Antena replacement advicefor Taranis X9D Plus

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Morning all 

I broke my transmitter aerial and looking for a replacement. Any suggestions please? One of those modular type ones perhaps? 

I'm using a FrskyTaranis X9D Plus transmiter, Frsky DX4R receiver, 2x 4.8g DMG Servos, Rx Battery 4.8V NiMH 300mAh.

Thanks

Looking at the advert, yes you will. It's a shame they didn't use the little plugs used on the receivers. I am in a different country to my transmitter, so I can't have a look to see how tight it is on the board. I suspect it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you follow ESD (Electrostatic discharge) protection rules, and don't overheat the connection.

Marc RC pilot
1 hour ago, paulj said:

Look what I found on YouTube:

Funny, I was just looking at/going to post same video Paul !. Thanks for your  help and advice sir! :) 

Since I will be soldering, does anyone have any suggestions for another type of antenna?  Or are the standard ones ok?

I know some of the multicopter community use a higher gain antenna, but I am not sure that is a good idea. With the original specification, you can be confident the signal strengths etc are inside the regulations, and you run less risk of swamping your flying mates. If I was doing mine, I would definitely go for the original equipment :)

If you are feeling really tight you can save £2.95 (+P&P?). It looks like the aerial wire is undamaged but the plastic pivot of the aerial has broken.

If so you can just drill a 1mm hole in from either side of the mounting point and use two very short self tapping screws (about 3mm) to make a new pivot. Take care not to drill into the aerial wire!

I did this to a Futaba F8 about 5 years ago and it is still going strong - stronger than the original plastic

Marc RC pilot
2 hours ago, paulj said:

I know some of the multicopter community use a higher gain antenna, but I am not sure that is a good idea. With the original specification, you can be confident the signal strengths etc are inside the regulations, and you run less risk of swamping your flying mates. If I was doing mine, I would definitely go for the original equipment :)

Makes sense Paul, thx.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

If you are feeling really tight you can save £2.95 (+P&P?). It looks like the aerial wire is undamaged but the plastic pivot of the aerial has broken.

If so you can just drill a 1mm hole in from either side of the mounting point and use two very short self tapping screws (about 3mm) to make a new pivot. Take care not to drill into the aerial wire!

I did this to a Futaba F8 about 5 years ago and it is still going strong - stronger than the original plastic

Really tight works for me Peter :). Brilliant simple idea, thx m8. 

• 2 weeks later...