Steve J

CAA registration consultation

Mikeb52

Thanks Steve and Ribs for your clarification. Now, where did I put my worry beads!

satinet

Does this system include for commercial drone operators - I thought such a thing was already in existence?

tonym

I read 'remote pilot' as being remote from the drone - in a room or vehicle somewhere, controlling or monitoring a commercial delivery drone for instance. I could easily be wrong :)

Steve J
3 hours ago, Ribs said:

In this context, I believe a 'remote pilot' is one half of a drone flying team, where the drone operator is the other half. 

Wrong. I suggest that you have a look at ANO article 94G.

15 minutes ago, satinet said:

Does this system include for commercial drone operators 

Yes.

Nicholls

For your quiet moments

• Like 1

Dave Elam

There are two threads currently running on this subject.

Is it possible to merge them so we don't need to keep looking at both?

Thanks

MikeDLG
23 hours ago, MikeDLG said:

Yes, so it appears as if for Q4. 'Do you already own a drone?' we should say 'No, we own model aircraft'.

I think that for Q5, 6 & 7, the BMFA should provide us with comments so that we present a united front.  It is hard to take notice of a couple of thousand slightly different opinions, whereas a huge bulk of identical responses may get some attention.  I have just emailed the BMFA asking as such.  

M

The BMFA disagrees with me as well: 

From Dave Phipps:

Thanks Michael,

Our advice is the opposite, in that identical responses generally got dismissed more readily than individual ones!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards

Dave Phipps

Chief Executive

Ribs
9 hours ago, Steve J said:

Wrong. I suggest that you have a look at ANO article 94G.

Yes.

Hi Steve,

I just read what I can find on ANO 94g and it more or less agrees with my statement. The remote pilot is the guy on the sticks (or near them if operating in an autonomous mode temporarily) and the operator is the guy in charge of the flight. 

In this case, the 85% figure arises because mostly the operator and the remote pilot are the same person.

Can you give me some detail, and perhaps a link or quote, so I can see how I am reading this incorrectly please?

Cheers 

Chris

Steve J
33 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Can you give me some detail, and perhaps a link or quote, so I can see how I am reading this incorrectly please?

The operator/remote pilot split is described in section 2 of the 2018 DfT consultation and there are examples in annex D.

Steve

Ribs
45 minutes ago, Steve J said:

The operator/remote pilot split is described in section 2 of the 2018 DfT consultation and there are examples in annex D.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's a good link.

I've read section 2, where the roles are described and also looked at the appendix d with the examples.

I still don't see why you think my interpretation is incorrect. According to every source of information, the operator is the person responsible for the drone/the flight, while the remote pilot is the person at the actual physical controls.

Perhaps you could explain how you see things?

As before, I would interpret that the 85% figure comes from there being 85% of instances where the operator and the remote pilot are one and the same.

Cheers,

Chris

Steve J

@Ribs Yesterday morning you said that the operator was just one half of a drone flying team. Now you are saying they the are responsible for the flight. You appear to be playing games.

tonym

I've read none of the documentation - my eyes glaze over and my brain starts to hurt - I leave that to the many people who cope better than me with legalese texts.

I'm guessing (I'll stop soon if you wish :) ) a company like Amazon could be the 'operator' and Doug in a van the 'remote pilot' controlling the last mile delivery.

satinet
2 hours ago, Steve J said:

@Ribs Yesterday morning you said that the operator was just one half of a drone flying team. Now you are saying they the are responsible for the flight. You appear to be playing games.

It does seem to me you could register one drone operator and have loads of pilots register for free.

I can certainly see families doing that. Indeed they have to for under 18s.

pete beadle

Hi all

In most "important" agreements there is a "Definition of Terms" list included so there can be no argument as to what is meant by the terms used in legal contracts

The OED's definition is "One who operates a machine or device" implying "hands-on" operation or control, so I suppose, by their description, it's got to be "Doug in the Van"that's the Operator, innit?:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

Has everyone had the  e mail from the BMFA about this today? They sent it me three times!

Maria Freeman

What happens if we all ignore this ?

wookman

Noting our government's record with IT projects, what happens when the system goes live at the beginning of October and the say 40000 odd people who wish to register to continue flying try and do so before the November deadline.

1. It all works flawlessly, we pass our online tests and are issued with our numbers and are able to register and pay the fee.

2. It doesn't.

Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pete beadle

Hi Maria

Absolutely nothing! Government departments are now forced to outsource this type of consultation request(s) which are very labour intensive

I received one a few weeks ago from the NHS asking how I rated the "customer experience" of using the NHS.....the questions were so obviously biased to get positive results that they were nothing short of a travesty of opinion gathering! It's still here in my in tray and no-one has chased me for not replying so far

If they can ignore the thousands of complaints every year, made in writing, about our train and 'plane services, it won't be too hard to ignore a bunch of toy aeroplane flyers, will it?:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS

SilentPilot

Could the BMFA be our operator and we, being registered members, are merely pilots? 

pete beadle

Hi Tony

I'm sorry but NO it's much worse than that, not only are we not operators, according to our National Body we all FLY drones!:frantics:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702