RX antena placement/noisy servos advise on an Alula

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Hi,

I had a couple of "loss/regain transmission" alarms  the other day.  What is the best place for the two short antenna wires to be place on/in an Alula soarer?

Also servos are rather twitch-noisy (but servos don't actually twitch, sounds like interference, was way better when on field). Any issues with this model receiver?    

I'm using a Frsky Taranis X9D transmiter, Frsky DX4R receiver,  2x 4.8g DMG Servos, Rx Battery 4.8V NiMH 300mAh.

Thank you 

Hi Slap.

My mk1 Alula has a little Spekky rx with one aerial under the battery and the other stuck up in the air above "canopy" area. Couple of diddy super tecs do the wiggly stuff. Not sure how much help that is going to be coz I think you only have the one aerial. Best advise would be keep it away from the servo cables and battery as best you can, easier said than I guess!

At the ranges we fly these things antenna placement shouldn’t be critical, the only valid reason for lost/regained is swamping at very close quarters. 

Re jitters, I had endless twitching on my own Alula, also with X4R. Slightly better with RX6R. Others have reported the same issue. I gave up trying to find the cause,  completely cured it by using M-LINK external module and MPX 5 ch light rx.

37 minutes ago, rc-soar said:

At the ranges we fly these things antenna placement shouldn’t be critical, the only valid reason for lost/regained is swamping at very close quarters. 

Re jitters, I had endless twitching on my own Alula, also with X4R. Slightly better with RX6R. Others have reported the same issue.

hi mike/slap,  try turning off the telemetry on binding option screen,  the telemetry that can some servos jittering.

Slap try hang an antenna on the outside see if it stops the warnings, if it does then its too close to a piece of kit and picking up interference

Thanks Rich.

Yesterday I tried to bind with telemetry off using the original firmware  and it didn't make any difference to the jitter issue. However following your post, I flashed my X4R with the latest firmware, and can confirm:  binding with 'telemetry off', using the latest firmware, fixes the jitter problem.  The servos are quieter than a mouse!

The 170322 firmware is here:

https://www.frsky-rc.com/x4r/

Mike

• Like 1

It's a known problem with some servos. 

But you shouldn't get range problems in small foamie no matter where you put the aerials.

Marc RC pilot

Thank you all for help chaps! Problem now fixed thank you. :) 

I now have some issues with SD card on my trany after spending most of the day trying to get my head around the software/setup etc/flashing BIOS...I also broke my antenna (Transmitter fell off my desk) and my new replacement servo is playing up...I feel like  jumping off London bridge whilst flapping my arms like a pigeon … :)

On 17/05/2019 at 17:20, rc-soar said:

I flashed my X4R with the latest firmware

How is this done, Mike?

Marc RC pilot
5 minutes ago, oipigface said:

How is this done, Mike?

Good question oipigface . Seems to be some reception stability fixes with latest firmware. I would like to know as well.

I flashed to the latest firmware for transmitter but I have an error message about the SD when switching on trany ("Expected version 2.2V0018"). I am showing version: 2.2.3 firmware.

Any suggestions on an antenna replacement? Modular perhaps? Pros and cons?

Using a FrskyTaranis X9D Plus transmiter, Frsky DX4R receiver, 2x 4.8g DMG Servos, Rx Battery 4.8V NiMH 300mAh.

Thanks for the help and support.  

Samurai_bowing.jpg

You have XJT module firmware (EU and non EU)

You have opentx firmware...bin file

You have bootloader firmware (same as above but shorter filename)

When you download opentx firmware you also need to download the SD card files which you use to replace the ones on Taranis SD card.

I've just been through all this with a new TX.  My SD card failed the first time I tried to write to it.  They are junk and would never trust stock SD cards

Mark Evans

Yeah the stock card seem to fail pretty easy, usually after the first or 2nd time switching on. I use SD card formatter program and it brings them right back life. Never had one fail after being formatted. 

Marc RC pilot

Also windows seems to have issues with SD card (I cannot access it/keeps cutting out if I go through the trims/on button/USB connection to PC, but seems to work If I plug in transmitter directly to USB whilst unit is on...

I also have these 2 system files in SD folder which I am not sure about (they where there before I copied over latest SD card files/I could not delete them. 

I am confused.com

I would....

1. Backup models and contents of SD card to pc.

2. Take SD card out of Taranis and put in card reader attached to pc

3. Format D drive the one with SD contents on

4. Download SD contents 2.2v0018 from the link I provided and copy to SD card

5. Put SD card back in TX and turn on

6. Restore your models and anything else you need.

image.png.35afc9fdd9741c0e75b964408b1f75e6.png

this is contents of my SD card.   Note the sdcard.version file.       Suggests your copy did not work.     I'm not sure what version you were on before upgrading to latest firmware .......

Mark Evans

Hey slap, I'm using 2.2.3 also. I could just send you the full contents of my card, I also have the Amber sounds on there which are much smoother on the ears. All it's missing is the 'welcome to open tx' greeting as it annoyed me at every switch on so I deleted that file. 

Marc RC pilot

Gentlemen, thank you for your help and advice.

I picked up and new 16Gig (smallest they had)Micro SD card/card reader from Argos and formatted it(FAT32) for safe measures, copied over all the correct version files and she now works a treat! :)