Alex

Dartmoor 2 Day Cross Country Competition

Alex

Dartmoor 2 Day Cross Country Competition

Meet at Cox Tor Car Park off the B3357 at around 8am.

A great opportunity to improve your thermal and cross country flying whilst having fun.

All welcome.  Must have BMFA insurance. £5 entry per person.  There will be prizes!

Contact Steve Schafer on 07739 347722 or steve.schafer@hotmail.co.uk.

Dartmoor Pic.jpg

oipigface

Has the date been fixed?

Alex

Yes I'm afraid so.

oipigface

Is it a secret?

Alex

Oh yes sorry, it's 6th to 7th July.  I put the date in the calendar section but not on this post!

Marc Sinclair

Excuse my naivetass, but how does cross country rc flying work exactly? Does one follow the sailplane around a set course/waypoints etc?  Landing, height restrictions etc

Or if someone has a link of general rules of engagement :)

Looks fab!   

Thx

Alex

Hi Marc,

We fly gliders (no electric propulsion) round a course of flags (laid out in the order of snooker ball colours), and you need to get yourself and the model around the flags, and do a task e.g. a 360 degree turn at each flag.  There is a time limit for the flying slot, and the aim is to get as far around the course as possible.

Hope you can make it!

Alex

Marc Sinclair

That sounds like great fun/challenging Alex! Thx for the head's up.

I'm still getting my RC feet wet/catching up on new "digital" TX/glider etc, but  this looks like the most fun and would love to give it a try at some point in the future! Thx for invite.

Cheers

Marc 

PS when you say fly a 360 degree turn at flag, does the turn have to be around it or just by the side of it? Thx 

Alex

Without getting too technical, you enter the "gate" where the flag is from a predetermined direction, and get 1 point for that, and then get a further point for completing the task, which is typically a 360 degree turn behind the flag whilst standing arms reach from it, and an exit the way you came in.... 

• Like 1

tonym

@Marc Sinclair I was going to point you at an article that was in the August 2018 BMFA News but that edition isn't listed. I went to the West Mendip club's X-Country last year and had a great time. If I wasn't going to North Norfolk (that's FLAT!) next week I'd have seriously considered this Dartmoor event.

Bbdave

I might pop along to this I'm curious to see what goes on. I live on Dartmoor but never tried slope flying I generally fly at little Haldon  but electric soaring.

Dave