Air Travel with a DLG

Paul Gleeson

Paul Gleeson

My question is about the TX and RX  and the batteries required.

Can you check them in, or do they need to be in the carry on bag?

Can I check in the TX only and carry the battery in hand luggage?

What are peoples experiences.

Thanks, Paul

Airlines are a lot more switched on about this than they used to be three or four years ago. Most have a policy spelled out on their websites, and many of the policies amount to the requirement that Lithium-based batteries (lipo, life, li-ion) be removed from any device, and carried in the cabin. Some also ask for the terminals to be fitted with insulating tape.

My experience F5J though .

I use an Ali Tx Case  .Battery is NOT removed from Tx .

Lipo,s   I use 3s 850 mah Tattu packs .  Last Journey I took 5  each Lipo has contacts xt60 and balance leads wrapped in insulating tape ,then placed in individual small Lipo bag ( purchased from amazon made for maverick drone ) 

I then place the 5 packs in a hard case ( Turnigy / hobbyking)  This then goes inside the Ali case next to Tx ..

This is then carried on board as hand luggage.

I have never had a problem when passing through security and normally tell them what I,m carrying .

I did once have 2 items confiscated.

a reel of tape  and a length of brass ballast ,apparently I could use the tape to tie up the pilots hands and batter him with the brass ballast .

G

SilentPilot

It’s a bit silly that, when you consider you could jump all over a LiPo and turn it into a flare...

8 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

It’s a bit silly that, when you consider you could jump all over a LiPo and turn it into a flare...

The passenger-calming dog would have mauled you before you managed to do that much damage.

13 minutes ago, Paul Gleeson said:

Or turn the TX on and activate a bomb?

Before some of them started asking for batteries to be removed from devices, airport security often asked for the Tx to be switched on before letting you through. I often wondered about the wisdom of this policy!