MikeDLG

Learning the hard way

MikeDLG

Now that I am launching right handed again, I have been flying my Revolution a fair bit. I got it last year just before my shoulder went, so didn’t get to fly it much.   I have just arrived at setting that is really working for me and am very much enjoying flying it.   I had been flying for a couple of hours and was just about done, was just doing some launch practice and as I was launching a gust blew my cap off. It hit the tail and and sent it in to the ground, hard!  The wing snapped, tail is a bit damaged and the nose cone was pushed back into the wing. No damage to the fuse, luckily.   

I am very annoyed, but I’ll take more care of my head gear in the future!  Gonna be a tricky repair, but I’ll do it.   

901D6C05-15D9-49D4-B266-2287B43E0F0C.jpeg

670A1240-DDC2-4D3D-A256-464099161B89.jpeg

2845ED4B-785A-4B15-BF94-BB4E58B14731.jpeg

A176F50A-5B9F-4414-B2D7-4C3123FF3F3C.jpeg

EF47B4CC-546E-4633-A474-11AB0234A6E0.jpeg

• Sad 1

Paul Gleeson

Oh No!

I once had my sunglasses *almost* fly off my face. Fortunately they stopped in an Eric Morecambe position and I was able to see the glad again. I have prescription sunglasses so no chance of seeing the glider without them.

My tilley hat also falls off, so I need to learn from this.

Hope the repair works out ok. At least the break is on the right wing root, so not so much load at launch.

cirrusRC

Sorry to see this.  Must surely be a freak accident and very unlucky.

Look forward to following how you repair it.

mikef

What a shame.  I tie my hat on - I thought all Tilleys had the lace I got with mine...

EB1CC72F-A96F-4A79-B17B-F8EF8597BD36.jpeg

• Like 1

Simon B

Always horrible when it happens, especially to a new model, I did a similar thing with my sunglasses once, but thankfully did more damage to them than the model. It looks bad, but fixable eh.

• Like 1

MikeDLG

I have discovered another (major) factor in this accident.   Ages ago I needed a tailplane bolt for another model (possibly one of Gav’s for the Euros last year) and since I wasn’t flying this model, I took one from it.  When I came to fly this model again, I didn’t have another aluminium bolt spare, so I used one of the nylon ones I had spare, for the front hole.  

My cap must have hit the left hand leading edge of the tail, the nylon bolt sheared and the tail rotated CCW until it hit the fin.  Of course this rotatation moved the elevator horn further away from the servo, so it pulled the elevator down resulting in a nasty crash.  Luckily, the pilot ejected in time!

So no more nylon bolts for me!  There is a chance that if it was an underslung tail, I might have got away with it as the elevator would have been pulled up.  

38315A06-C822-4DF1-91AA-847A9E0F1F3D.jpeg

Marin Mitev

I would say it is better to just tie the hat on as Mike said. If your hat has no laces you can use CA and accelerator :)

• Like 1

Paul Gleeson

You’ve inspired me Mike!

I have an old Stark with the wing broken in two and the boom snapped in the middle. The nose is also a bit crushed. 

Repairs have started....

12mm carbon tow glued with CA under each skin, and the wing brought together with a good dose of Gorilla glue. It will expand to fill any voids in the foam. 

Boomed aligned and first stabilising spread tow carbon applied. 

Away this weekend so plenty of time for everything to set. 

• Like 1

Paul Gleeson

Here is the result of your inspiration on my old Stark, boom snapped, nose broken off and wing in 2 pieces.

I thought I can learn some repair techniques and get it flying again.

The boom and nose were repaired as per this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmYpPVUyws Then I also put some carbon cloth on the inside and packed the nose with a plastic bag filled with sand to make sure it was pressed hard again the sides.

I got the wing back together with some gorilla glue to fill any gaps in the foam and taped it tightly together. Then a carbon patched on the d-box, and over that some glass fabric. Got as much epoxy off with paper towels, then pulled a plastic sheet tightly over to get a smooth surface. Bit of primer, sanding and polish the wing is done. Really like the fact that the repaired area is as shiny as the original skin.

All good skills to learn. Part of the joy of F3K

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_E4730.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

• Like 1

MikeDLG

Nice work Paul!  I haven't started on mine yet.

Paul Gleeson

Airframe all repaired. The boom has a slight twist in it. Should have checked more accurately. 

Its had a hard life, but better to crash with a "cheaper" DLG while you are learning...

Need to find some cheap alternatives to a KSTX08. Not spending another £70 to get this flying again. 

Need to be a similar size. Height especially. Any ideas?

IMG_4762.JPG

Kyri

Excellent work!!

Paul Gleeson

Sorted to geometry of the tail due to the twisted boom. Levelled the stab with some sanding on the mount.

I protected the tail and boom with tin foil, then tried to soften the epoxy with a heat gun. It came off quite easily, although the foam in the fin did deform at little. I think the foil helped a lot, and next time (hope there it not one) I'll take it slower.

Neil Harrison

awesome job Vin 🤩

• Haha 1

Mark Evans

I should join in, cause I just slipped on a wet floor and snapped my NXT wing in half. Strong wings though, almost held up my 52kg. But I'm not as skilled in repairs as you guys, and it can go to a new home. 

Paul Gleeson

No!

How much of the NXT did you build? 

Mark Evans

It’s been flying since the bmfa weekender. I’m having one of those day haha. 

Marc Sinclair

Great repair work and video 

Thanks for sharing chaps!

Sorry  to hear about your ding Mark! 

Mark Evans

Ha! thanks! When I looked at it again it's a pretty easy repair, bottom skin doesn't have a single delam, not even the aileron hinge is damaged. But, it's going on to a new home, Vortex 3 due to take its place 😃

MikeDLG

I am not having luck at the mo.  Orange NXT went in today.  Just lost all control.  Was circling at 180ft and it just stopped responding and nosed in to the ground.  No idea what caused it.  It was operational when I got to it, data logger logged it all, battery voltage fine.  I had been flying for 1,5hrs.  No other tx's on.  

Damage is not too bad.  Wing looks ok, but fuse has fair amount of damage.   Argh.

• Sad 3