EMP Algebra 2.5m

mhodgson

Decided to visit the Free Flights Nationals and it has been quite enlightening particularly watching the glider flyers and their ciecke towing.

Not much in terms of buying and selling but I did manage to get, of all things) a complete kit for an Algebra 2.5m, glass fus, for a staggering  £25!!!

At moment plan will be to build it as an aileron/flap calm weather slope model and to keep generally to the plan/kit (other than glassing the wings), unless anyone has any other suggestions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I think it is  mk1. The wing panels are in one piece but the plan shows three different options for dihedral.  Straight, poly (equal split panels) or tip (with flat inners).

It also shows aileron option.

Balast tubes are in kit.

Thought of using flaps mainly because I am terrible at fitting airbrakes cleanly and getting them to work properly, flaps are just easier to do. May go with just ailerons and use them as spoilerons- that worked well on another soarer I had.

There was a 2.5m Algebra version with single wing panels that had a thinner wing profile (RG14). Worth confirming which you have as that version would benefit from flaps/crow brakes.

The 'racer' version.

I did check carefully. The wing is definitely flat on the rear lower surface and the box has S3021 written on it.

Still pondering on what I will do exactly but no rush.

Building a vintage Suzy Que at the moment.

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot

Something about the Algebra fuselage (especially the front end) design/shape that is a classic...Looked like a thoroughbred straight  from the get-go back in the late 70's if memory serves. Especially the straight winged variant with ailerons and airbrakes.  

It would be tempting to kit one out with ailerons and flaps instead of pop-up air brakes...  

You certainly got an amazing bargain/and a kit with a lot of potential  mhodgson! Well done and happy building and flying :)

Nice vid.

The kit has been re-issued with a cnc cut built up wing by the guy whi sells Pat Teakle designs.

Marc RC pilot
29 minutes ago, mhodgson said:

Nice vid.

The kit has been re-issued with a cnc cut built up wing by the guy whi sells Pat Teakle designs.

Great stuff! Thx

Looks like he is going to make foam wings variant soon as well, with crow brakes.

https://patteaklegliders.co.uk/shop/algebra/

I imagine the cost would increase a fair bit thought. I wonder how solid/rigid is the open rib/film structure? Certainly lighter.

Marc RC pilot

Hey Pete. Interesting...

Also of interest, what are those two cracking looking v-tails  you got in your profile pic?

Marc RC pilot

I think that is one of the nicest looking sailplane/design I've ever seen Pete! Love the elliptical part of the wings leading edge and the subtle line going in on the trailing edge near wing tip...Like a cross between an albatross and a spitfire :). Fuselage looks clean & strong like a javelin.  

I'm sure one could do a little modification on the Algebra wings and tail to make her feel euphoric :)

Do they still make this kit? How do V-tails pan out (never used one before)?

Such beautiful wings.....

Marc RC pilot

Hi Pete

Thanks for the head's up.

I have a love/hate relationship with V-tails...I see the sense but dislike the aesthetics.  Most of my flying will be off the flat anyways and makes sense what you say about having more rudder authority on launch.

When I  look at these incredible modern big-buck carbon kevlar glass ships that seem to be engineered to the micron in accuracy, I fully appreciate the costs... These are works of high engineering art (IMHO)… But yes the reality for someone on  low income is to go down the build it yourself/members market route, which is a good thing also.  

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

Marc,

don't underestimate what a good home built model can provide in terms of performance and the "feel-good factor" - Colin P & Kev B proglide shows what can be achieved without going the moulded route, and the Hollein Insite seems to have decent performance for the money if you don't want to "roll your own". The most important bit of any plane, is the enjoyment you get from it regardless of cost/complexity, and if you out flying it and enjoying it then it is doing what it needs to do.

Also anyone else remember the Dave Jones modded Algebra 4M he wrote up in QFI, now that was a nice looking machine......

Brian Austin seems to do quite well with his home build.

I remember Dave Jones and the 4m Algebra.  I also rememmber the 'comments' because he changed so much from the kit.

That said it towed and flew well.

Marc RC pilot
4 hours ago, timboiow said:

Marc,

don't underestimate what a good home built model can provide in terms of performance and the "feel-good factor" - Colin P & Kev B proglide shows what can be achieved without going the moulded route, and the Hollein Insite seems to have decent performance for the money if you don't want to "roll your own". The most important bit of any plane, is the enjoyment you get from it regardless of cost/complexity, and if you out flying it and enjoying it then it is doing what it needs to do.

Also anyone else remember the Dave Jones modded Algebra 4M he wrote up in QFI, now that was a nice looking machine......

Agreed tim 100%, thx.

Thread I found on Algebra 4m: 

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?490656-A-Blast-from-the-Past!-4m-Algebra

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for the insider news Pete.  The Algebra seems to have gone through a fair bit of change/mods in one form or another. 

I am warming towards the built up wing versions as fare-future building projects. Save money/enjoyment/satisfaction etc. 

So many amazing designs out there, new and old alike. 

cache_600_600_0_100_80_16777215_wing-small.jpg

Marc RC pilot

Hi Pete

Good to know about those figures being related to wing area. God you are a treasure-trove of RC soaring info! Thx

I am going to build a sneaky work bench of sorts in my bedroom to one day prove you wrong sir! ( in the nicest of ways):).   

Thanks for the heads up on BMFA site.

One has got to love the old Algebra glass fuselage that's for sure. 

Cheers!