Steve J

CAA registration consultation

isoaritfirst
1 hour ago, Scram said:

Oh hell!!

I'm just building a new plane!!   Think it's coming up time to throw the towel in   :frantics:

and do some wall papering,  😪

gardening  😂

Plenty of time for Pushing up the roses. Reach for the skies while you can. 

• Haha 1

PeteMitchell

Maybe some hope here:

British Model Flying Association

4 hrs · 

** IMPORTANT UPDATE ** PLEASE READ & SHARE **

Today, the BMFA's CEO has been contacted and asked to attend a meeting with the Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton.

This has come about directly because of YOUR reaction to the CAA's proposal, completing the consultation and emailing both the CAA and the DfT.

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Whilst this is a positive step, we cannot stop the pressure that is being applied, the fight must and will continue.

If you have yet to complete the CAA consultation, email the CAA, DfT or your local MP, please take a few minutes this weekend and give them your views of the proposal.

www.bmfa.org/…/UK-MODEL-FLYING-UNDER-THREAT-CALL-TO-ACTION-…

Together, we will fight this for the very best possible outcome.

www.bmfa.org

• Like 1

satinet

The hobby will grey out. People with thousands in models won't stop flying. New entrants probably won't bother when there are many alternatives.

• Like 1

abbof3f

May be a stupid question , Over the years of flying i have done in many different locations ,in and out of europe ...i have come across pilots who have never been in the bmfa or any governing body of aero-modelling  and who probably never will be  ....they just go and fly, whether it be quads ,gliders or powered ...some i know fly large scale stuff from private farms ,runways etc ...don,t know about insurance ....we do seem to be having the finger pointed at us for doing things the right way ....why is this?When will they realize that "WE" go about things as safely as possible and stick to the rules laid down by the bmfa ....i for 1 would,t dream of flying any of my models near an airport unless of course like the NATS the runway was purposely closed ....  to be honest i fly models to "get away from masses " and go hang out with like minded people ,usually up a large hill miles from anywhere ...If it gets to the point where owning a model plane becomes like owning a shotgun or rifle ...it,s laughable i will jack in !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

oipigface
22 hours ago, Andy_B said:

do you have to carry a spare wing and a spare tailplane   and a warning parachute just in case 

No. But the bad news is that later this year (before the beginning of July, it seems) all RC planes in France heavier than 800g will have to have a transponder fitted. I’m not sure what this is, but I bet it costs more than £16.50.

pete beadle

Well said AbboF3F

Colleagues in the ISA are giving up using old age as the excuse, but, once quizzed about it, they ARE admitting it's these new regulations that are the final straw, and the real reason for giving their up

For me, the final straw will probably be when the BMFA finally admits they were unable to get an exemption from these regs for model glider flyers 

I think the decision/big mistake to welcome drone flyers into the BMFA, will be the real straw that breaks the camel's back, however

When I look back at the dozens of pages on this forum where our leaders, and  most others who post here,  I have to say  I'm impressed by their reasonable attitude, cogent reasons for "doing the right thing", erudite raising of arguments and the general air of all-round reasonableness of their argument(s)  

These days,  I'm afraid, this approach just doesn't work any more, as the Global Warming protesters showed with their civil disobedience in central London, no-one really cares until somebody dies.........and sometimes not even then

This is my preferred hobby, and it has been so for most of my life, but I'm NOT prepared to do what I think I'll need/have to do, to get these regulations changed to exempt my toy aeroplanes, as some chap once said "Sorry, but I'm not prepared to die in a ditch over this one" and yes, I personally think this IS the last straw for me. as well as for many others........I'm tired and I just want to go home and stop all this fuss........:(:cry:

Regretfully

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 2

Steve J

I don't understand why so many people are saying that they will give up flying over a registration system and an online test. It costs me close to £16.50 in fuel to visit some slopes.

Steve

• Like 1

Maria Freeman

At least , when you are stood on top of a hill , you will see the police coming . Like that is going to happen ?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

satinet
36 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

At least , when you are stood on top of a hill , you will see the police coming . Like that is going to happen ?!

Plod from the MOD came up Burton Dassett while I was flying to speak to me a few weeks ago.

Typical plod just interested in getting details .

• Haha 1

satinet
36 minutes ago, Maria Freeman said:

Plod from the MOD came up Burton Dassett while I was flying to speak to me a few weeks ago.

pete beadle

Hi SteveJ

It's actually a major part of "being British", that the facts don't matter - it's the principle that matters

An Englishman has a set of core values that are based on fairness and this runs through the whole history of Britain from its formation to the present day

I am fully aware that these new regulations are unenforceable, my friends in the Metropolitan Police tell me so, and I respect them for it.......but that is not the point, not complying with these regulations will be knowingly breaking the law. It's a generational thing and a product of my upbringing and, personally, I'm too old to change .....so, end of discussion...... I'm off for a nice cup of tea:):thumbsup:

Regards 

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

abbof3f
4 hours ago, satinet said:

Plod came up twice then ?lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

satinet

I must have looked like trouble

• Haha 2

Scram
20 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Plenty of time for Pushing up the roses. Reach for the skies while you can. 

Once I'm pushing up the roses, I don't think I will be too bothered about the CAA's goings on!!

... .... or anyone else's  :whistle:

mind you, the worms will be doing OK

Darren_O

The person in charge is on twitter, ask her for an exemption for unpowered aircraft @CharlotteV part of the reason we're caught up in this is because they cannot distinguish drones from model aircraft. This would give them an easy option.

pete beadle

Hi Darren-O

Now you're thinking like a proper tax accountant!:)

I know one thing, if I'd commissioned those CAA proposals as an outsourced job, I wouldn't have accepted their their wording of the "registered owner/flyer" part, they'd have got it back with a request for more clarity, and I wouldn't have paid them for it until I, at the very least, could understand it!

To me it sounds like a typical politician's answer.....lots of words, very little sense, and  capable of being interpreted in several ways at once:frantics: 

Regards 

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot
27 minutes ago, Darren_O said:

The person in charge is on twitter, ask her for an exemption for unpowered aircraft @CharlotteV part of the reason we're caught up in this is because they cannot distinguish drones from model aircraft. This would give them an easy option.

Can't distinguish between flown or programmed...

Are they even trying?

• Like 2

Darren_O

I'm not entirely sure they are trying.  I think it's simply ignorance of our hobby. We need to let people know model gliders even exist.

Maria Freeman
10 hours ago, satinet said:

What did they say ?