Hello from Swindon

Spock

Hi all,

I have been into this hobby back in Spain at least 10 years, then I moved few years ago to UK and I bought a Solius, but I haven´t flight it yet, overall due to not being sure about laws and regulations here.

I am aware that this post might not be the correct one to ask about some guidance on what do I need (BMFA insurance? BMFA "A" certificate?) and also if anybody knows any glider club around Swindon.

In Spain I used to flight either gliders on thermal and slope, and also ICE sport airplanes.

So I hope to meet the RC airplane community in UK and enjoy your beatiful slopes!!!

Regards

There are a few good slopes not too far from Swindon. www.slopehunter should help. The BMFA club finder should help too.

There is the Open slope event at White Sheet next Sunday, if the weather gets it's act sorted out.

15 hours ago, wookman said:

There are a few good slopes not too far from Swindon. www.slopehunter should help. The BMFA club finder should help too.

There is the Open slope event at White Sheet next Sunday, if the weather gets it's act sorted out.

Hi wookman,

Thanks for letting me know about the white sheet, I have sent them an email.

About the slope hunter website, I knew it but i am not sure if I can fly on any slope without asking for permission to the land owner (how I contact them?) and also without having any license and/or insurance from the BMFA. Can I just go and fly?

On 11/05/2019 at 21:32, f3fman said:

Are you aware of the Swindon Model Aero Club  ?

http://www.smac2000.org.uk/

Yes I saw it, although I am looking for a soaring club for flying on slopes, but maybe that is the only club I have around.

You can join the BMFA, just takes a phone call, you can join on line. https://bmfa.org/Join-Renew/Join-the-BMFA.

If you are flying with a BMFA affiliated club they will insist on membership.

Lots of the slopes on slope hunter are on public access land so you may not need permission to fly. The local flyers will help you out.

• 3 months later...