Sign in to follow this  
GeoffN

Aileron servo removal help

GeoffN

Hi, flying my Air One the othe day I noticed that the roll response had become sluggish.  Fearing a duff battery even though I have a low receiver battery alarm setup I landed immediately remembering not to use flaps. The left hand aileron servo was not responding. If the servo is manually moved off center and power applied the servo immediately moves to the correct neutral position. Wiring checks out ok.  So the servo has to come out .Its been epoxyed in without being rapped in masking tape and is half hidden under the wing skin. I've ground away as much epoxy as I can but the servo will not budge. Before I get brutal and start grinding away at the servo does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove the servo?

servo.jpg

isoaritfirst

A sharp tap. Use a drift to allow the knock to run in line with the wing skin so as not to stress mark it. 

Munch197

Aaah the Hyperion atlas servos had my fair share of trouble with them... I'd replace any more on the airframe for the kst equivalent (135's if I remember correctly).

Screenshot_20190503_224220.jpg

satinet

Loop of wire round the head (servo arm). Sharp tug with pliers or grips.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi GeoffN

Before you try any of these suggestions I would suggest that, if you can see the edge of the puddle of epoxy your servo is probably sitting in, you should try heating the edge(s) of the epoxy you can see, with a heat gun......try and get hold of a gun that has a fitting that directs the hot air in a line and start heating with a low/warm  temperature, gradually increase it until you can see the epoxy reacting, stop, do it again - and again, if necessary:yes: and get a helper to use the wire, pliers or whatever you are pulling the servo arm, body  with, and - take it easy - the localised heat will change the epoxy's structure until you'll see something very similar to chewing gum.......softly, softly does the job (I find anyway):thumbsup::)

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF

Gave up on the Hyperion wing servo long ago, and have used the Turnigy 712 or 777, which for me have behave faultlessly, for over 5 years now. The 777 are virtually the same size as MKS 6125's . I found this out after building my Watts New, as they are the only one's that will fit in between the rib spacing.

Never found wrapping servo's in masking tape very good. Always use heat shrink, over the casing, removing the servo arm then shrink it carefully over the case. Rough up side to be epoxied onto the surface allocated, then use Araldite Rapid to glue in( this is a bit flexible, than other epoxy glues)

Then if you need to remove the servo, a scalpel knife through the heat shrink on top enables the servo to come out easily, the residue glue removed carefully with a Dremel tool, ready to re attach.

GeoffN

Thanks for all the advice . A cobination of hair dryer on hot ,a carefully applied soldering iron and a sharp tug on string wrapped around the servo horn did the trick.  The replacement servo just arrived so flying tomorrow. I did not want the trauma of having to replace the other aileron servo so using the same make for the replacment. 

• Like 1