Servo lead soldering.

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Before I go out and buy a slodering iron, can someone please give me some advice on best way to re-solder wire/any issues that I should be aware of. I have done some electronic soldering (about 30 years ago...).

Thank you

Marc 

20190530_110503.jpg

If no one else has posted any detailed instructions before Tuesday, you can expect some from me. The most difficult thing for me is remembering to put the heatshrink on before making the joints. 

By the way, I always use a soldering gun very similar to this one: 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weller+soldering+gun&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=WUbx_LZoilSVhM:

Marc RC pilot

Thanks and good point to remember about the heat shrink tube for sure.

I got this one: https://www.toolstation.com/draper-soldering-station/p62910

and some solder:  https://www.toolstation.com/professional-use-solder/p21937

*violin sounds *I am fairly restricted dosh-wise to get anything more expensive I'm afraid and it will only be used now and again for RC...What I bought do the trick?

I forgot a heat mat, I remember they came in really handy. It's only up the road so can get one if needed.

Maybe it's simple/more secure/better reception to cut the wires back and fit a new socket?  

Jerry Lunt

That soldering iron will do the job fine.

It helps to have one of those "helping hands" thingies : 2 small crocodile clips on a mount so you can hold the 2 wires together.

I strip about 1/4" insulation off each wire and just push them together (after slipping heat shrink onto the longer available one),  the strands splay out so I roll 'em between fingers till no strands stick out then apply heat and solder - quickly to avoid heat into the shrinkable bit  :thumbsup:

If anything is sticking out too far now/sharp pointy bits, file 'em off, slip tube over and shrink.  Bob's yer uncle.

The red wire looks like it has fractured e.g. due to bending or vibration.  I suggest you look carefully at the other wire joints there too.  🙂

‘Tin’ the wires first. This means apply solder to each of the wires before trying to solder them together.

Alternatively  twist the two wires strands together to form a mechanical connection, then solder the joint.

Tip: don’t carry the solder to the joint with the soldering iron. Instead, heat the wire with the iron and apply the solder to the junction of the wire and soldering iron. The reasoning for this is so the resin in the solder can do its job of cleaning the copper rather than evaporating by the heat of the iron before it gets to the copper wire.

Clothes pegs fixed to a board can work well for holding the wires while soldering.

If possible, I would always choose crimped joints over soldered ones.  Soldering puts a stiffer section in the wire and this can lead to fractures if the wiring gets flexed a lot.

Marc RC pilot

Thank you for all the great advice and tips  gentlemen! I will have a crack at it later on today.

👍

Marc RC pilot

After checking existing connection I found a weak link which just snapped away (black wire) at the socket junction....thx for heads up chaps.

At this point I am wondering whether it might be better to replace the socket?

20190531_082749.jpg

Marc RC pilot

Found a  spare socket with wires. Not much wire left from servo but will give it a go as soon as I get some heat shrink tubbing.

20190531_085012.jpg

Marc RC pilot

Job done, not that well but will be better next time. At least the servo works now.  Need to get smaller heat shrink tube.

Thanks for all the help and advice gentlemen.

Marc