Darren_O

TJIRC Mini Q

Darren_O

Bought one from T9hobbysport and after a bit of thought I built it as slope only for now. Electric option is always open at some point in future. They come with motor mount and a pure glider nose cone.  It's a fully moulded wing, only a wee one at 32" span but it's very much perfectly formed. The moulding is quite nice, canopy needed a little sanding for a perfect fit but that's nit picking. It's very good value for the £115 asked.

I used two Emax ES08 MAII metal gear servos (watch out for fakes) in the wings, an FRSky RX4R receiver and a component shop 2500mah AA square RX battery. 

Installation was a matter of mixing up some 5 minute epoxy, popping the servos in and the same for control horns on aileron. Plug it all in and balance CoG. It took 15g in the nose with the battery forward to balance at 22mm from leading edge. I think that's a bit further forward than others, more experienced pilots may wish to push it back a bit. The wing is moulded with no reflex so you'll need to dial in 3mm of up for level flight. PLEASE do a test throw into long grass to get the glide right as mine took a bit more reflex than I thought it would need. Possibly because of the forward CG?

Test flew on the Orme in 35+ and it was an absolute joy to fly. One of those gliders that puts a grin on your face. Couldn't fault it at all. Turned nice, picked up and retained speed well, with the rates down it flew like much bigger ship.  With the rates on full it was a real handful, rolls were quicker than I could handle. I flew on medium rates, still loads of fun but manageable.

I think we'll be seeing  an awful lot of these on the slopes, great value when you think some of the foam wings/planks are closer to £200.

Question is do I get another to put my little 4400kv Scorpion motor in...

IMG_20190529_224142540.jpg

IMG_20190529_213837981.jpg

• Thanks 1

taggarc

Seen one of these on a slope near Leek being put through its paces - flew brilliantly  and was a bundle of fun

Conrad 

SilentPilot

Mouldie Alula

Moula? 

• Like 1

Darren_O

Took it up again yesterday in a steady 20mph and it was just as good, picks up speed remarkably quickly. CG now sits at 23mm.

Peter_Garsden

I have just bought one myself. It was a birthday present. Good advice about the C of G in that the blurb on the Hyperflight page talks of a range of 10mm to 20mm for the CofG. What inspired me to get one was firstly the price and secondly I have seen Julian Bailey flying one up at Leek. His flew at some speed but he is an exceptional pilot.

I have ummed and aahed about whether or not to fit a motor. Like you say it could come later, but I invested in some KST X08 servos because they can take up to 8 volts which would cope with a 2S Lipo if needed to upgrade to a motor. I did think about cheaper servos (I looked at the Bluebird servos on Hyperflight which are listed as an alternative) and have used those you mention but figured that it flies at such speed that I wondered about whether they would cope bearing in mind they are driving the ailerons.

I ummed and aahed as there is a big difference in price. 

I will let you know how I go on.

Marc RC pilot
On 10/06/2019 at 19:21, SilentPilot said:

Mouldie Alula

Moula? 

lolz SP.... =D

Windy Miller

I've just bought one of these, awaiting delivery, looking to fit electric, any more news from anyone?

Windy Miller

Thanks Red Bird :) mine has JUST turned up in the post, not even opened it yet!

Bustergrunt

Just finished mine

F1972DCE-D57D-4063-9FC1-AA66A2DF440A.jpeg

• Like 2

glidergider

Hi Guys,

Just got my mini q set it up for gliding with CofG at 15mm when I did some test launches from shoulder height over long grass it just dived straight into the ground there was no bite from the elevator/ailerons I set about the thickness of the moulding line as reflex I had added about 40 Grms to balance took all of that out tried again still same result.. So question is what set up are you guys using?? my foam Alua has about 30 mm CofG  do you think that's worth a try?? I had a 8MPH wind up the hill.... May be a more windy day??

Stephen 

barry h

Hi Stephen

Mine did exactly the same when I tried to throw it for a test glide over long grass. First throw it nosedived with hardly if no control over anything, Tried a bit more reflex. It made no difference whatsoever. Moved the C og G , again no difference whatever I did . So I made the choice to chuck it off the cliffs at St Aggys  in a fairly good blow . It flew straight off with no problems whatsoever , a couple of clicks of up elevator  (Reflex ) and away she went , and boy did she go but with no signs of any problems .  You have to concentrate a bit but it flys great. The only thing I would recommend is adding a few hi vis bits on either the top of the wing or the bottom. Not both , its small, fast and a smartish roll rate so its nice to see which way up it is. I was expecting it to be a real handful. IT ISNT . Its great to fly.   My set up is Cof G 25mm back from LE nearest to the fus as you can get. 3mm Reflex Up. About 3mm up and down elevator with about 50% expo.  As long as your on a big enough hill just chuck it , a couple of clicks trim and your away wondering what all the fuss was all about.  I flown in about 15mph to 48mph . I recon it will fly in about 10mph I just haven't had chance to find out.  Landings are a doddle as well, just don't go to far back thinking its a missile, it slows down quickly enough and you have full control all the way down. The only mod I would recommend is strengthening it up around the center former to stop the wings flexing if it breaks there.  

Any other queries just ask.

Barry

• Like 1