Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Motor repair

Tony

Hi

Flew this new 4-Max motor for 4 x 30' and decided it was too powerful for what I was flying so decided to take out and replace. After I took out and unhooked the Esc one of the wires popped clean out. As can be see it's just tinned at the end so I've no idea how it managed to work, there's no signs of it breaking or any kind of residue to indicate anything.

Can I solder this back in place and if so how do I do it and to what do I solder it to. It's the middle wire if that helps?

Asked 4-Max if I could return but they reckon the warranty doesn't cover as it's my fault.

IMG_20190426_095940838.thumb.jpg.d782a991ce0858c373c75b7b813a9017.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Tony

How long ago did you buy this?

and who did you buy it from? Was it direct from 4-Max?

Simplest thing to do is to send it back to the shop (or whoever) and say you are returning it because it wasn't fit for purpose, under the Sale of Goods Act. and you want a replacement that works.....:yes:

The moment you try to fix it yourself they'll refuse to take it back:no:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

Cheers Pete

Yes bought from them direct explained above nearly word for word and got this reply

"This is classified as a customer induced fault and therefore is not covered by our guarantee"

Not sure If I can be Ar##d to send it back as I asked that in my first e mail and they said they don't do repairs. I just won't buy anything off them anymore pity as I quite liked their stuff, there loss.  Including P&P that's £30 down the drain.  Or maybe I will as it's getting me angry!

I did pick up two discontinued EMax motors that are about the same off Robot Birds for £13 apiece. I was going to buy another one of 4 Max as well so I've saved summat.

Tony

Forgot. Bought it this year 1st April (Just my luck!) only flight 2 weeks ago plus bench tested it for about 45 seconds

Kyri

It is possible that the windings terminate and this wire (and the other two) are soldered onto the windings. 

A bad joint with high resistance could have meant it came off through heating or movement. 

Are you able to see the area where it could have come off? Can you get to it with a soldering iron somehow through the case? If so it could be repaired possibly.

• Like 1

PeteMitchell
4 hours ago, Tony said:

Can I solder this back in place and if so how do I do it and to what do I solder it to. It's the middle wire if that helps

The 3 motor wires on most motors I have seen, are very often the actual motor windings and are virtually impossible to solder anywhere apart from the end where you fit a plug.

Never seen a wire pull out of a motor like that Tony, but from the pic it looks like the wires are not motor windings so  you should be able to solder it back in place.  

It looks like you would first have to remove the retaining  circlip which appears to be  holding the end plate into which the wires go.

The end plate will probably be hard to pull off because of the motor magnets, but once its off you should be able to solder the wire back.

Hope that helps

Stormeflyer

Quote from Which online:

How long do you have to return a faulty product?

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (October 1st) you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly. 

This right is limited to 30 days from the date you take ownership of your product. After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period. 

This right to a refund doesn't apply to products you've bought as downloads, though - such as music, games or apps. 

You can, however, ask for a digital product to be repaired or replaced if it develops a fault. And if this isn't possible, or is unsuccessful, you have the right to receive a price reduction. 

‘Outside this time period you have the right for a repair or replacement!

pete beadle

Hi Stormeflyer

Unfortunately there's the Law and there's what usually happens if you get sold a duff product by a rogue

There is always the possibility that the more clued up rogue seller will simply say "That's all very interesting, so sue me, and let's see who wins"

The County Court process can be slow and expensive, many many wronged customers just walk away and say, as Tony suggested "I'll never deal with you thieving b*****ds ever again!, and Mr Rogue Trader knows this very well!.........Please don't ask how I know this!!!:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Scram

If it is no longer covered by warranty, it's simple.

Take it apart and solder the wire back on.  Nothing lost if it does not work.  A motor gained if it does  :thumbsup:

Stormeflyer

Hi Pete

I know exactly what you mean, reputable traders will usually resolve issues without much fuss once they understand the situation. But I’ve been there too and wasted lots of time and effort only to become more miffed! 

“Once bitten twice shy!” 🥺

Tony

Well today I shall have a go. Typical isn't it I've had a small arbor press for years that get's used once in a blue moon which I chucked on my last house move! So it's out with a cloth, vice, a bit of wood and a hammer. I haven't done it this way for a long time to get the shaft out do doubt I'll hit myself somewhere! Funny as I need to reverse two shafts on the bargain EMAX motors I got.

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Good old "Murphy's Law".....I've been trying to beat it for nearly 70 years, haven't managed it once!:no::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

Yip and it got me Pete. EMax 1 motor shaft reversal done. EMax 2 motor shaft reversal-Murphy paid a call! The grub screw just wouldn't come out moved it a mm then the allen bit got knackered and I wasn't going to drill it out. I had a knackered one from a couple of months ago so did a bit of swapping here and there  so have two now, happy days. Tried repairing the 4 max one. Not a chance the solder on the joint looked as though it had snapped in two or it looked as though it was just a butt joint there was no way I could solder it as there was no space and electronics are a bit of the dark arts at the best of times.

• Like 1