CAA registration consultation

Steve J

11 hours ago, wookman said:

Now is not the time to be arguing about what a drone is or isn't or who is getting taxed or not. Registration of some sort is coming, fact. The argument over how useful it will be to the CAA to have an extensive list of who hasn't caused the next drone/airport fiasco is not relevant. 

The only important thing is that we all get behind the BMFA to help them get a sensible agreement that will protect the future of the hobby we all enjoy. Our strength, such as it is, is in sticking together as aeromodellers. All of us, together.

Absolutely right. We will get no where by diluting our strength in numbers. The majority of flat field soaring gliders, are now flown using electric power.

The waters have become a bit muddier with drones in the form of flying wing type with a camera on board , whereas when they started as multi rota type, were easily separated as a class. My personal view, is that if it has Auto stabilization and carry's a camera with FPV, it is a drone. The fact of auto stabilization has meant that anybody can fly a drone with limited knowledge, plus outside normal vision parameters. OK I know you can fit a gyro in a model, but for the majority and competition models are banned from using them.

Quite how someone flew a drone at 14,000 feet within 90ft of a Virgin jet , as reported last week, find difficult to believe, due to the speeds involved and the eye to focus that easily on such a small object, to judge as to what was actually seen.

BARCS 230

• Like 1

There is an obvious an undeniable difference between a glider and a non glider. Full sized pilot regulations aren't the same for gliders and non gliders. 

People have been touting the electric 'safety' angle for a while. You can't have it both ways.  Most people in fact probably fly both types but no-one can argue that a glider is anything like a drone. 

I doubt a glider exemption will happen, but it would be better than nothing. 

Well I guess that finishes off that discussion once and for all.

The distinction is not hugely relevant.

Get behind the BMFA, integrate the quad-copter and the hexacopter flyers if that gives us a bigger voice. What ever it takes to protect the hobby/sport from unnecessary and/or draconian regulations that make it difficult to attract newcomers and keep existing people active.

Today's quad-copter flying youngsters might be the next generation of "proper" aeromodellers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve J said:

solar-wing-praxis.jpg

It's either got a means of propulsion or it hasn't. Well done for being so clever.

I'm talking about something under continuous pilot control within line of sight. I.e within current regs. 

Maybe you need to calm it down a bit when someone has an idea that's might be slightly different than what you think. No one thinks any of this is good. 

Re fastest models. What's that got to do with anything. No one cares about what a few americans are doing up a hill. The regs are there because of public perception of drones. E.g gatwick. Whether you like it or not. 

Different rules already exist for different types of models e.g over 7kg. Emg gliders and failsafes. It hasn't resulted in the break up of the bmfa and the end of western civilization as we know it. 

Are you going to campaign to get under 250g included as well.

• Like 3

A bit of positive news

Yesterday (3/5/2019), the BMFA's CEO has been contacted and asked to attend a meeting with the Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton.

This has come about directly because of YOUR reaction to the CAA's proposal, completing the consultation and emailing the CAA, Aviation Minister and your MP.

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Great isn't it!  But please, do still send the emails as called for here if you haven't already.

Dave Elam

I've just emailed Baroness Vere. It took 10 minutes out of my day. Not much really. Please do the same as it must surely help.

I e mailed my old mentor, Dave Platt now 83 I think as to how the drone regulations are going down in the USA😎😄

Brian,

I never complied and never will.  The answer is just to say no.  I’m still waiting for the first arrest.

Dave

Hi Dave

How you getting on over their with the drone legislation?

They are starting to bring it in over here, lumping in all model Aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards

Brian

31 minutes ago, EssexBOF said:

He’s a member of a model flying club too!

Just what we don’t need at this delicate stage of negotiations. You couldn’t make it up. 🙁

What would happen if we just ignored this..refused to pay, all of us, what is the worst that could happen ?

I for one am ignoring it, I fly alone on farm land far from a road or up on a  fellside, i'm a member of the bmfa purely for the insurance and as far as i'm concerned thats enough.

how will they collect the money, unless I volunteer my details on line they don't even know I exist..

SilentPilot

Might as well cancel your BMFA membership. Probably won't pay out any insurance claim without you being registered. 

18 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Might as well cancel your BMFA membership. Probably won't pay out any insurance claim without you being registered. 

Do you know this to be true or are you just speculating/scaremongering ?

SilentPilot

Its speculation, but have you ever known an insurance policy to pay out when it doesn't have to? 

Use your own judgement. It's your money :)

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

If you did comply with all the requirements of the new regulations you'd simply be providing the police with a helpful list of potential culprits......

After seeing what happened to that poor chap at Christmas, the way he was crucified by the police and media why on earth would anybody freely give up their  details knowing that this could happen to you, in fact it's not free it's £16.50, I don't think so, i've never heard of anything so stupid.. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally managed to get my French registration sorted. It helps to write the answers you give down, so that you don’t make new mistakes - the answers mind, not just the numbers, which are newly randomised at each attempt. 

I never was good at exams.