CAA registration consultation

Steve J

I read 'remote pilot' as being remote from the drone - in a room or vehicle somewhere, controlling or monitoring a commercial delivery drone for instance. I could easily be wrong :)

3 hours ago, Ribs said:

In this context, I believe a 'remote pilot' is one half of a drone flying team, where the drone operator is the other half. 

Wrong. I suggest that you have a look at ANO article 94G.

15 minutes ago, satinet said:

Does this system include for commercial drone operators 

Yes.

There are two threads currently running on this subject.

Is it possible to merge them so we don't need to keep looking at both?

Thanks

23 hours ago, MikeDLG said:

Yes, so it appears as if for Q4. 'Do you already own a drone?' we should say 'No, we own model aircraft'.

I think that for Q5, 6 & 7, the BMFA should provide us with comments so that we present a united front.  It is hard to take notice of a couple of thousand slightly different opinions, whereas a huge bulk of identical responses may get some attention.  I have just emailed the BMFA asking as such.  

M

The BMFA disagrees with me as well: 

From Dave Phipps:

Thanks Michael,

Our advice is the opposite, in that identical responses generally got dismissed more readily than individual ones!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards

Dave Phipps

Chief Executive

9 hours ago, Steve J said:

Wrong. I suggest that you have a look at ANO article 94G.

Yes.

Hi Steve,

I just read what I can find on ANO 94g and it more or less agrees with my statement. The remote pilot is the guy on the sticks (or near them if operating in an autonomous mode temporarily) and the operator is the guy in charge of the flight. 

In this case, the 85% figure arises because mostly the operator and the remote pilot are the same person.

Can you give me some detail, and perhaps a link or quote, so I can see how I am reading this incorrectly please?

Cheers 

Chris

33 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Can you give me some detail, and perhaps a link or quote, so I can see how I am reading this incorrectly please?

The operator/remote pilot split is described in section 2 of the 2018 DfT consultation and there are examples in annex D.

Steve

45 minutes ago, Steve J said:

The operator/remote pilot split is described in section 2 of the 2018 DfT consultation and there are examples in annex D.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's a good link.

I've read section 2, where the roles are described and also looked at the appendix d with the examples.

I still don't see why you think my interpretation is incorrect. According to every source of information, the operator is the person responsible for the drone/the flight, while the remote pilot is the person at the actual physical controls.

Perhaps you could explain how you see things?

As before, I would interpret that the 85% figure comes from there being 85% of instances where the operator and the remote pilot are one and the same.

Cheers,

Chris

@Ribs Yesterday morning you said that the operator was just one half of a drone flying team. Now you are saying they the are responsible for the flight. You appear to be playing games.

I've read none of the documentation - my eyes glaze over and my brain starts to hurt - I leave that to the many people who cope better than me with legalese texts.

I'm guessing (I'll stop soon if you wish :) ) a company like Amazon could be the 'operator' and Doug in a van the 'remote pilot' controlling the last mile delivery.

2 hours ago, Steve J said:

@Ribs Yesterday morning you said that the operator was just one half of a drone flying team. Now you are saying they the are responsible for the flight. You appear to be playing games.

It does seem to me you could register one drone operator and have loads of pilots register for free.

I can certainly see families doing that. Indeed they have to for under 18s.

Has everyone had the  e mail from the BMFA about this today? They sent it me three times!

Noting our government's record with IT projects, what happens when the system goes live at the beginning of October and the say 40000 odd people who wish to register to continue flying try and do so before the November deadline.

1. It all works flawlessly, we pass our online tests and are issued with our numbers and are able to register and pay the fee.

2. It doesn't.

Just a thought.

• Haha 1

John Minchell

Maria

If we all ignore it, then they can prosecute each and every one of the 34,000 BMFA members for £1000 each.  Assuming of course that they have enough police and back office people to deliver the summons and that they get the membership list from the BMFA, which has already been offered, assuming that we all agree to it under GDPR rules.

My take is it won't be 170,000 registering, it will be more like 34,000 BMFA plus maybe 20,000 drone owners/operators and there will be a huge deficit, so we all end up paying an increased fee of £80 to £100 oreven more.  Most drone owners (toys at Xmas) won't have heard of the BMFA or the CAA and probably do not have insurance. 

We all know the rogues and criminals who will use drones to disrupt airports or for other criminal uses won't register at all.   Now it gets more serious.

So everyone complaining to modellers & each other on here is a waste of time - better to use that time to write emails and letters to:-   the CEO of the CAA Richard Moriarty, the CAA Head of General Aviation, Rachel Gardner-Poole and Dame Deirdre Mary Hutton the current chair of the CAA, also your own MP (despite the fact that they can't organise a p-up in a brewery judging by the Brexit debacle and murdering of democracy) - some of them might actually do something for their constituents like they were voted in to do!

John M

Maria Freeman
2 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

Maria

If we all ignore it, then they can prosecute each and every one of the 34,000 BMFA members for £1000 each.  Assuming of course that they have enough police and back office people to deliver the summons and that they get the membership list from the BMFA, which has already been offered, assuming that we all agree to it under GDPR rules.

My take is it won't be 170,000 registering, it will be more like 34,000 BMFA plus maybe 20,000 drone owners/operators and there will be a huge deficit, so we all end up paying an increased fee of £80 to £100 oreven more.  Most drone owners (toys at Xmas) won't have heard of the BMFA or the CAA and probably do not have insurance. 

We all know the rogues and criminals who will use drones to disrupt airports or for other criminal uses won't register at all.   Now it gets more serious.

So everyone complaining to modellers & each other on here is a waste of time - better to use that time to write emails and letters to:-   the CEO of the CAA Richard Moriarty, the CAA Head of General Aviation, Rachel Gardner-Poole and Dame Deirdre Mary Hutton the current chair of the CAA, also your own MP (despite the fact that they can't organise a p-up in a brewery judging by the Brexit debacle and murdering of democracy) - some of them might actually do something for their constituents like they were voted in to do!

John M

But I don't have any model planes and drones now ..... do I ?

Maria Freeman

Well Pete. If I refuse to pay my £1000 fine they will have to put me in jail.... at least I'll have a TV  to watch , which I don't have here !

I'm sorry , but my eyes glazed over too when trying to read all the bumf.... 

What on earth has happened to this country ?

John Minchell

Pete

The worth of a thread like this is to motivate people to get off their **** and reply to the consultation to try and stop the process & cost to us which will only start at £16.50 before it spirals upwards.  I would support every BMFA member boycotting the whole process  or even a modern day Guy Fawkes completing the job started in 1605, but it aint goin to happen is it?

Suggest you read again what I wrote and digest it till you understand it - not just what you think I wrote.