Idea for a "F3F Community" Project

Brett82

Hi all

I recently helped out and had support from Dave and Mark in setting up some PiCam trackers for the Midlands guys.  It wasn't a massive project but it was awesome getting ideas from the other two and getting the units to the point where we could test them a few weeks ago. After some initial issues we started getting some half decent results and I think after some more testing they will be really absolutely amazing to have. 

Now my side of the project is done, my fingers are twitching again. I've always wanted to layup my on glider, pull it from the moulds and go race it, it would just be an incredible sense of achievement. I read about a certain European designed who is no longer producing a certain high performance model, and has offered out the master plugs for people to make their own moulds for non commercial use. I was going to try see if I could get the plugs and make my own moulds when I had an idea.

Years ago I read about a group in South Africa who basically promoted people learning to layup and make planes. They had moulds and you paid for the materials but you would be included in making your plane. Three people would work on a model in a ladder system. you help build the plane of the two people in front of you and once you get to the third model, that will be your plane and you choose the colours scheme and the people coming after you help build your plane. 

What if we spoke to the designer to see if we could set up something like that? Doesn't have to be the same process, but something where anyone interested in laying up there own model could be supported by someone that has done it before and it only costs you the materials of the build. That way the more experienced person could make sure the moulds don't get damaged. Nobody makes money, so its strictly non commercial.

We could even go further to say if you are more than happy with the model and think its worth more to you than what you paid for the materials, you could donate an extra £50-£100 quid towards a fund. That money can then either go to charity or be used to fund a model for a new comer to the sport. For instance, if a club has someone join and express an interest in F3F but cant afford a shiny new model, they could get the person to race with what they have for a year to prove commitment. Then, if they prove themselves, the club could nominate them to receive a model for a discounted price, like what ever the person could afford. 

I think it would be a great way to promote the sport and get more people into it. I haven't mentioned the designer or the model in question as I want to speak with him first to get his approval but I thought I would see what interest their is on here. Lets just say its quick, a British pilot has gone sub 30 with one. If you know who it is, please dont mention it on here until we have spoken to him.

Brett

• Like 1

Thats something I hadn't thought about and is a good idea. I tried contacting the designer on the weekend but no reply yet. A few people here know him personally so i might PM them to see if they can speak to him.

I think the biggest issue we are going to have is getting the master plugs over from Germany. They are bulky and heavy so we may need to see if anyone flying in a Euro tour comp is driving between Europe and the UK and will have space to fit them in so would need to be a decent size vehicle. Good old F3F courier service... lol

Glad Im not the only one who is keen to give it a go. There is enough info out there to learn to do it and Ive seen a thread where at least three people in Germany have done it and successfully made some planes. 

1 hour ago, Brett82 said:

... a decent size vehicle...

Like a long wheelbase Vauxhall Vivaro, for instance?

28 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Like a long wheelbase Vauxhall Vivaro, for instance?

That would work... :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've had a reply from the designer and he has said it will be OK. So, drum role please.....

The glider is the Caldera R, designed by Dieter Perlick. I'm sure most of you know its an awesome design and very quick. The master moulds are currently with Peter Kowalski in Germany, I've emailed him to see if he is able to take them to one of the Eurotour events that John will be attending so he can bring them back. I will be making some moulds  for myself and the community idea, but I'm guessing one or two people might also wish to make some for themselves.

The other option that I'm getting confirmation on, is there may actually be a brand new set of moulds already made up that we could purchase. I think they would be out my price range but I'm still waiting to hear back on how much. Could be an option for a few people to chip in then you have access to moulds to make your own planes.

If anyone knows of anyone travelling from Germany to the Euro comps in Norway and Asturius that may be able take the master moulds to hand over to John then please let me know by PM. I will post updates here for those interested. 

Brett

P.S. just to tempt a few of you... my current Caldera R

Caldera R.png

• Like 1

Sorry, Brett, I misled you about Norway. I’m going by plane, so it is Asturias only. 

Another possibility is that the items could be brought to one of the UK Eurotours.

29 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Sorry, Brett, I misled you about Norway. I’m going by plane, so it is Asturias only. 

Another possibility is that the items could be brought to one of the UK Eurotours.

No problem buddy. Hopefully we can get someone from Germany to bring them over. 

Then we can send them back with you when you head to Asturias. 

I think Daniel is coming to HOH, anyone know if he drives or flies?

Ok, just realised he is coming to Wales, not HOH.

We may need to wait for Asturios as I dont see anyone from Germany coming to HOH. 

When Peter comes back to me we can see what he says. 

isoaritfirst

In a chat recently with JP, who has don a bit of this sort of thing, he mentioned that you need a dedicated clean space. 

So you end up with probably 3 areas. Work space, layup, and paint. 

Maybe If it moves forward as a group project, finding a lockup somewhere may help. 

You could also have a chat with jean-Luc who may be able to offer some help. 

• Like 2