Looking for my 1st Mouldie - have or suggest anything ?

taggarc

Just thought I would do an update.  Decided to go for the Wizard that was mentioned earlier because of logistics and it the plane was in very good condition given its price.  So now a proud owner of a Wizard - just need to sort out some ballast .   Any recommendations / sources appreciated?  I have also had an Extreme offered to me around the recommended price range, which was going for a lot more initially.  So once again thanks for all your help.  When you are a beginner it is certainly difficult to navigate your way around everything but you have all helped a great deal.     Conrad  

• Like 2

Personally I'd have taken the extreme but I may be biased 🤣

Ballast wise measure the diameter and length of the tube and buy brass and nylon bar (spacers) to suit, loads on eBay and such like then get it cut down, either do it yourself or I dare say someone in the area might for a small fee. I usually like to aim for 10 slugs per tube. 

2 hours ago, taggarc said:

Just thought I would do an update.  Decided to go for the Wizard that was mentioned earlier because of logistics and it the plane was in very good condition given its price.  So now a proud owner of a Wizard - just need to sort out some ballast .   Any recommendations / sources appreciated?  I have also had an Extreme offered to me around the recommended price range, which was going for a lot more initially.  So once again thanks for all your help.  When you are a beginner it is certainly difficult to navigate your way around everything but you have all helped a great deal.     Conrad 

Sorry not Wizard - Willow - ahhhh !   RE the Extreme - taken your advice there as well.  The Willow is going to be my learning hack (cost £300 with KST135s) and I am putting away the Extreme for later (-:  Will be picking it up the next good flying day we have.  

• Like 1

Well done. That Willow will serve you well I'm sure.

Where in the Peak District are you and where do you fly?

Fantastic news Conrad, both models will do you very proud. 

I might be wrong but just double check if the extreme steel ballast doesn't also fit the willow. I have a strange hunch they do or very close. 

Welcome to the very slippery slope that is moulded gliders. Prepare to be addicted.

Matt

I think you will discover that the extreme ballast is too big to go into the willow. Pipe of the correct diameter for the ballast tube and filled with lead or brass bar.

Thanks guys.  I fly out towards Leek, but based just outside Buxton.

The bar for the Willow is 19mm radius and 35mm  in length x 10 - the last owner measured it for me.    RE Extreme not sure what it takes yet but would be good if one set does both 

On 13/06/2019 at 23:21, Munch197 said:

I have a spare set of ballast for an extreme but no spacers should you need some? 

Thanks Munch197 - that would be great if it doesn't come with any.  Will let you know when I take "delivery".  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GuyB said:

Hi

Given your location just outside Buxton, have you sloped the Cat and Fiddle?

I haven't tried it yet but have heard good reports about it ...  I am sure it is only a question of time !  Have you given it a go ?  I am a member of https://www.lmmga.co.uk/ so mostly fly their sites 

Yes. I fly there relatively regularly. Good slope, needs a W with a bit of southerly in it to fly it at it’s best. Huge soft landing area although there is a row of fence posts you have to watch. The main thing is to land on an opposite circuit to the road.