pete beadle

Meeting with Baroness Vere of Norbiton on 4th June 2019

Steve J
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

It's when the MP's are called on to vote for or against the Drone Bill that they have the greatest power........if enough of them vote against the bill it will fail and the job will be done.......

I thought that the Drone Bill was mainly the extra police powers and related stuff that was in the July '18 DfT consultation, things that they can't do though ANO amendments.

Steve

Sloper

Well some fresh news and maybe some hope,  With the cabinet shake  up the  new Secretary of State Grant Shapps, it is reported he supports  Model Flying!

Theres also rumour the the baroness is on her way out!!! what a shame 😵 hope its true

Steve J

Grant Shapps MP was chair of the All Party Parliament Group on General Aviation. He wrote to the DfT regarding impact of the FRZs on model flying and the APPG-GA has been critical of the CAA. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

Steve

• Like 2

Dave Elam

I've just tweeted my congratulations to Grant Shapp and included a message regarding the planned restrictions. It might be a good idea for others to do the same.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Dave

Don't you think he might be just the teeeniest bit busy at the moment?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

EssexBOF

Might be a bit more clued up than BdV. He has been over Stow Maries aerodrome where I volunteer as a tour guide, having been associated with it for over 50 years, as the old Anglia MFC flying site, sadly no longer the case . LMA do their on 14-15th September.

Marc Sinclair
7 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

I've just tweeted my congratulations to Grant Shapp and included a message regarding the planned restrictions. It might be a good idea for others to do the same.

It never harms to give a person a pat on the back.  I am sure the MP in question will appreciate it.    :) 

Bravo Dave  

Steve J
On 25/07/2019 at 14:56, EssexBOF said:

Might be a bit more clued up than BdV. 

Grant Shapps MP is replacing Chris Grayling MP. Sadly it appears that Baroness Vere is staying as Aviation Minister.

Steve

• Sad 3

EssexBOF

This piece from Bruce Simpson, sums it up well.

pete beadle

Hi Brian

I'm really glad he admitted to having got all of this off his chest in his video..........however.........despite the unassailable logic, despite the colourful language, despite the plea for proportional representation, we all know this is going to make NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL to his question that needs answering soon.....Why is the Department of Transport leading the charge for further regulation and not the CAA? 

A while ago you mentioned the fact that a mate of yours in the AMA had contacted you, and had suggested that, in the USA, all these potential changes should just be ignored, and that he personally had ignored the subject for ten years so far, and had no action whatsoever had been taken against him:yes:

As I said at least a year ago, I'm starting to think that it's time for a little public disobedience in the UK.......before we end up going down the same road as BREXIT:frantics:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi Fletch

Thanks for identifying and posting this for us all to see here

Personally, I simply cannot see that there is any alternative to "wait and see" regarding all this

At least the BMFA have now confirmed their position as regards BMFA insurance.......as soon as it rains they're going to take our umbrellas away.....IMO it's getting to the point where there are going to be some VERY serious objections to paying next year's BMFA membership fees out there......time to research alternatives to the BMFA as regards 3rd party insurance too ......we've done it before, looks like we're going to have to do it again..... 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Steve J
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

At least the BMFA have now confirmed their position as regards BMFA insurance.......as soon as it rains they're going to take our umbrellas away.....IMO it's getting to the point where there are going to be some VERY serious objections to paying next year's BMFA membership fees out there......time to research alternatives to the BMFA as regards 3rd party insurance too ......

It is not reasonable to blame the BMFA for the fact that their insurers will only cover lawful activities.

To me, the BMFA's main failing in this matter is that they haven't managed their members' expectations. Registration has been a certainty for the best part of three years.

Steve

pete beadle
1 hour ago, Steve J said:

It is not reasonable to blame the BMFA for the fact that their insurers will only cover lawful activities.

For once I agree with you, trouble is the majority of flyers I have met over the years only joined the BMFA for the insurance.....I predict this fact is going to be the final nail in the BMFA's coffin....... at least I hope so

BTW I also disagree with your statement regarding "lawful activities".....once the new regulations are applied, not having passed the drone test will be adequate reason for the rest of us to receive an on-the -spot fine.........no law-breaking involved there!:no: 

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

Dave Elam
16 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

For once I agree with you, trouble is the majority of flyers I have met over the years only joined the BMFA for the insurance.....I predict this fact is going to be the final nail in the BMFA's coffin....... at least I hope so

BTW I also disagree with your statement regarding "lawful activities".....once the new regulations are applied, not having passed the drone test will be adequate reason for the rest of us to receive an on-the -spot fine.........no law-breaking involved there!:no: 

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

I really can't understand why anyone involved in our hobby would want this to happen. And who do you think is going to appear to take over its role?

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

Redbird

Gliders are likely to make their way down if control is lost. Powered craft could conceivably wander anywhere until fuel is exhausted. There should be a distinction made, in our favour, recognising that gliders pose less risk and so not subject to the same regulations as powered craft. 

pete beadle
36 minutes ago, Dave Elam said:

I really can't understand why anyone involved in our hobby would want this to happen. And who do you think is going to appear to take over its role?

Be careful what you wish for.

Hi Dave

With any luck NO-ONE will step forward to fill the BMFA's role and we flyers will be able to represent ourselves - let's see how the politicians deal with thousands of individuals and no spokesman..........and especially no organisation representing the cause of our problems - the drone flyers themselves:frantics:now that I've GOT to see!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1792

• Sad 1

Fletch
23 hours ago, Redbird said:

Gliders are likely to make their way down if control is lost. Powered craft could conceivably wander anywhere until fuel is exhausted. There should be a distinction made, in our favour, recognising that gliders pose less risk and so not subject to the same regulations as powered craft. 

CL planes are even less likely to be a problem. But, they're included in DRES and any over 250gm have to be flown by a registered 'operator' and 'flyer'. Make sense of that if you can.

• Confused 1

wookman
On 23/08/2019 at 21:06, pete beadle said:

With any luck NO-ONE will step forward to fill the BMFA's role and we flyers will be able to represent ourselves - let's see how the politicians deal with thousands of individuals and no spokesman..........

Thousands of individuals will just be ignored in the usual way.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

CL planes are even less likely to be a problem. But, they're included in DRES and any over 250gm have to be flown by a registered 'operator' and 'flyer'. Make sense of that if you can.

Regulations that make sense, heaven forfend. 

Quaddra

250gm….. ummm. Even that’s a joke. Some of the most dangerous drones to threaten human life are being developed by the likes of DARPA, weighing a lot less than 250gms. If DARPA can build them today the sort of people who really want to cause harm by bringing a passenger aircraft down or similar, will be able to build them tomorrow.

This is just one example why the system envisaged by those “clever” people making big decisions in parliament is a farce.

Another is, if my information is correct, Chinese manufacturers are actively working on <250gm drone technology with production lines preparing for the increased global demand fuelled by policy makers. New <250rm drones will be more stable and capable of almost everything their larger counterparts can do today. FPV technology for racers and for YouTubers lightweight high def cameras and improved lightweight recording circuit boards. No problem really, just look at our phones.  Stability is the largest hurdle but not impossible, flies seem to manage pretty well. We will get there.

No one has mentioned model rc hovercraft. I guess even pilots of >250gm hovercraft,  will require registration?

Heres another example, If an organisation or person, intent on transporting a quantity of explosive into the path of a passenger jet, wished to, he could do so quite easily without a drone.  Simply dropping into a paraglider/powerglider shop, purchasing equipment, attaching a fan to himself a paragliding wing, must not forget the obligatory vest these terrorist types prefer to wear and he is all set to go. No required licence to purchase any of the aforementioned, well maybe the vest. Some may say it takes a lot of training to be able to fly one of these devices and a caa pilot licence, but thats not really a problem according to most power gliding schools who promise to get you in the air day one and solo flights within a week. To be honest this terrorist chap isn’t really going to be concerned about landing safely. I thought, no paraglider licence, this can’t be true, surely you need some sort of identification to purchase a power or para glider setup, but as I was reliably informed whilst talking to a paraglider pilot, this is not the case. Apparently the only identification required is of the queen, we all carry pictures of the queen. This paraglider chap also pointed out that if you have plenty of those pictures you can purchase a helicopter a light aircraft or pretty much any aircraft, money will always talk. Also, to pilot a power / para glider you don’t even need a para/power glider pilot licence.

How about this:

An exemption to the Air Navigation Order (ANO) 2016 has been issued to allow foot-launched self-propelled paragliders (more commonly known as paramotors) or self-propelled hang-gliders to be fitted with devices to support weight during take-off (e.g. wheels), with no change to the applicable regulatory requirements. Previously such aircraft could only be ‘foot-launched’, since the addition of wheels to a paramotor chassis would have seen the aircraft classified as a microlight aeroplane, therefore needing a pilot’s licence to fly.

So there will be people flying in aircraft who require less paperwork to fly than us chaps and lasses flying a model biplane, model glider, model helicopter and a multicopter drone at our local field.

This is where the baroness will step in and tell us that all this proposed legislation has nothing to do with terrorism, more to do with personal privacy,  as she recently mentioned. I believe she has concerns while relaxing on her patio in the sunshine. <250gm drones, paraglider, power gliders and motor gliders  may very well foil her policy. I hope they do.

Think we should rename the baroness. How does Red Barron sound? That person used to like spoiling the day for British aviation enthusiasts.

Except at that time we were allowed to shoot back.

Rant over.