Soarer purchase advice

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Good morning.

Getting back into RC gliding after 25 years. Recently bought an "Alula"  and Taranis X9D/micro servos and had a few flights off the flat.

I would like to buy a half descent 2.5 metre soarer (ailerons/rudder/elevator/airbrakes etc) in the near future along with an  winch line/surgical tubbing and drum etc.   

Money is a little tight so cannot afford something as beautiful as that "Shinto".

Can any of you chaps/ladies give me some advice please? 

Second hand market perhaps?

Thank you and happy flying!

Marc 

Marc RC pilot

Also does joining the BARCS cover a person for insurance to fly?

Also I have been buying gear from Hyperflight web site.

No. But BMFA does. Membership of either releases one from the recently imposed height restrictions as well.

Marc RC pilot
21 hours ago, oipigface said:

No. But BMFA does. Membership of either releases one from the recently imposed height restrictions as well.

Thank you oipigface, that is good to know.

20 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Slap

You've made a good start by asking your question here on the BARCS forum

You've also made a very telling statement by saying you can't afford a "Shinto"........I've been flying gliders for over 50 years and I can't afford a Shinto either! What interests me is how you've jumped straight from asking about trainer/intermediate planes to a top of the range F3F racer........quite a jump in specification!

Can I suggest you slow down a bit now? I know it's hard to contain your enthusiasm but, when starting (or re-starting) any sport, rushing into anything invariably raises the chances of making a wrong decision and you don't want that at this crucial point in getting what you want

Asking about insurance is a GOOD THING, you are obviously taking this re-start seriously and sensibly, IMHO now's the time to reduce the urgency with which you are making your first, very important purchase, and to do more research........wait for more replies here, don't get fixated on getting the best first, and look back at what you did last time you entered the hobby

It is a well known fact that I personally ALWAYS recommend starting with something pre-owned, pre-loved, used but not abused, second or even third hand model for a first purchase.  Ttreat this first purchase as an excercise in spending wisely:yes:

Make a list........what DO you want? Not which specific plane do you want.....refine your search by feeding in other members suggestions, compare and contrast what they are suggesting......DON'T look forward to pouncing on the first "bargain" you hear about, there are lots and lots of people out there who are considering their futures in this time of change in the hobby, most of them WILL have planes to sell......be prepared by knowing what you want

If you haven't already joined a silent flight club, look around and see what local club might suit you and wait for more replies here, we won't put you on the wrong path, I promise you:)

Best of luck in making your choice I hope you get it right first time - I didn't!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Pete, thank you for all that great advice sir! Much appreciated! :)

Yes agreed it is  a big jump from a styrofoam tiny Alula and what you say makes good sense (I tend to get into things 110%...the good and the bad). I used to fly F3B-type gliders of the flat back in the day; 3 metre models was my favourite span for what I enjoyed (mainly thermal hunting/scratching). I will defo be doing research and looking into the second hand market with my mental brakes set to ON :) thank you.

I was thinking of dropping down to a 2.5m sailplane (easier transition/something a little more manoeuvrable to have some fun with) as my first serious fly-buy, dihedral wings, carbon spars at least, rudder elevator ailerons and airbrakes.  Budget will be approx. £200.

I'm expecting a few hundred quid in the next month or so which should give me time to research and hopefully get lucky.

Will look into joining a silent flight club for sure and get insured etc.

Again, thank you for all that great advice and info Pete. If there is one thing that will never change in this hobby/sport is the comradery and support we all share.

Now need to get my head around the billion and one options/programming with these digital RC units...

Cheers

Marc 

PS are there any hills for a bit of fun slope soaring in Central London? I live in Acton (5 min walk from Wormwood scrubs field)

4 hours ago, Slap said:

PS are there any hills for a bit of fun slope soaring in Central London? I live in Acton (5 min walk from Wormwood scrubs field)

Hi Marc,

It you want some real fun soaring, get a proper DLG (meaning an Alula is not a 'proper' Discuss Launch Glider), a decent 1.5m DLG is a HUGE performance increase over an Alula.  I fly DLG at Richmond Park, so not too far from you.  I would be happy to meet up some time and give you a demo.  

Michael

Marc RC pilot

Thanks Pete.

Ahhhh the Algebra...I loved that glider, seemed like a thoroughbred/great design ahead of it's time for me....Gutted when I saw it spiral down over Scrubs field from great height (loss of transmition) and ending up like a javelin... Lovely plane and cheap due to construction materials/quality of build in comparisson to the Shintos out there.

Scrubs is a large field and has a long established RC community there. It is all above board with a section of the field being pylon'd off/notice board etc.

I used to fly in Richmond park (gliders only) which is fantastic and a bunch of hard-core glidder pilots and flying club. Nice environment.

To honest about foamies, I personaly  don't think I could take another one... :) No disrespect to the foamers out there, they have there place and your sugestion of guerrilla flying is perfect for them.They can take a good thrashing as well....Bless.

Ive been up since the crack of dawn researching (obssesing)...I fear I will soon need BARCS coucelling ;)

Cheers Pete

Marc RC pilot
6 minutes ago, MikeDLG said:

Hi Marc,

It you want some real fun soaring, get a proper DLG (meaning an Alula is not a 'proper' Discuss Launch Glider), a decent 1.5m DLG is a HUGE performance increase over an Alula.  I fly DLG at Richmond Park, so not too far from you.  I would be happy to meet up some time and give you a demo.  

Michael

I hear what you're saying about effecient specific hand launch designs Michael.

I will look into the DLG 1.5 metre for sure and thank you for your kind offer to meet. I will pop  down to Richmond for a visit soon. When do you chaps usually turn up? Still mainly on weekends? 

Thanks Michael

Marc RC pilot
3 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Thank you for not mentioning Richmond Park Pete...After looking at the prices I understand and appreciate your duty of care towards me... :)

I'm afraid that Michael has let the cat out of the bag. I wonder if the Richmond DLG gang take coupons? ;) .

To be honest, if I had the means, I would not bat an eyelid to buy a high performance/built DLG discuss launched sailplane/lift scratcher along with a Shinto and all the paraphernalia that goes with it...Would still keep the Alula because she is so portable,  pretty manoeuvrable, fun, cheap to ding replace parts and looks like a bird of prey in flight.

I will ponder on all your suggestions Pete, thanks.

SilentPilot

It’s a shame you’re ruling out Foamies. 

I’ve got a Radian XL that I could be tempted to part with. It is a 2.6m version of the original 2m Radian. Though if you’re going by internet search results and forum posts you might be put off. It does have a reputation for being a bit of a porker. True it is heavy, true the climb rate isn’t high enough to be competitive in comps, but it glides really well. The extra weight actually helps!

As a lazy flier that can soar on weak thermals it is almost as good as the 2m version. Where it gets better, strangely enough, is landing. The original Radian is a great floater. Too good in fact. Without brakes it can be a challenge to land! I’ve overshot many times!

The RXL has airbrakes and so is much easier to get down to a spot landing despite the larger size :) 

Marc RC pilot
17 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

It’s a shame you’re ruling out Foamies. 

I’ve got a Radian XL that I could be tempted to part with. It is a 2.6m version of the original 2m Radian. Though if you’re going by internet search results and forum posts you might be put off. It does have a reputation for being a bit of a porker. True it is heavy, true the climb rate isn’t high enough to be competitive in comps, but it glides really well. The extra weight actually helps!

As a lazy flier that can soar on weak thermals it is almost as good as the 2m version. Where it gets better, strangely enough, is landing. The original Radian is a great floater. Too good in fact. Without brakes it can be a challenge to land! I’ve overshot many times!

The RXL has airbrakes and so is much easier to get down to a spot landing despite the larger size :) 

Thanks for info SP! Looks like you have a real lift scratcher there m8.  2.6 is a great size for a bit of everything as well I think.

7 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Marc

PM sent to you just now

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Thanks Pete

• 1 year later...
Marc RC pilot
On 17/05/2019 at 10:51, MikeDLG said:

Hi Marc,

Michael

A year and a half later, and after taking your advice and help from others, I have been on the dlg & OpenTX programming learning curves which includes: flying, crashing, repairing, soldering, building, batteries chargers, new tech/old tech and slowly acquiring the necessary paraphernalia that a modeller needs etc.

I just want to thank you all for the help and advice along the way and for rekindling an old soarers passion and spirits (not to mention putting up with my million questions...) :)

Thank you  

Marc

• Like 2