Phil.Taylor

Voltij "slim"

Phil.Taylor

The Voltij flies great - really agile & real precision aerobatics (*) - but its no speed demon with the fat fishy fus & thick blunt section fin. I sometimes wonder how it would fly if it were skinny - ok, no knife edge, but probably more speed & energy for other moves - with of course the symmetrical MG05 camber changing airfoil.  Then... a cheapo Typhoon fus appeared on fleabay last week - had to be done! So - its now a "project" - which just might take a while - because the Typhoon fus is missing the fin - presumably the boom broke, as they do, then a previous owner had a go at making it v-tail (i.e. bodge). I've got the rear end of a cross tail Crossfire which I can graft onto it, may be a bit oversized though - anyone got a Typhoon fin from a trashed Typhoon maybe? (will post a wanted ad too)

Comments welcomed - heckling - beer - whatever...

Phil.

(* now with a crazy mad-stab setup for flip loops - but that's another story...)

Voltij_Phoon_1.thumb.jpg.498a5362703089ead6e89b28fe554f37.jpgVoltij_Phoon_2.thumb.jpg.00670a870ff87e0676fbd71a0b91e57e.jpg

SilentPilot

Should go like a Minivec :D

MikeDaBike

I've got one I think in yellow ather the fuselage snapped just before the tail. Will take a look this evening when I get home

stewartg

I agree the fuz and fin look draggy but they say that 90% of drag is the wing so it will be interesting to see what difference a skinny fuz makes

An Aresti has far less side area than a Voltij but doesn’t seem to suffer in knife-edge, I think it’s about momentum and energy retention as the Aresti wing loading is likely to be higher than the Voltij

Do you have a ballast tube in your Voltij by any chance, the only way I can add weight to mine is with steel wing joiners and that only adds about 5oz and the wings bend enough with high G Aeros as it is

Wonder how to make the wings stiffer?

Phil.Taylor
4 hours ago, MikeDaBike said:

I've got one I think in yellow ather the fuselage snapped just before the tail. Will take a look this evening when I get home

Thanks Mike !

Phil.

Phil.Taylor
4 hours ago, stewartg said:

I agree the fuz and fin look draggy but they say that 90% of drag is the wing so it will be interesting to see what difference a skinny fuz makes

An Aresti has far less side area than a Voltij but doesn’t seem to suffer in knife-edge, I think it’s about momentum and energy retention as the Aresti wing loading is likely to be higher than the Voltij

Do you have a ballast tube in your Voltij by any chance, the only way I can add weight to mine is with steel wing joiners and that only adds about 5oz and the wings bend enough with high G Aeros as it is

Wonder how to make the wings stiffer?

Yep - Aresti is heavier & more heavily loaded (from what I've read)

Yep - I also use steel wing joiners for that little-bit-extra - have flown it in 50+mph winds - ballast would help energy, but at the risk of destroying the wings, which are built light with no spar.

Phil.

link below - flying in a 55mph wind - flying was ok, launching wasn't -  crazy...

Sloper

Odd i always thought the VoltiJ was quite quick 🙄 but the fuz was awfully prone to breaking

i remember Carpet Pete flying one in an F3F at HOH and getting a 42xx on par with the rest of us with our f3f kit

wookman

All other things being equal, a skinny fuz will make a considerable difference. More speed and energy due to reduction in drag. I am surprised that 90% of drag comes from the wing!

SilentPilot

Total drag (including lift induced) maybe upto 90% from the wing but I can't see it being a large proportion of profile drag.

Woodstock

The Vj definitely has a rather sedate terminal speed.  But, I rather like that: it puts you in a different flying frame of mind.. I re-built my fuzz with a very heavy layup after a number of crashes, and used it thereafter only for strong conditions.  The heavy version didn't go any faster...

Phil.Taylor

The appeal for fin parts came up good - many thanks Mike ! 👍

So - a bit of action with a hacksaw to remove the messy bodged end of the fus - and a trim down & tidy up of the tailboom part - then the tail part fits over the front part - simples!

Quick mock-up "garden fly" - looks promising - tailboom is a bit long because of the join overlap - but should make it track nicely

Phil.

Typhoon_tails.thumb.jpg.2d8af7f1c14eecdb2fa93405b1e46a0e.jpgVolti_Slim_1.thumb.jpg.f4c71a5c95af88015e5b83aecfa0d024.jpgVolti_Slim_2.thumb.jpg.3534dd96e6c7f3a9ab9bfb8a722e0f55.jpg

• Like 1

Witch_1

Fantastic idea, looks way better than the Voltij.  Planning on having dihedral to make landing safer?

Phil.Taylor

Thanks!

dihedral? - nope - its a flattie - same ways up & upside down

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Put the dihedral on a Servo ;) 

oipigface

How about making the fuselage profile deeper, so that it will knife-edge better?

• Haha 2