taggarc

Looking for my 1st Mouldie - have or suggest anything ?

taggarc

Hi there - been doing a bit of slope soaring with a flying and wing / half pipe and now want to progress to the next stage - hence looking for a suitable mouldie.   If you have  any suggestions please let me know below.  Alternatively if you have anything in your cupboard / hangar that has been gathering dust or needs a new home please feel free to Pm me. Thanks   Taggarc

wookman

See if you can get your hands on an old F3f aeroplane. Doesn't matter how ancient as long as it is tidy. It will be step change in performance from what you are used to.

pete beadle

Hi taggarc

In order to respond to your request we need to know a lot more......will you be flying on the flat or the slope? How much do you want to spend? Can you suggest a few models you like the look of? If we don't know this type of information it's virtually impossible  to know what to suggest

Also, I see you are in the Peak District, how far would you be prepared to travel to inspect and collect this model

Have you done any research into mouldies in general? Are there any models  you definitely don't want buy? How about giving us a list of what features this plane must have? What sort of span are you thinking of? How competent a flier are you?.....see what I mean? MORE info please........

Pete

BARCS1702

taggarc

Here is a bit more info ...

Looking for something with decent all round capabilities but also very tough, preferably 2m or 2m + category, with a 4 servo wing for slope soaring.  Prefer something already built to start with but any advice would be good.  Quite happy to have something that has had a few dings and been repaired correctly as it would make initial flying more enjoyable, as less at stake,  but would also be happy to purchase something a bit better and put it away for later – budget up to £500 depending upon condition but would go to £700 for that something a bit more special and perhaps as my second mouldie

Models I have heard good things about, although not sure of the precise merits of each, include the Typhoon, Blade , Pike, Sunbird, Luna, Wizard Compact,  Acacia, Whisper, Willow …                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
 Happy to travel for the right model as often go down to Brighton ....

Taggarc      

isoaritfirst

Not all mouldiest are made equal. 

some look  lovely, but a good paint finish doesn’t always make for a good experience. 

Strength is what you need, Sadly although good fliers many of those on your list are very easily broken.

julianb

Go for reputation and quality. Buy cheap, break twice... Can't go far wrong with an old Acacia, Wizard or Pike WR. Tough birds

• Like 1

Dave Elam

Your list has some nice gliders in it. I'd remove the Whisper though as they are rather tame compared with the others.

Marc Sinclair

image.png.483b7ff49a5ab70b2dd536ace4b6eb65.png

Now for something completely different…How about a little side portion of Chris Foss's

fun/acrobatic /racing Phase 6 to bring your flying skills to next level? Cheap, cheerful and wooden :) ?

"Those who have progressed from basic training through to intermediate aerobatics, will find no difficulty in handling a Phase 6 and will have a machine on which to achieve the ultimate advancement of their flying skills. The potential scope is considerably broadened by the availability of two distinct versions. The Sport version features a semi- symmetrical wing section specially designed for general aerobatic flying and pylon racing whilst offering excellent soaring ability in marginal lift conditions. The Professional differs in having a fully symmetrical section and is intended specifically for advanced precision aerobatics. Kit features include: Ready made veneer covered foam wing panels precision pre cut selected wood parts - self adhesive decals - full hardware pack - Superb ultra simple and robust construction - comprehensive fully illustrated instruction manual."

taggarc
17 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Not all mouldiest are made equal. 

some look  lovely, but a good paint finish doesn’t always make for a good experience. 

Strength is what you need, Sadly although good fliers many of those on your list are very easily broken.

Mike which ones are in the easy broken list ?   Thanks Conrad 

taggarc
12 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

Your list has some nice gliders in it. I'd remove the Whisper though as they are rather tame compared with the others.

Dave - would it be tough enough perhaps to be the first one to cut your teeth on before moving to one of the other more performance orientated gliders - or does it score fairly low / average in the tough stakes too ?  Thanks Conrad 

Dave Elam

A long time ago I had a little sideline business selling X Model gliders. A few Whispers passed through my hands to club members. It wasn't long before they got bored with them and moved on to higher performance machines.

If I remember correctly the Whisper was quite a tough model though, as were most of the X Model range. I had two Blade XL's for many years and they were very strongly made.

You should also put the Alex range made by NAN on your list. Not sure if they are still manufactured but there may be some used ones hanging around in garages. I've got a 1.5m and 2m from that stable and they're great gliders.

Why not try a Wanted advert on BMFA Classifieds. I've always managed to get what I wanted going down that route.

By the way, that Willow is a real bargain.

isoaritfirst

Don’t be scared of 2.5 to 3 Mtr models. They are easier to fly and a lot easier to land. 

Look for a European manufactured f3f or f3b model. Most are very strong. 

As Julian said. Wizard, ellipse, tragi, or slightly newer. Extreme, pike, fs3

Dave Elam

Blade XL here but with quite a bit of damage.

The price seems high taking into account the Willow at the same amount.

https://bmfa.org/class1/id/78123

taggarc

Have inquired about the Willow - the boom has been broken the past but professionally restored - but still think it represents good value.  Agree re the blade XL.  What would you expect to pay for a reasonable conditioned Extreme (some dings no major repairs) ?  Thanks Conrad 

pete beadle

Hi taggarc

I'v had two Extremes in the last 5 years, both bought 2nd hand, both in very nice condition, one was £425.00  t'other was £500.00 They were both superb flyers, strong and fast, and you just have to love their looks, and the way they groove everywhere they go........so £400.00 to £500.00 would be about right for me:thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Munch197

I fly an extreme. Absolutely fantastic and very forgiving machine. It's always the one I grab... I love it so much that I bought an electric version just so I can fly an extreme when the wind isn't so. To be honest if another slope one turned up I'd be very tempted (potential extreme hoarding tendancies)

Rotmilan is the later generation of the extreme. Both from rtg models, also fly fantastic without vice. 

• Like 1

wookman

Whisper is a nice aeroplane but it is only two meter and therefore performance is limited.

If you can find a Pike wr or better still the double carbon Pike wr extreme go for it.

VV model Sting is a great glider and again if you can find  a carbon one so much the better.

The Willow with a full suite of KST servos on board at 300 quid has to be good value if the boom repair has been done well.

SilentPilot

I have a Pike WR that I could be tempted to part with now I’ve got my Redshift.

It’s not perfect but does fly well. Needs a ballast set to get the best out of it though...

wookman

There you go Conrad. You will never regret buying into Samba quality. Pike wr is a great sports performance glider that you could go racing with if you wanted to. The wr bit stands for world record which it held in F3f for a bit at 32,7 seconds. Quality, speed and looks, what's not to like.