6 channel Receiver upgrade advice please

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Will need to upgrade my receiver to cater for flaps/airbrakes, ailerons, elevator, rudder and battery (possibly electric motor as well).

I'm not to keen on the carboard covered receivers like I have at the moment. Find them flimsy/ easy to catch onto things and do not have faith in the open style antenna connections/circuit board etc. 

Any recommendation? 

Thanks

Marc 

Taranis X9D Plus transmiter, Frsky X4R receiver, 2x 4.8g DMG Servos, Rx Battery 4.8V NiMH 300mAh.

I have been using V8FR-11 receivers and have lots of them. After having the first ever issue recently, I will be moving from a futaba transmitter to the taranis so that I have telemetry and better understanding of the causes of radio issues if they occur. I will need new rx's and plan to get the Rx6R but if that isn't robust enough you could get the 8 channel version in the plastic case if you need telemetry.

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for info Kyri.

If I may, what is the difference between Universal and LBT receivers? Which one should I go for? 

Cheers

Marc

I don't know the answer, but advice from a friend who is very familiar with frsky was to get the lbt, I haven't had a chance to discuss the reasons why yet. A quick search found this but I haven't dissected it yet to find the answer (assuming its even within this thread). If I find out more I will let you know as I haven't ordered mine yet. 

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=137246

7 hours ago, Slap said:

Will need to upgrade my receiver to cater for flaps/airbrakes, ailerons, elevator, rudder and battery (possibly electric motor as well).

I'm not to keen on the carboard covered receivers like I have at the moment. Find them flimsy/ easy to catch onto things and do not have faith in the open style antenna connections/circuit board etc. 

Any recommendation? 

Thanks

Marc 

Taranis X9D Plus transmiter, Frsky X4R receiver, 2x 4.8g DMG Servos, Rx Battery 4.8V NiMH 300mAh.

IMO it's worth getting the more recent X or RX receivers as FrSky have committed to supporting these for the forthcoming Access protocol.  I've standardised on  RX6Rs for my F3F models and really like these for their tiny size and good range, but note they require a Y-lead for the battery connection if using all six channels. If you know somebody with a 3D printer then you could ask them to print my hard case on Thingiverse.

For 7-channel electric I use the X8R. The more recent G-RX8 would be more suitable if space is limited (and it has an integral vario sensor).

Mike

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot
On 27/05/2019 at 21:05, satinet said:

Lbt means listen before transmit.

Thank you satinet. 

23 hours ago, rc-soar said:

IMO it's worth getting the more recent X or RX receivers as FrSky have committed to supporting these for the forthcoming Access protocol.  I've standardised on  RX6Rs for my F3F models and really like these for their tiny size and good range, but note they require a Y-lead for the battery connection if using all six channels. If you know somebody with a 3D printer then you could ask them to print my hard case on Thingiverse.

For 7-channel electric I use the X8R. The more recent G-RX8 would be more suitable if space is limited (and it has an integral vario sensor).

Mike

Thanks for that advice Mike! Built in vario (alt/vert speed) sound really interesting; but to be honest, I feel (stupidly/old school perhaps) that I would be cheating myself if I did not rely solely on visual cues... But also I think it must be quite an experience/augmented reality-ish/confirming & learning (matching your perceived visual queues with that of reality/vario's one's) whilst hearing the beeping sounds increasing in tone and speed as you hit the mother lode/lift,,:)

Had a quick obsessive search and there is the G-RX6 which also has built in vario etc.

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-g-rx6-receiver

I still can't get over how much things have moved on and miniaturised in the digital world of TX/RX technology when compared to analogue days...Amazing 

Cheers

Marc  

Mark Evans

The correct answer would be you need EU LBT. 

But, either one works well, doesn't do anything to power output, just the way it transmits, just make sure your tx fw matches that of the rx. Pretty easy with Frsky though, just load the tx rf fw and the fw for the rx onto the sd card and flash both from the radio. 

I just got one (EU LBT) from electricwingman, next day delivery and it binds with my Taranis in D16 mode.

My entry into telemetry. This rx is tiny!

For the record, LBT is the only ‘legal’ option here in the UK for newly purchased equipment despite the number of posts and apparent frequent ignoring of the laws of the land! If we’re not careful, we will have another ‘clamp-down’ on our hobby if we don’t comply.

Marc RC pilot
7 hours ago, Kyri said:

I just got one (EU LBT) from electricwingman, next day delivery and it binds with my Taranis in D16 mode.

My entry into telemetry. This rx is tiny!

That sounds great Kyri!  Thx 👍

I bit the bullet and placed order for one also, really looking forwards to it.

6 hours ago, CTR said:

For the record, LBT is the only ‘legal’ option here in the UK for newly purchased equipment despite the number of posts and apparent frequent ignoring of the laws of the land! If we’re not careful, we will have another ‘clamp-down’ on our hobby if we don’t comply.

That is good to know! Thank you for the head's up CTR

• Like 1

Mark Evans

Doesn't he mean exactly what he wrote? that in the UK all radio gear should be LBT in the way it transmits? 

That's the way I thought I was anyway.

Marc RC pilot

Christ I've never seen anything so minturized in RC soaring!..Quite amazing realy with the vario and all. It's much smaller than my current X4R rx.

Need smaller spindly fingers though...

Apart from no hard case that I was initialy after, so far this little "thing" seems rock solid with it being recognized by TX straight away and with all working telemetry. I like that they thought of putting the battery connectors underneath rx as no:6 channel and facing the oposite way to servo connectors/antennae.

I can see why you went for this one Mark (weight/size obssesion/issues etc :D)

Thx for advice, well happy so far. 

PS  antenna wires are also of a better quality/thicker and seem very secure.

20190531_172311.jpg

I'd recommend you still wrap in tape or heat shrink to prevent shorts on the exposed components. (That includes unused pins)

Marc RC pilot
11 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

I'd recommend you still wrap in tape or heat shrink to prevent shorts on the exposed components. (That includes unused pins)

Thanks for that tip cRC, will do.

On 30/05/2019 at 11:06, Mark Evans said:

Doesn't he mean exactly what he wrote? that in the UK all radio gear should be LBT in the way it transmits? 

That's the way I thought I was anyway.

No exactly. Stuff bought before the law started is still ok to use. I might be wrong but you could still sell it if it was imported or made before this date. 

• Like 1