Marc Sinclair

Vendor discscounts for BARCS members suggestion

Marc Sinclair
Posted (edited)

I think it might be a good idea, a win-win situation all around. 

Members join BARCS, members get 50% discount through vendors that advertise/ peddling their wares here (ok maybe 50% is a bit much...But anything would help) :)

What do you all think? 

Regards

Marc 

Edited by Marc Sinclair
spillang

oipigface

I don’t think it would encourage sellers to use the site.

Marc Sinclair

How so opf?  

oipigface

Well, someone’s got to cover the discount. It can’t all be covered by the buyers, because if it were it wouldn’t be a discount. It seems unlikely that BARCS would agree to put its collective hand in its pocket to subsidise buyers purchases. That seems to leave the sellers, who would probably prefer to sell stuff through a cheaper medium.

• Like 1

Marc Sinclair

Good points opf. 

I was thinking along the lines of a 10% discount to BARCS and BMFA members. I think most companies could swing that, especially with the potential of increase sales/membership. A reciprocal relationship in business has got to be a good thing.

Any vendors care to chip in? (forgive the pun):) 

Austin
3 hours ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Good points opf. 

I was thinking along the lines of a 10% discount to BARCS and BMFA members. I think most companies could swing that, especially with the potential of increase sales/membership. A reciprocal relationship in business has got to be a good thing.

Any vendors care to chip in? (forgive the pun):) 

A blanket 10 percent discount reduces your profit by that much immediately. Never going to happen. The thought is, that by offering discount you increase turnover by selling more but it only works if you have something that thousands of people want. 

• Like 1

Marc Sinclair

Thanks Austin for the head's up. I get your point how the vendors would never agree to losing 10% of there profits unless there was something in it for them (increased sales/bigger numbers etc). You say they would never agree to such a thing, well if you don't ask you don't get right?  Surely asking our suppliers of goods and equipment for a members discount scheme linked to BMFA/BARCS (the pillars of our RC hobby/sport) can't be all bad for business?  

Austin, I know you are an administrator on this site.  If you don't mind me asking, are you a vendor also?   

Austin
1 hour ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Austin, I know you are an administrator on this site.  If you don't mind me asking, are you a vendor also?   

Yes I own Acemodel.co.uk

Been doing it for many years. Now days I only sell the NAN models but a few years back I did a whole load of Graupner products, MKS and other stuff.  A lot of the radio stuff has small margins after all costs are taken out and sometimes 10 percent might be all you can get out of them. Don't get me wrong I would not continue if I were not making a few quid, who would. 

2 hours ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Surely asking our suppliers of goods and equipment for a members discount scheme linked to BMFA/BARCS (the pillars of our RC hobby/sport) can't be all bad for business?  

We have talked about this before (not you personally) and it sounds nice to offer our members something for their contribution towards the popularity of the forum and keeps the BARCS membership numbers up. But what would a vendor really get out of it?

For example, you pay a tenner to BARCS and doing so gets £130 off of one of my models. What do I get apart from a sale that would likely happen anyway?

People would just join BARCS, go straight to a vendor and get a discount. They might never post anything on the forum or take place in any events, BMFA or BARCS. I can't see it working although it sounds a good idea.

• Like 2

Marc Sinclair

Hi Austin

Thanks for clarifying that you are a vendor/own Acemodel. I can understand that your profit margins are sometimes as low as 10%  and it certainly would not make sense/impossible  to offer any discounts.

I guess offering discounts to members, whether they are flash in the pan or long term, increases customer loyalty,  increases business sales and increases positive word of mouth recommendations/further sales. 

Also, as far as I am aware, it cost £10 to join here and £38 to join BMFA, that near £50 that is money well needed by the sites I would have thought.

I guess you are in a good place to see the reality of running both this site as administrator and also as a vendor selling your products here. 

It would be nice to hear from other vendors opinions.

Regards

Marc 

pete beadle

Hi Marc

I see you are asking for vendors opinions as to whether BARCS should offer discounts, but I hope you'll accept some feedback from an individual BARCS member (as you now are) rather than a vendor in this one instance

First of all can I suggest that you'll never get better value than the £10.00 you have have had to spend to become a BARCS member(?)

I am constantly asking Forum Members why they don't become BARCS members and, so far, haven't received a reply that changes my view that the £10.00 membership fee is the best value they'll ever get, still, I'll keep plugging away.....

But the point I wanted to make to you was the value of BARCS membership was not how cheap it is, and that the value was contained, not in discounts but in having  access to an enormous pool of knowledge from members young and old, that was provided by the experience of these members in all things soaring related. Whether it was knowledge of F3F racing, competitive thermal soaring or even sport flying, the ability to access this experience WILL save you time and money

Can I suggest further that, access to all this knowledge and experience will save you MUCH more than any discount you may get  and ask you to see that the value of discounts, in the short term, is nowhere near the value of access to all this knowledge, hopefully, in the long term ? yes? End of sermon:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

thermaldoctor

Speaking as a vendor it is a logical and perfectly reasonable idea to offer discounts to BARCS members but as Austin says the concept breaks down when you start to look at it realistically. A blanket percentage discount could never work due to the diversity of price points - for example a blanket 10% discount at Flightech would get you over  £200 off an Infinity F5j model with all the gear but this would seriously compromise profit making it just turning over stock and money for the sake of it. You could get away with it a bit more on lower priced items such as servos and motors but then as Austin says margins are generally quite small anyway making it a pointless exercise for the vendor. I would like to offer something to BARCS members but financially it would be damaging. There is the possibility of a special BARCS price list (Not a simple % structure) to members but the discounts on offer are likely to offer much incentive or excitement.

Most companies offering discounts to members of a club organisation do so because it guarantees much greater sales and a larger  customer database . Unfortunately BARCS can't really offer this.

Best thing to do is support your silent flight vendors and they in turn will hopefully look after you as best they can......

Best regards

Neil @ Flightech 

• Like 2

f3fman

Don't forget that 10% off the price of something is a lot more than 10% off the profit margin of the vendor.

It is partly because we aero-modellers are so tight that we have lost so many model shops  😞

• Like 1

Mikeb52

Very true, too many half price Harry’s have led in some  small way to the demise of the model shop. I have had excellent service from the traders advertising on barcs, and will use them as often as I can. 

• Like 1

Marc Sinclair
13 hours ago, thermaldoctor said:

Speaking as a vendor it is a logical and perfectly reasonable idea to offer discounts to BARCS members but as Austin says the concept breaks down when you start to look at it realistically. A blanket percentage discount could never work due to the diversity of price points - for example a blanket 10% discount at Flightech would get you over  £200 off an Infinity F5j model with all the gear but this would seriously compromise profit making it just turning over stock and money for the sake of it. You could get away with it a bit more on lower priced items such as servos and motors but then as Austin says margins are generally quite small anyway making it a pointless exercise for the vendor. I would like to offer something to BARCS members but financially it would be damaging. There is the possibility of a special BARCS price list (Not a simple % structure) to members but the discounts on offer are likely to offer much incentive or excitement. 

Most companies offering discounts to members of a club organisation do so because it guarantees much greater sales and a larger  customer database . Unfortunately BARCS can't really offer this.

Best thing to do is support your silent flight vendors and they in turn will hopefully look after you as best they can......

Best regards

Neil @ Flightech 

Thank you for most insightful post Neil. Much appreciated.

Also thank you for suggesting there might be the possibility of a "Special BARCS price list". Sounds like a good plan and gives me faith that some vendors are really human beings with feelings :) .

I do and always will support my Silent Flight vendors 100% and appreciate that you might be working on tiny mark ups on certain products.  

Seems like we got to start ramping up memberships :).

Can people who are not members here, and whom seem to contribute a lot, consider joining  as every membership helps (not only for any potential BARCS/BMFA discount scheme, but the hobby/sport in general)) :) 

Thanks to all the vendors for being upfront/highlighting the realities of this discount proposal. 

Regards

Marc 

PS Another couple of ideas for the pot: 

Offer BARCS/BMFA membership deals if you spend over a certain amount/register with vendor.

A BARCS/BMFA  "coupon day" (like in the film Jurassic Park :)).

PPS Why haven't you vendors got a BARCS icons under you names?  Perhaps BARCS could throw in a free Membership for our vendors if they need?   

pete beadle

Hi all

Well said f3fman and Mikeb52:yes:

It was absolutely obvious to anyone investigating the demise of model shops, that it was we, the fickle customers, that killed the goose that laid the golden egg

All too often, when I spoke to local model shops, I was referred to the fact that their customers were coming into their local shops to check out what they said they wanted to buy, and then going away and buying the items at cheaper prices from online dealers. This method was regularly defended by members of my local flying clubs who were obviously sales and marketing "experts" by telling the local model shop owners that it wasn't their fault, but rather the shop owners, because they refused to have an online presence. The simple fact that local model shop owners were usually one-man businesses and often simply didn't have the staff to man their online side, was simply ignored. In fact, one model shop manager, local to me, confided that he HATED model flyers buying practices, and was seriously considering moving away from stocking model aircraft, and replacing his stock with model boat and trains, simply because most model flyers  seemed to try their luck with what they said they wanted to buy. laid out all over the model shop's counter, and asking there and then "what discount were they going to get". They seemed to think this was clever purchasing!

No, all too often the phrase "He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" was left hanging in the air as yet another potential customer said "Forget it, I'll get it from HobbyKing!.......you can substitute other names for HK, but that seemed to be the most used alternative:(

Ah well, it's done now, we've made our beds now we're stuck with it........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Marc Sinclair

I get your point Pete but for people to say it's the fault of tight modellers because they want to get the best deal possible is a bit much no?  

Times have changed and business practices haver changed (for good or bad),  adapt or die or try and do something about it I guess is the only options we have left.

The past is gone, the future can be bright  (Mystic Meg said that). 

Personally I look at it this way: I go into a hobby shop for a battery and the kind store owner wants a tenner for it, I can get it delivered to my door for £8, which one am I going to choose? Am I being penny pinching? So what if I am? Do I share part of the responsibility of off-line business going bust because I choose to save some money in my hobby and buy from a cheaper medium/get a better deal? 

Of course if I where flush I would pay the extra few quid and not bat an eyelid if it meant helping the cause. But we must remember people who start business generally are in it to make money/survive/follow their passions, they unfortunately have to adapt or die....sounds cruel but lets not beat around the bush.  

Of course I miss my local model shop, a place where you could go and chat/touch feel see all the products, get personal advice and help (even a cup of tea if you was lucky)...Like being in a kids Aladdin's cave... In my experience from the past it was the insane rent hikes that landlords place which eats up profits at a high rate of knots. 

If people are so concerned about there hobby and want to contribute in some small way to it, joining BARCS and BMFA would be one way of going about it I would have thought. :)

Regards

Marc 

pete beadle

Hi Marc

You make EXACTLY the same points/arguments so many modelers I know, or have known, have made

Trouble is, they're now getting older and (possibly) wiser and now are admitting that "what they did when they were younger" was and now is, in hindsight, a short term gain that HASN'T developed into a good long term way of doing business. They are now seeing the long-term effect of their short-term decision is NOT what they wanted, and so  they are now admitting that they were wrong, and ARE missing the personal service they used to get. I thought I'd try Amazon to buy some bits and bobs I needed the other day, the delivery charge they made was exactly the price of the bits and bobs I wanted. Roll on the dubious pleasures of delivery by drone!

Model flying is a hobby, and today, most service businesses agree they live or die on the service they give, trouble is, the service(s) that modelers want now were supplied by people who decided to take the other option......sad isn't it? 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Marc Sinclair

Hi Pete

It seems like these old modellers/monsters have blood on hands....I think they should repent for there sins in some way...Or maybe they need some form of BARCS counselling? :)

Personally I don't know how our older generation of flyers could live with themselves after admitting what they did when they where young... I really don't want to hear any more details about it as it makes me emotional and very angry....;) 

Some of the best advice I have been given has been right here; especially from some of the older guilty as sin money pinching self-generation,  like your good self ;) ...  And to rub in/ digging the knife in front back and sides,  through a PC/mobile phone! Outrageous!

I am 56 years of age, so no spring chicken, and have been out of the RC game for quite some time until recently. My first impressions was how much this hobby/sport has moved on! The amount of information/videos, forums, amazing kits production methods etc,  it's incredible! I'm loving every part of it!  To give you an example,  after buying my first digital RC set I was overwhelmed with all the options/learning curves etc. I came here at BARCS, joined straight away and the good ladies and gentlemen on this forum have helped me so much in getting me on the right track. Much quicker and usually more effective  than waiting for my local model shop to open to try and  get advice from the old codger that works there (sounds cruel I know...).

Whilst I appreciate the awful demise of our models shops and the sadness it can bring, we need to get real and try and keep up with our so called "progress" instead of lamenting on better days of old , coulda shoulda type scenarios... Or perhaps vendors could put prices up and open shops subsidised by the guilty RC generation so that at least we stand a chance of having a cuppa whilst chatting about the virtues of solarfilm …  Unfortunately there is NO TEA on the internet!

I think we/I  might be going a bit off-topic (in a nice interesting way).

It is good to hear the views from our vendors regarding getting some form of deal as members, but now I fear that I might be responsible for another shop closing down.

Question: how many members do we and the BMFA have at the moment?