Stormeflyer

Interference or not?

Stormeflyer

I can personally confirm the Great Orme is 207 meters high and on the climb back up after collecting my Gulp DS, or should I say Brick DS it actually felt a lot higher 🥺

I have been fortunate to have never suffered radio interference with my trusty JR 35Mhz equipment in the past but this day was different.

A group of Amateur Radio enthusiasts were pitched up, so I waited and wondered but noticed another flyer launch without problems so thought why not?

All went well until....................the Gulp took a near perfect vertical dive until it disappeared out of view.

The optimist in me believed I would find the model and it might be alright, but as I began my descent it started to dawn on me that it might be the proverbial needle in the haystack, suffice to say I eventually found it or should I say bits of it 😢

The other flyer was on 2.4Ghz and was still not experiencing any problems and continued to fly. Later we spoke to one of the Amateur Radio group and asked how far they had made contact?

He said the Caribbean 😳 I asked if that was near Blackpool!........................I should have said I think you actually made contact and abducted my Gulp!

So does an Amateur Radio 10 meter frequency 29.5-29.7Mhz obliterate any 35Mhz signal?

Now where did I put those wire cutters!

SilentPilot

If they are using directional antennas and you flew through the beam then yes it probably would cause interference.

We only use very low power transmitters compared to communication radio. It might not take much to swamp the receiver :(

Stormeflyer
7 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

If they are using directional antennas and you flew through the beam then yes it probably would cause interference.

We only use very low power transmitters compared to communication radio. It might not take much to swamp the receiver :(

Hi Silent Pilot

I’m not too sure about any directional antennas, but they had genuinely contacted the Caribbean so they might have fried my receiver! 😬 There wasn’t a flicker from the other model on Spektrum equipment and he continued to fly throughout my trekking, saying that there wasn’t a flicker from mine either; more a plummet!

SilentPilot

Contacting far away places using HF equipment isn't uncommon. The signal bounces off the atmosphere and can go round the world!

Now predicting where the signal will go is another matter. It can be pot luck!!!

• Like 1