Mikey69

Sitar Special 88" (International Sailplanes) Info Required!

John Minchell

Sorry to say chaps but the "Northern Nostalgia Models" day tomorrow is postponed due to lots of H2O forcast all day.

Will post here when an alternative day is known.

Martyn K & John M

• Sad 1

John Wighton

In case anyone is interested, my Essex bound friends and I made some 'near-identical' versions.  The mould has probably had it but the plug is useable.   The geometry issues, wing roots, etc were corrected and a marginally larger nose radius formed.  I have the wing templates for foam/veneer wings as well! 

Just saying .... in case anyone feels compelled to remanufacture.

Mikey69

Hi john,

i’d certainly be interested in manufacturing a couple for personal use.  Are you interested in parting with said items?

best wishes, mike

Matt c

It's odd. Throughout my 'formative years' in rc, I always wanted a Sitar Special, more than anything else. It looked so fast, so racy, so sleek compared to the so called kippers at the time. 

I think that's why I have always resisted the urge to own one over the 30 years or so. I really don't want to ruin the dream and disappoint my 15 year old self. 

That said, if someone made a 'short kit' as it were, I'd still be tempted!

What I *really* wanted was an F3b model I saw at the Nats circa 1990, which I believe Dave Charles flew, called a 'Duel' if I remember rightly. Never did or could find out more, but it was beautiful. 

Matt

Ben
4 hours ago, Matt c said:

That said, if someone made a 'short kit' as it were, I'd still be tempted!

I'll second that! 

simon_t
12 hours ago, Matt c said:

What I *really* wanted was an F3b model I saw at the Nats circa 1990, which I believe Dave Charles flew, called a 'Duel' if I remember rightly. Never did or could find out more, but it was beautiful. 

Matt

The ‘Jewel’ - Dave flew it to great success in a lot of thermal contests as well.  I only ever saw his one - it always flew well, had an amazing ability to ‘hang’ even in no lift, and being strong and fast always got a lot of height off the towline.  Eventually Mueller’s Ellipse series arrived which moved things forward, but it wasn’t really until the E2V that the performance of the Jewel was bettered.

Simon

robtc3uk

Dave jewel was amazing saw that first at tonbridge open we had never seen anything like it before!  . Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider. 

pete beadle

Hi Simon

I don't know about the "Jewel" but I do know about my Chris Foss "Hi-Phase" (NOT the "Multiphase" - much too angular)

I still have my Hi Phase, it's now on its second fuselage, and, if I want to groove about the sky, majestically slowly, that's the plane I pick to bring back the smile on my face:thumbsup:

There are some planes that just look "right" in the air, and I just can't fault the Hi-Phase......

I had a Calypso Contest, a Dogan and a couple of other mouldies that I just couldn't make behave.......so, until I found the "Europhia" " I soldiered on mainly with 3 and 4 metre Algebras.......the only thing I could find wrong with the Europhia was it's price so, when Tony Vale wanted to sell all of his Europhias. including spares, I was there, that same afternoon, cash in hand, and bought THE LOT! a purchase, or purchases, I've never regretted........and yes, I've still got two of those beauties......see my pic with my forum details:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Matt c

Interesting, was the Jewel a commercially available thing, or a one off? I've only got one picture of it, but would be interesting to find out a bit more, it made quite an impact on my youthful self. 

8 hours ago, robtc3uk said:

Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider. 

I'd love to, but I couldn't make an offer that would be anything like the value as things are at the moment, and I wouldn't want to insult you by doing so. 

Mikey69
15 hours ago, robtc3uk said:

Dave jewel was amazing saw that first at tonbridge open we had never seen anything like it before!  . Talking of sitar i a have 100" one I would part with for the right offer it's old but not in to bad conditions for a very old glider. 

Hi Robtc3uk,

good to meet your acquaintence. I've PM'd you regarding your 100" Sitar,

Best wishes, Mike

robtc3uk

I got my sitar out the loft it's a thing of beauty!  Very dusty and old! 

20190527_103338.jpg

Mikey69

Hi Rob,

Wow! that's very tasty! Very much a thing of beauty indeed!

Thanks for sharing!

I've PM'd you!

Cheers, Mike