martynk

4th 2019 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 4th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2019

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

GuyB

Hi

An hour on the field with both my daughters aged 3 and 8. Invented a game where they had to chase the bungee flag when it left the glider. 

Conditions were perfect means this a relatively short time which should be beaten 

Madres. Sunday 12th May. 7:40

Guy 

martynk

Well done Guy. That's a great start. I was flying at Watford at a UKCAA event today. Beautiful weather but possibly a bit too breezy at times to get the model back. How does the madres cope with a breeze? 

I'll update the table tomorrow 

GuyB

Wind today was so light that the thermals were causing complete changes in wind direction 

To answer your question the Madres will not be great in anything more than c.10 mph. But anything more than that and it’s fun on the slope with other models. 

• Like 1

martynk

image.png.96f686a4dc166c5e2ccb828c3445935f.png

Brian Taylor

Sorted out a bungee and got myself a model to build ( Samba RES Evo ) so hope to be taking part in a month or two.

Brian

Whitmore

Nice to see some activity in the 2m Challenge - unfortunately I broke my ankle at Easter and can't launch anything for a month or two. I might be able to tie up with a pal and get them to do the walking bit for me. 😧

Jon

• Sad 2

martynk

Sorry to hear that John. Hope you get a speedy recovery. Cracking article in Aeromodeller by the way. Very interesting.

I believe that we will have another Peterborough member joining us as well who shall remain nameless until he announces it.  :)  

I just need to get out. Every calm day opportunity for the past month or so, I have had other commitments. Don't want Guy to think there is no other interest here..

• Like 1

Whitmore

Thanks Martyn - appreciate that. It's a fun little class with lots of scope for development. The Ferry 500 is very much the basic starting point (designed by Boffin of this parish) but a lot of fun for club competition. The plan and timer details are now up on our site:

http://peterboroughmfc.org/Ferry500.html

http://peterboroughmfc.org/Ferry500-Timer.html

17 hours ago, martynk said:

I believe that we will have another Peterborough member joining us as well who shall remain nameless until he announces it.  :)  

Yes, we've been chatting about whether we can (finally) get some F3-RES flying arranged...

Jon

martynk

Well, I managed to get out on Thursday which (according to the forecast which was correct) would be the calmest for a few days. When I got to the field, it was quite breezy so I ballasted up the model and tried a hand launch. Which was a big mistake. The glide was OK and penetrated well but on landing the model blew over  badly and crumpled the inner panel.. It looks like the joint between the carbon cap and balsa web/spar had failed.

Way beyond a field repair so I have taken the opportunity to strip the covering off the wing and check for further damage.  I found several cracks in the sheeting and one other cracked sub spar . So a bit of a repair and recover job in progress.

image.thumb.png.0121b5a365a30601ecc10d87d50802aa.png

So. Guy won this one again.. Well done Guy.  

paulj

Ouch Martyn - that looks nasty (but thankfully repairable!).