Mark devall

Bernard Henwood 1939- 2019

Mark devall

I'm very sad to inform you that on Sunday 9th June Bernard Henwood died .

Many of you will remember Bernard from the early 80s as he flew in the northern league with his own designed stiletto models .

I first met Bernard as a young teen Android he inspired me to compete against the best pilots in the UK; which in my eyes Bernard was one.

He will be sadly missed by not only his flying friends but by all who knew him.

His funeral will take place on the 25th June at 13.15 at hutcliffe wood crematorium Sheffield  S8 0HP.

• Thanks 1

grj

Sad news indeed Fozzie. Bernie was a real character and very innovative modeller. Only met him occasionally at BARCS AGM's and Radioglide but came across as a knowledgeable, friendly type and a man of great wit.

RIP

Marc Sinclair

RIP Bernard Henwood

S!

I seem to remember that Bernard followed George Stringwell as Editor of the Soarer. Possibly mistaken as I seem to recall Chas Gardiner also in that role - but what I do remember is the great contributions from Bernard to that newsletter detailing the developments within the Sheffield club and their innovative approach to Open class soarer design using high-tensile aluminium tube spars and very strong - and robust - wing joiner systems. Pretty certain that the series of articles also included lots of useful stuff including glass skinning and the like. I really wish that I still had those issues of the Soarer but, sadly, they have been misplaced over the years.

I also recall enjoying Bernie's company and a few pints - along with a teenaged Fozzie - and others at an Interglide in Pontefract. The conversation gave me the final push into training as a Design Technology teacher thinking that I could make a decent living building models and, incidentally but less importantly, passing on a bit of education to teenagers. 

Rest in Peace,  Bernie.

Alex

timboiow

Wasn't Bernie featured on the cover of George Stringwells Thermal Soaring book ? His stiletto models inspired a range of planes that pushed the envelope for the time., and there were many variants of the stiletto from the 100" version upto some (I think 14 ft monster that was on the cover of the book), and these often made it to the various magazine reports of the thermal scene at that time, further inspiring others to roll-their own. The annual RG event was always good for getting the various BARCS regions together and Bernie  and the other Sheffield soarers were often to be found enjoying the party atmosphere the gathering always generated.  Bernie was a nice bloke and an proper Aeromodeller and as such our hobby is the poorer for his passing. RIP Bernie

pete beadle

Hi Fozzie

Yes, Bernie Henwood was indeed one of a kind. I first met him and the Sheffield Mafia at a Radioglide (or it may have been an Interglide) in Nottingham many, many,  years ago. I was amazed at his wing construction method in the Stiletto that seemed to be based almost entirely on (Sheffield) steel tubes with steel steel connections and looked more like a part of the Forth Bridge than the basis of a thermal soarer. My word it worked though, and pulled many a towman to a stop........while barely putting any flex in the wing at all

Bernie had a great sense of humour, sort of impish, I will miss him. My condolences to his family and other friends. Rest in peace Bernie

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Shedofdread

Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Bernard was one of life's good guys and someone from whom I learned a lot.

Regards,

Richard

oipigface

I don’t know that I ever met Bernie Henwood, but I was wondering if the plane I built in 1984/5 was one of his. It was certainly called Stiletto. Here’s a couple of  pictures. First one is in a public park in Chicago, designated for model flying. The second is on a slope in LA overlooking the Hughes Aircraft Corporation runways. I’m trying to remember why the name was apparently misspelled on the wing!

9389C09B-9277-49AC-8C93-4C0FCD0C5655.thumb.jpeg.1d3a00cf79b478fb3f323245710875a3.jpeg

085CFE91-2105-4F30-8B0A-F7064CDF50AC.thumb.jpeg.a77bac2cf68734210cd67717b905bec3.jpeg

EssexBOF

Pretty sure that the model in the picture is not a Stlletto as Bernies one had a very slim fuselage. He wrote a lot in the long lamented Soarer Magzine, whilst I only met him at RG and Nats, he was always good company.

Reaching the stage where most of the soaring generation of my time have gone, but looking back I think we had the best times, before we are assaulted with all this new legislation. The last picture says it all, as you would not be allowed to fly overlooking fullsize runways now.

• Like 3

Marc Sinclair

RIP Bernie Henwood

pete beadle

Hi OPF

I remember, back in the day, there was a modified Stilleto going the rounds of mainly northern comps called an Aletto

I would imagine the Styletto however, was one of those interesting names based on style that the US flyers delighted in mis-naming to make a point!

I agree totally with BrianA when he say we've had the best of the hobby and are now facing a bleak future but I am cheered by the fact Bernie was a major contributor to the "design and make it yourself" era we oldies reveled in, and are all the better for. Unfortunately it is true that you don't know what you had 'til it's gone. But I'm fairly sure Bernie's "Stilleto Series" was featured in a big spread in the Soarer, quite possibly when he was editor, and was very highly regarded at the time, so, at least there'll be one place where Bernie's talents were seen and appreciated. RIP Bernie

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

oipigface

Thanks, Pete, though I don’t think your theory is consistent with the evidence. I spent a year in the USA and thought I would take a kit to build over the winter. So the kit was British.  If I remember rightly, it was foam wings and a lot of wood. I built it in a friend’s basement during a very cold and snowy Chicago winter, and sold it when it came time to return.

... and thanks, BOF. I remember the design was definitely called Stiletto, but I cannot for the life of me understand why the first three letters I put on the wing were STY...!  I wonder if I’ve still got a plan?