were manufactured in 88", and 100" span.

Does anybody know if the fuselage was the same size for both spans? Also, was wing profile the same?

I'm hoping the fuse was exactly the same because i'm considering fabricating some wings to give me the option of flying my Sitar with both spans

Thanks in advance

John Minchell

Thanks Pete for suggesting that Mikey 69 joins us at the "Northern nostalgia day"

The more the merrier, and the date is May 18th, a Saturday at the Leek and Moorlands slopes (to be decided on once the wind direction is known)

Contact Martyn Kinder for more details phone +447989025198, email ukcaa1@gmail.com

John M

John Minchell

Pete

Can't give you a postcodeto pass on to your mates, but if you stick these co-ordinates into Google Maps (53.149065,-1.941569) that is the "pond"site for westerlies.  The other sites are close by.

Martyn Kinder (07989025198, email ukcaa1@gmail.com) is the man to contact on Friday for choice depending upon wind direction.  

We are doing a BBQ as well and a couple of prizes for best model etc. as a pilot's ballot.

Cheers John

John Minchell

Hmmmmm

Well it is on the calendar of the main BMFA , NW Area BMFA and BARCS websites, so I don't know what else we can do to pubicise it, other that keep posting and talking to all and sundry who will listen.  I believe Martyn has emailed all the local club chairmen and secretaries too. 

Yes we will lay on a BBQ with the usual burger, bun, fried onions and sauce for 50p a go just to cover costs.  Martyn is the chef - I'm flying!

I'm just planning my trip down for your September nostalgia day - even bought a new battery for my venerable MPX 4000 which will be taking the strain of all my old airframes.

Regards John M

John Minchell

Sorry to say chaps but the "Northern Nostalgia Models" day tomorrow is postponed due to lots of H2O forcast all day.

Will post here when an alternative day is known.

Martyn K & John M

John Wighton

In case anyone is interested, my Essex bound friends and I made some 'near-identical' versions.  The mould has probably had it but the plug is useable.   The geometry issues, wing roots, etc were corrected and a marginally larger nose radius formed.  I have the wing templates for foam/veneer wings as well! 

Just saying .... in case anyone feels compelled to remanufacture.

Hi john,

i’d certainly be interested in manufacturing a couple for personal use.  Are you interested in parting with said items?

best wishes, mike

It's odd. Throughout my 'formative years' in rc, I always wanted a Sitar Special, more than anything else. It looked so fast, so racy, so sleek compared to the so called kippers at the time. 

I think that's why I have always resisted the urge to own one over the 30 years or so. I really don't want to ruin the dream and disappoint my 15 year old self. 

That said, if someone made a 'short kit' as it were, I'd still be tempted!

What I *really* wanted was an F3b model I saw at the Nats circa 1990, which I believe Dave Charles flew, called a 'Duel' if I remember rightly. Never did or could find out more, but it was beautiful. 

Matt

4 hours ago, Matt c said:

That said, if someone made a 'short kit' as it were, I'd still be tempted!

I'll second that! 

12 hours ago, Matt c said:

What I *really* wanted was an F3b model I saw at the Nats circa 1990, which I believe Dave Charles flew, called a 'Duel' if I remember rightly. Never did or could find out more, but it was beautiful. 

Matt

The ‘Jewel’ - Dave flew it to great success in a lot of thermal contests as well.  I only ever saw his one - it always flew well, had an amazing ability to ‘hang’ even in no lift, and being strong and fast always got a lot of height off the towline.  Eventually Mueller’s Ellipse series arrived which moved things forward, but it wasn’t really until the E2V that the performance of the Jewel was bettered.

Simon

Dave jewel was amazing saw that first at tonbridge open we had never seen anything like it before!  . Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider.