EMP Algebra 2.5m

mhodgson

John Minchell

Yes Pete - have a part built EMP Algebra 800 in the loft which I tripped over when trying to find somethin to fly in Martyn Kinder's 2M bungee launch RES woodie class postal (email) monthly comp.  Might have to shorten the wingspan a little.

John M

The chap who  did the wing as you see it now we were in touch with each other a while back when he designed the wing.  Not the guy who sells it.  We both had spare new fuselages and I was wondering what to do with mine. Brain cells bit rusty as I can't remember the gents name, apologies. He's normally on the scale glider forums. He kept the wing  section to the original foam winged version, 7037. If you go to the scale page you can find the original build under "non scale" he did it 18 months or longer ago if memory serves

• 2 weeks later...

A little anecdote. I used to help Dick when he had a stand at the annual Sandown show and the main sellers were the Algebra 2.5 and 3m. People would often come to the stand and ask 'what is the duration performance difference between the rolled ply fuselage and the glass version?'

Dick would think carefully and reply  'about 3 seconds' then add 'but I don't know which way!'

Anyone out there know what happened to Daves gliders after him untimely passing , be interesting to see if the old 4M is still around somewhere ?

John Minchell

Pete

I won't have time to finish build the Algebra 800, but anticipate finishing your designed ISA 100 and a Multi Phase as well as a couple of others.  Might even bring the Stu Blanchard Calypso's if there is a good blow.  Need to get a B&B organised too.

John M

Can  anyone help me identify these 2 fuselages found lurking in the loft.  I think the pink one is an  Algebra, but not sure which version.IMG_3175.JPG.d53befcc097e0984c4939950f36d022d.JPGIMG_3176.JPG.09459cfb7cfcb17436326695619d8b04.JPG

The pink one is an EMP Algebra.

The other looks like an early Czech made  fuselage that was being sold at Interglide back in the 90's when they first visited UK (in Oxford) to help fund there trip. I had one.

The pink one is an EMP Algebra.

The other looks like an early Czech made  fuselage that was being sold at Interglide back in the 90's when they first visited UK (in Oxford) to help fund there trip. I had one.

• 1 year later...
Marc RC pilot
On 25/05/2019 at 19:17, mhodgson said:

Decided to visit the Free Flights Nationals and it has been quite enlightening particularly watching the glider flyers and their ciecke towing.

Not much in terms of buying and selling but I did manage to get, of all things) a complete kit for an Algebra 2.5m, glass fus, for a staggering  £25!!!

At moment plan will be to build it as an aileron/flap calm weather slope model and to keep generally to the plan/kit (other than glassing the wings), unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Did you get to build the wings with ailerons mhodgson? 

The reason I ask is that I am now the owner of a 2.5m ruder elevator Sports Algebra that has foam veneer polyhedral wings (see diagram below) and I would like to either re-work the existing wings to accommodate ailerons and a single dihedral wing platform (which might incur extra weight patching things up) or build a new set  from either plan (lighter/cheaper) or from foam veneer for some more aggressive sports flying off flat fields and possibly slopes in the future.

Any help or advice is appreciated.  

Cheers

Marc

img049.thumb.jpg.1d33f53448b1a4415c2434a15f1ef40c.jpg 

Honestly not got around to it yet due to various things, though it is at the top of the glider build list now.

If I was you I would not modify the existing wings as they are already built. Keep them as is. The design flies well as is.

Instead build another set, built up or foam. You can add a more suitable section for 'agressive' flying. I would recomend the RG15, MH32, HQ1.5/9 or SD6060 as options. Flaps not really needed as you can use up aileron or seperate spoilers for approach cpontrol but add them if you want.

Not sure if the glass fu is still available but Dick Edmonds did design a plywood fuselage that approximates it quite well (look for algebra800 or 1000 plans) if you want to have another fus - one for calmish and one for agressive flying.

Hope that helps.

Martin Hodgson

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot

Big help and makes sense, thank you Martin.  I will use my existing fuselage for both wing sets when I eventually sort it. 

Good luck with your build and maiden. I am looking forwards to seeing your Algebra complete (I've always had a long love affair/fond memories with them...).  :)

My Algebra fuz and wings.

M1802711314_20201125_0840041.thumb.jpg.0f67e3436874eeb9d6511bc17462bba8.jpg

20200213_103523.thumb.jpg.5c877cb8cb1f3e044c3b6b34f5abef89.jpg

Marc RC pilot

Cheers Pete. I agree with your thinking regarding keep it to original plan/design. Thank you for spare fuz offer m8 but the one I got (your old one actually) is more than enough for my needs. 

Many thanks