CAA registration consultation

Steve J

11 minutes ago, satinet said:

Unusually forthright by the bmfa.

Two kicks where it hurts from the DfT/CAA in the space of a few months.

I am pleased to see that Liz Sugg is no longer aviation minister although I doubt if her replacement will be any better.

Steve

Yes, so it appears as if for Q4. 'Do you already own a drone?' we should say 'No, we own model aircraft'.

I think that for Q5, 6 & 7, the BMFA should provide us with comments so that we present a united front.  It is hard to take notice of a couple of thousand slightly different opinions, whereas a huge bulk of identical responses may get some attention.  I have just emailed the BMFA asking as such.  

M

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

So why is the BMFA saying one thing to you and another to our Secretary:(

BMFA didn’t say this to me.  I suggested it.  I agree we need as many responses as possible, but I think they should be coordinated.   I don’t think they are simple questions to answer in a way that will actually help our cause and feel that I coordinated response through our national body would have the biggest impact.  But I may be wrong, I’m no politician. 

38 minutes ago, MikeDLG said:

I don’t think they are simple questions to answer in a way that will actually help our cause

I disagree. They are simple questions. The CAA is asking about the fee and how the system should be paid for. They are not asking if you think that there should be a registration system. That ship sailed a long time ago. The fact that they are asking "Do you have alternative ideas about how the CAA could cover the costs of running the registration scheme?" indicates to me that they know that £16.50 / year is too much. I told them that the registration system should be paid for out of the taxes that the treasury will get from commercial unmanned aircraft operations.

Steve 

PS There is no point in people obsessing about the CAA's inconsistent use of a certain word.

• Like 1

Question. How do they know I fly model aircraft, are the BMFA going to tell them? I don't want them to do that as I have no intention of letting them know. Or as this already been agreed without my consent? Is there a law that says I must let them know? If I don't pay how will they know or police this. The world really has gone completely mad

I’m sure that this paragraph has been read by some of us, but 85% of remote pilots are also drone operators? Have I missed something here. 

E093A5EE-7ACD-4CB0-8069-884BD6CB7797.png

8 minutes ago, Mikeb52 said:

but 85% of remote pilots are also drone operators? Have I missed something here. 

Do you own the models that you fly?

Steve

7 hours ago, Steve J said:

Do you own the models that you fly?

Steve

I assume Steve, that the other 15% fly drones, that they don’t own? 

9 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

I’m sure that this paragraph has been read by some of us, but 85% of remote pilots are also drone operators? Have I missed something here. 

E093A5EE-7ACD-4CB0-8069-884BD6CB7797.png

In this context, I believe a 'remote pilot' is one half of a drone flying team, where the drone operator is the other half. The 85% comment refers to the fact that a lot of drones are in fact flown and operated by the same person. You could equally read it that only 15% of drone flying is done by teams of two or more (drone operator, drone pilot and camera operator, for example).

1 hour ago, Mikeb52 said:

I assume Steve, that the other 15% fly drones, that they don’t own? 

The other 15% will include commercial operations and cases where the SUA pilot is below 18.

Steve