pete beadle

Screws delivered from China by sendfromchina by air mail

pete beadle

Hi all

About two-three weeks ago I needed a small number of  M3 X 15mm long, cross head steel and plastic screws/bolts.

I wasted two days searching for suppliers/stockists locally (NW London) visiting them, then gradually widening my search to anyone in the UK prepared to sell me a few screws to replace some wing retaining screws on my Sprite Thermal E. Anyone who knows the screws I mean, will know the ones provided in the Vladimirs kit...they are TINY! .......So, having successfully used longer replacements previously, I wanted to exchange the tiny screws supplied with longer, easier to handle, harder to lose screws 

I finally gave up, and ordered some steel and some black plastic ones from Amazon.........they arrived yesterday. Two small plastic packets plastered with China Air Mail stickers, one packet containing 10 steel M3 screws, one packet containing 50 black plastic screws, sent from China......So, remembering roughly what Amazon had charged me for the two packs I looked up the amounts billed for each, to find that 10 steel screws were charged at £3.99 delivered and 50 plastic ones were charged at £2.87 delivered!

How can the UK possibly compete with prices like this! Amazing! and, even if these prices were "teaser" prices, I WILL be going direct to Amazon/China, without wasting my time trying to source in the UK for my next small orders of fixings......screws to you!:)

Flabbergasted of Edgware

AKA  Pete

BARCS1702

mikef

Have you seen - http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/index.html?

I think I've used them...... They're in Nottingham and they take PayPal.  I have no connection with them or any similar supplier.   There are certainly others in the UK.  The prices look competitive too.

They do 'servo screws' as well...

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

You need modelfixings.co.uk

Phil.

Edit - haha - posted at the same time

mikef

We were typing at the same time!

Edit...  I've just looked more closely at the Site linked.  They have loads of hard to get bits and tools - they cater especially for RC modellers.  When you find people like this, as the saying goes, 'use them or lose them'.

• Like 1

Marc Sinclair
2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi all

About two-three weeks ago I needed a small number of  M3 X 15mm long, cross head steel and plastic screws/bolts.

I wasted two days searching for suppliers/stockists locally (NW London) visiting them, then gradually widening my search to anyone in the UK prepared to sell me a few screws to replace some wing retaining screws on my Sprite Thermal E. Anyone who knows the screws I mean, will know the ones provided in the Vladimirs kit...they are TINY! .......So, having successfully used longer replacements previously, I wanted to exchange the tiny screws supplied with longer, easier to handle, harder to lose screws 

I finally gave up, and ordered some steel and some black plastic ones from Amazon.........they arrived yesterday. Two small plastic packets plastered with China Air Mail stickers, one packet containing 10 steel M3 screws, one packet containing 50 black plastic screws, sent from China......So, remembering roughly what Amazon had charged me for the two packs I looked up the amounts billed for each, to find that 10 steel screws were charged at £3.99 delivered and 50 plastic ones were charged at £2.87 delivered!

How can the UK possibly compete with prices like this! Amazing! and, even if these prices were "teaser" prices, I WILL be going direct to Amazon/China, without wasting my time trying to source in the UK for my next small orders of fixings......screws to you!:)

Flabbergasted of Edgware

AKA  Pete

BARCS1702

You model shop murderer you ;)

pete beadle

Hi all

I looked up my order(s) on Amazon and the steel screws were fulfilled by homyl, the plastic screws were fulfilled by Ascot City - so the sale profit stayed in the UK. What I was marveling at, was the difference in the cost of postage, especially Air Mail from the PRC and the good old GPO. If they'd been fulfilled by a stockist in the UK I'm pretty sure each packet would have been a fiver, or more using GPO snail mail....... 

In the past, whenever I want things like bolts or screws I never used to go to a model shop either, because I'd have to bear the oncost from their supplier

What I usually did for many, many years,, at least up until I retired,  however. was to ring round my fastenings suppliers I used when I was an Engineering Buyer and ask them for some samples..........those were always FREE and delivered in days

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi mikef

Well found!

Unfortunately the screws I needed were countersunk, Phillips head :yes: but, thank you anyway, I appreciate your suggestion

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Feefo

I use Ebay, M3x16  countersunk Pozi is £1.99 for 20 delivered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-3mm-POZI-COUNTERSUNK-MACHINE-SCREWS-A2-STAINLESS-POZIDRIVE-CSK-BOLTS-KAYS/360527447397?hash=item53f11c4565:m:mB7kqzKDl9jr5sz-oZT3xxg&frcectupt=true or maybe you'd prefer Allen key type at £1.66 for 20 delivered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-COUNTERSUNK-BOLTS-CSK-ALLEN-SOCKET-SCREWS-7991/111284266897?hash=item19e90f2791:m:mxEjSG5Z8Ww3dkdEuJopqfQ

Searching for M3 plastic screws tended to throw up a lot of sellers from China where as the stainless are readily available from the UK, Kays is certainly one supplier that I've ordered from before and service has always been good. 

I have a little plastic box I think a Savox servo came in with a lot of these screws in, I have both Allen key type and the Pozi type so if I forget/ misplace either my screwdriver or T bar Allen wrench I have another option that I can use. I prefer the Allen fixing as I can spin the T bar wrench faster which makes it quicker to fasten the wing down.

pete beadle

Hi Feefo

Very interesting, thank you for this, unfortunately I don't use E-Bay for other reasons but it's still good to know

When I had my first Sprite Thermal E a few years ago I commented on the ease with which the original screws disappeared into the long grass, never to be seen again and leading to the essential plastic box with spares in, in the toolbox,  and that I'd received two mails from other Sprite flyers who'd also lost screws in the grass, both saying "Fit longer screws!".....it worked then, and hopefully it will work again:thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

John Minchell

Pete

Used to have two clients who purchased their fasteners from China.  Due to the QC they had to do once landed in the UK and a 50%+ rejection rate, (both poor material and size / thread spec issues etc.) they now will not buy from China and source their fasteners from Germany and Italy.  It worked out only 10-15% more expensive to buy European as they no longer have to inspect every nut and screw delivered.  I appreciate that straight forward M3 or M4 etc. might not be too critical on a model though.

John M

pete beadle

Hi John

Yes, I'm with you on that, it's the total absence of QC that's the main bugbear sourcing from the PRC.....a bit like the electrical goods imported into the UK from the USSR in the 60's and 70's. A good friend of mine bought a Rigonda radiogram (remember those? - the radiogram I mean, not the Rigonda) at the end of the 70's and he was REALLY chuffed to see they still used valves!

No, if these screws had been needed to fit anything where failure would be critical I would buy British every time!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

f3fman

I read somewhere that once the goods get to the UK they only pay 2p for them to be delivered anywhere in the uk doe to some (stupid ?) UK postal deal.

pete beadle

Hi f3fman

That sounds just like the GPO........BTW is everyone aware that while these cheap delivery arrangements are (possibly/probably) in place, we, the great/unsuspecting British public are being conned out of their hard-earned by God's Poor Orphans who are selling us 1st class stamps to put on our letters when the two-tier 1st and 2nd class deliveries hasn't actually existed for three years or more:frantics:........... by selling us 1st class stamps for a service that no longer exists the GPO ARE defrauding everyone who buys every first class stamp:yes:......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Feefo
On 19/06/2019 at 14:54, pete beadle said:

Hi Feefo

Very interesting, thank you for this, unfortunately I don't use E-Bay for other reasons but it's still good to know

When I had my first Sprite Thermal E a few years ago I commented on the ease with which the original screws disappeared into the long grass, never to be seen again and leading to the essential plastic box with spares in, in the toolbox,  and that I'd received two mails from other Sprite flyers who'd also lost screws in the grass, both saying "Fit longer screws!".....it worked then, and hopefully it will work again:thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

Fair enough Pete, other option is use Kays Fasteners website  https://www.kayfast.co.uk/

TBH I thought the deals on Ebay were fine, and happy to pay the costs, however having just looked on their website 100x m3x16 Pozi is only £1.83 but you need to pay postage and VAT, it still works out cheaper than Ebay though at £5.74 so I'll go direct next time I need to order now