CAA registration consultation

Steve J

7 hours ago, John Minchell said:

Maria

If we all ignore it, then they can prosecute each and every one of the 34,000 BMFA members for £1000 each.  Assuming of course that they have enough police and back office people to deliver the summons and that they get the membership list from the BMFA, which has already been offered, assuming that we all agree to it under GDPR rules.

My take is it won't be 170,000 registering, it will be more like 34,000 BMFA plus maybe 20,000 drone owners/operators and there will be a huge deficit, so we all end up paying an increased fee of £80 to £100 oreven more.  Most drone owners (toys at Xmas) won't have heard of the BMFA or the CAA and probably do not have insurance. 

We all know the rogues and criminals who will use drones to disrupt airports or for other criminal uses won't register at all.   Now it gets more serious.

So everyone complaining to modellers & each other on here is a waste of time - better to use that time to write emails and letters to:-   the CEO of the CAA Richard Moriarty, the CAA Head of General Aviation, Rachel Gardner-Poole and Dame Deirdre Mary Hutton the current chair of the CAA, also your own MP (despite the fact that they can't organise a p-up in a brewery judging by the Brexit debacle and murdering of democracy) - some of them might actually do something for their constituents like they were voted in to do!

John M

Prosecute for what? That's like saying if you own a fishing rod you need a rod license or you're breaking the law. You don't. Same with drones. The license is to operate the things not own them per se. It's not like a shot gun license. 

You could be a bmfa member, fly, NOT register and STILL be legal. E.g if you fly planes under 250g. 

You can be a member of the bmfa and own no models or drones at all. 

The consultation is actually utterly pointless as the money has already been spent and they are legally obliged to recover the costs. 

Once the registration is live and operational, which it will like in the US and the rest of Europe, i expect the liability insurance we currently enjoy will require you to be registered, also the participation in BMFA clubs, competitions and shows, so for most of us it will be unavoidable. The cost and the 18+ ruling we may be able to overturn.

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

I'm of to France soon and have just tried to complete their training and test procedure, and also to registered my models.

The training involves watching many small videos and answering a few questions. Nothing too onerous but it does take some time.

Once you have passed the test then you get a certificate, (which you must carry with you when flying) and once you have registered your models you get a unique number for each, which you have to daub onto your models.

But no charge!

Having completed the training, I now know I shouldn't fly my drone around airports or look at neighbours in their swimming cossies., or if I  have a weak GPS signal ( for return to home) .  I should land if anything else whats to fly. I can't fly in urban areas or parks or nature reserves,  I cant use goggles unless someone else is also flying my model with me and they aren't. I can't fly out of sight.

As a Slope soarer I did find one bit that is relevant to me  with a glider with no camera on board,

I shouldn't fly if its windy! 

Still better than the UK though,.

PS Having completed all the training the web site wouldnt let me do the test. The site crashed. It looks like I need to do it all again, another hour plus wasted, then hope the test site will open - or its do it again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oipigface
3 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Having completed all the training the web site wouldnt let me do the test. The site crashed. It looks like I need to do it all again, another hour plus wasted, then hope the test site will open - or its do it again...

You seem to have spent your day in much the same way as me, Mike. It is not clear from the site that you have to register before attempting the test. I got all the questions right eventually, but I started in French and tried to continue in English, which meant in the end that I had to answer all the questions in both languages. I still haven’t got my certificate, but I have found the helpdesk unusually helpful, so I expect I shall eventually. Whether they are equally helpful if you write to them in English, I don’t know.

For those who are puzzled by the English version, it may be helpful to know that ‘in immersion’ is their translation of whatever the French for FPV is.

I too loved the bit about not flying if it’s windy!

3 hours ago, wookman said:

If it is too windy it means you have not got the right glider!

Just means you haven't got enough lead  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 06:46, satinet said:

The license is to operate the things not own them per se.

Operator: person or organisation who has management of the small drone but may not be directly controlling the flight. There is no requirement for the operator to be present during the small drone flight ...

Do you have management of a glider in your garage that you own but haven't flown recently?

18 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

I'm of to France soon and have just tried to complete their training and test procedure, and also to registered my models.

The training involves watching many small videos and answering a few questions. Nothing too onerous but it does take some time.

Once you have passed the test then you get a certificate, (which you must carry with you when flying) and once you have registered your models you get a unique number for each, which you have to daub onto your models.

But no charge!

Having completed the training, I now know I shouldn't fly my drone around airports or look at neighbours in their swimming cossies., or if I  have a weak GPS signal ( for return to home) .  I should land if anything else whats to fly. I can't fly in urban areas or parks or nature reserves,  I cant use goggles unless someone else is also flying my model with me and they aren't. I can't fly out of sight.

As a Slope soarer I did find one bit that is relevant to me  with a glider with no camera on board,

I shouldn't fly if its windy! 

Still better than the UK though,.

PS Having completed all the training the web site wouldnt let me do the test. The site crashed. It looks like I need to do it all again, another hour plus wasted, then hope the test site will open - or its do it again...

do you have to carry a spare wing and a spare tailplane   and a warning parachute just in case 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steve J said:

Do you have management of a glider in your garage that you own but haven't flown recently?

I have a glider that I own but haven't flown recently in a rack in the garage that I use to manage this glider. What should I do next?

isoaritfirst
35 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

do you have to carry a spare wing and a spare tailplane   and a warning parachute just in case 

There's the next thing right there!

How long before Type Approval outlaws such tings as replacing a tailplane, or the CAA etc demands an inspection and a new registration doc.

• Like 1

Jerry Lunt

Oh hell!!

I'm just building a new plane!!   Think it's coming up time to throw the towel in   :frantics:

and do some wall papering,  😪

gardening  😂

1 hour ago, Scram said:

Oh hell!!

I'm just building a new plane!!   Think it's coming up time to throw the towel in   :frantics:

gardening  😂

No way Jerry

We all need to stick together  on this one.

Hopefully see you soon on the slope pal.

isoaritfirst
1 hour ago, Scram said:

Oh hell!!

gardening  😂

Plenty of time for Pushing up the roses. Reach for the skies while you can. 

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Maybe some hope here:

British Model Flying Association

4 hrs · 

** IMPORTANT UPDATE ** PLEASE READ & SHARE **

Today, the BMFA's CEO has been contacted and asked to attend a meeting with the Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton.

This has come about directly because of YOUR reaction to the CAA's proposal, completing the consultation and emailing both the CAA and the DfT.

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Whilst this is a positive step, we cannot stop the pressure that is being applied, the fight must and will continue.

If you have yet to complete the CAA consultation, email the CAA, DfT or your local MP, please take a few minutes this weekend and give them your views of the proposal.

www.bmfa.org/…/UK-MODEL-FLYING-UNDER-THREAT-CALL-TO-ACTION-…

Together, we will fight this for the very best possible outcome.

www.bmfa.org

• Like 1

The hobby will grey out. People with thousands in models won't stop flying. New entrants probably won't bother when there are many alternatives.

May be a stupid question , Over the years of flying i have done in many different locations ,in and out of europe ...i have come across pilots who have never been in the bmfa or any governing body of aero-modelling  and who probably never will be  ....they just go and fly, whether it be quads ,gliders or powered ...some i know fly large scale stuff from private farms ,runways etc ...don,t know about insurance ....we do seem to be having the finger pointed at us for doing things the right way ....why is this?When will they realize that "WE" go about things as safely as possible and stick to the rules laid down by the bmfa ....i for 1 would,t dream of flying any of my models near an airport unless of course like the NATS the runway was purposely closed ....  to be honest i fly models to "get away from masses " and go hang out with like minded people ,usually up a large hill miles from anywhere ...If it gets to the point where owning a model plane becomes like owning a shotgun or rifle ...it,s laughable i will jack in !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

oipigface
22 hours ago, Andy_B said:

No. But the bad news is that later this year (before the beginning of July, it seems) all RC planes in France heavier than 800g will have to have a transponder fitted. I’m not sure what this is, but I bet it costs more than £16.50.

I don't understand why so many people are saying that they will give up flying over a registration system and an online test. It costs me close to £16.50 in fuel to visit some slopes.

Steve

• Like 1

Maria Freeman

At least , when you are stood on top of a hill , you will see the police coming . Like that is going to happen ?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

At least , when you are stood on top of a hill , you will see the police coming . Like that is going to happen ?!

Plod from the MOD came up Burton Dassett while I was flying to speak to me a few weeks ago.

Typical plod just interested in getting details .