4th F3K 14-day Duration Challenge 2019

tonym

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't put a time for a while, but decided to do a long flight today.  It was pretty calm and although mostly overcast, looked like a easy thermal afternoon.  But it was pretty tricky a lot of the time and I tend to try to do longer flights when it is more tricky.   On this flight it took a min or so to find some lift, so I was initially going for 3min, but quickly upped that to a 5min, then thought, 'na, do a 10min'.   It was quite high and far at about 7,5min, so I headed back, went up wind and scouted across, but was losing height all the time.  10min passed and was heading back to me from up wind when I got a nice bump at about 75ft (looked lower!) about 100m upwind of me, so I went with it.  It was quite light, but built steadily.  Upped the target to 15mins.  At about 15mins I was a little downwind of me and not that high, but knew the lift was still about (swallows feeding) so kept going.  Hit 20mins and started heading back again but flew into really good lift so went up again. Once I got to about 25mins and about 1200ft, I just cruised around.  It wasn't really coming down, so when I hit 30mins I called it quits and did a steep dive home.  Fun flight!

Recorded time was 30:25.  The log time was slightly off.  Flying my NXT at about 265g.  Flight was at 4pm.  Max height 1259ft / 384m

F3K 20/05/2019 30:25

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 19.01.17.png

Nice flight. I did well over 30 mins last night with my nxt, only most of it was sitting in the top of a tall tree.... I was having a lovely time cruising back to the same spot, just over the trees, and getting away again and again, till i made a wrong turn, got away with minor damage thankfully, after a scary climb. Must be more careful.  

• Like 1