pete beadle

Meeting with Baroness Vere of Norbiton on 4th June 2019

wookman

Most aeromodelling takes place in compact rural areas. It has a good safety record. But with the commoditization of the lower airspace we will become collateral damage. We could coexist if legislators had the imagination. How difficult would it be to programme these clever drones to avoid known aeromodelling areas? They are few and far between after all. It is just easier to use heavy handed legislation to get rid of us. The registration scheme and the competency to operate are just there to muddy the waters.

Or maybe I am just feeling cynical tonight!

Mikeb52

If it’s the control of the lower airspace, that governments seek, will it mean that paragliders will be subject to the same restrictions? 

wookman

Ultimately perhaps all recreational flying will be swept away for the commercial good.

Or maybe I am still feeling cynical this morning.

Marc Sinclair

A "Baroness".... Find that title hard to stomach, apologies.

pete beadle

Don't worry Marc, I understand she's only a Baroness 'til she shuffles off this mortal coil, odd that she took her name after a little hamlet near Kingston-upon-Thames though, BTW I also understand  she was awarded this grand title from a grateful party who expected her to toe the line in the Lords, something she's proving she WILL do by doing just that, in this case:yes: Payment for services rendered? - how very British can you get?:thumbsup:

Hi Wookman, I'll bet there's quite a few model flyers waking up, both yesterday and this morning,who are with you in feeling just as cynical .....with good reason unfortunately.......:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Marc Sinclair

pete beadle

Hi all

Interestingly, or it is to me(!), if you use Google search to find background information on Baroness Vere today, you'll find that the fifth item on page one is a link to THIS subject on the BARCS forum!!!!! So, it might be in everyone's interest to understand that, whatever you post here will be online on Google Search within minutes of publication  here on our very own members forum SO - it would quite probably make sense to be quite careful what you say here lads!:yes::(

BTW Charlotte Sarah Emily Vere was elevated to the peerage on "Call me Dave'(Cameron's)" leaving honours list in 2016 ......interesting no?:)

So, be very careful what you post here if you don't want it to feature on Google Search this afternoon.....you have been warned!

Regards

A Whistleblower

Marc Sinclair

She is very pretty and has a lovely smile Pete :)

image.png.5effbd4d073befe9bfc8759144af8fbf.png

wookman

So having read some of the Nesta report and skimmed through more of it, long and mostly tedious, the thrust of it seems to be about drone operation in cities. It also speaks of drones programmed with no fly zones.

So with aeromodelling mostly being perpetrated in remote, rural and extremely localised areas why can we not be left alone to continue more or less as we do currently. Commercial drone operators could easily be made aware of the very limited amount of airspace occupied be aeromodelling and be programmed to avoid it.

It would take a limited amount of imagination to make this work but allas this seems to be lacking amongst our legislators. Are we disappointed? Yes, as ever. Are we surprised? Not hugely.

• Like 1

Sloper

pete beadle

Hi Guys

Firstly, thanks to Sloper for getting us all informed by this video.....

Whatever you do DON'T watch this VID before you go to sleep tonight.....if you do, you'll have nightmares!!!!! Absolutely EVERYTHING being said confirms WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE AGREED THAT MODEL AIRCRAFT SHOULD BE REGARDED AS DRONES!

Skip to 24 minutes in to get worried about model aircraft, skip to 32 minutes in to understand ALL our worst fears are being realised here!!!!

D*MN the BMFA for agreeing this!!!!!!!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

• Like 1

EssexBOF

I e mailed my old mentor, Dave Platt in USA where he has lived since the late 60's, on what has been going on over their, where it has been in force for a year now to which his response:=

Brian,

I never complied and never will.  The answer is just to say no.  I’m still waiting for the first arrest.

Dave

pete beadle

Hi Brian

I just wish the BMFA had said this not just your mate in the AMA........I watched the video again this morning and honestly haven't felt this bad in many a long year:(

I wonder whether Manny Williamson had thought, even for ten seconds, what his chasing increased BMFA membership by welcoming Drone flyers, would end up doing? Well, it's done it now, and we, the current membership of BMFA are going to have to suffer the consequences........and yes, I DO mean suffer.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

How come there isn't a scheme that covers camera and video ,manufacturers and users., surely they take pictures and back them up and spread them on the net.

All we need if for any spies to be registered on a "I'm a Spy" scheme.

Redbird

Quite simply there should be an exemption for unpowered craft.  Does anybody know a place where we could push for this before it is too late?

wookman

Good idea Redbird but I don't think it will happen because the long term agenda is to clear the lower airspace. They will dress it up as an inability to create such an exemption because it it too difficult in some way. 

It wouldn't be hard to exempt model flying altogether.

On 06/06/2019 at 23:15, wookman said:

Most aeromodelling takes place in compact rural areas. It has a good safety record. But with the commoditization of the lower airspace we will become collateral damage. We could coexist if legislators had the imagination. How difficult would it be to programme these clever drones to avoid known aeromodelling areas? They are few and far between after all. It is just easier to use heavy handed legislation to get rid of us. The registration scheme and the competency to operate are just there to muddy the waters.

There are 820 odd clubs in the UK and each one say uses 1 square mile of land mostly in rural areas. There are 93,600 square miles in the UK. 

The CAA bloke further rubbished his 170,000 registrations by saying that a model club chairman could register as an operator and club members could just be remote pilots. Under this scenario registrations would plummet  from 35,000 people to about 820. That is really going to play havoc with his maths! This would mirror the commercial set up with CEOs registering as operators and employees doing the flying.

Obviously nobody wants to take responsibility for everybody elses flying in their club but it does serve to illustrate how (deliberately?) poorly thought out the whole thing has been.

Sloper
4 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

I e mailed my old mentor, Dave Platt in USA where he has lived since the late 60's, on what has been going on over their, where it has been in force for a year now to which his response:=

Brian,

I never complied and never will.  The answer is just to say no.  I’m still waiting for the first arrest.

Dave

Only problem with this plan is if the insurance require you to be registered to be covered and im pretty sure that any BMFA competitions there on after will require registered pilots only to compete

pete beadle

Hi Sloper

How are you guys in the model trade reacting to this? What with Brexit apparently only weeks away from collapse, you must be feeling that the model glider flying business isn't looking like a good long term bet? I hate to say it but some of you guys must be wondering what you did wrong in a previous life to have this "perfect storm" of bad news getting worse and worse every day.........

Seriously, are ANY of you still confident in the future of the hobby/sport? What, if anything, are you doing about these new regulations.....anything? Surely you can't be looking forward to the next few years? or do you know something that all of us don't perhaps?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

cirrusRC

powered vs non powered :   a 3 meter mouldie launched off a bungee is  more dangerous than a little powered foam-e.

multi-rotors (or as I call them drones) are able to take off and land vertically which means they are much easier to fly in non rural locations and become more of a nuisance.   They fly autonomously and are also typically able to fly FPV out of the box compared to a traditional model aircraft - which again makes them more dangerous.

I see in Canada - that flying of "drones" has been severely impacted by new legislation,  but model flyers are given an exemption.

The technology that gifted us this hobby for so many years as evolved to the point where it's biting us in the ass.   Those making the decisions don't appear to understand the technology or the categories of flight or history.      Here's hoping for another step change in technology or some sane legislation that will help us model flyers.............. 😫

Redbird
1 hour ago, cirrusRC said:

powered vs non powered :   a 3 meter mouldie launched off a bungee is  more dangerous than a little powered foam-e.

Yet no doubt many more human injuries from little powered foamies.

The point is whether a model endangers an aircraft carrying people and model gliders are most unlikely to. 

• Like 1