New Aerotow venue

John Minchell

John Minchell

I realise that most people on this forum are competition orientated, but some of you may also fly scale gliders.

Anyway, there is a new venue for scale aero tow - Sherlowe in Shropshire, very near to High Ercall (google maps ref 52.737785, -2.602407) or Postcode TF6 6LT) and you have to approach it from the High Ercall side as the lane from Cotwall Road (Telford side) is a private road, narrow and gated, which are sometimes shut. It should be large enough (although it is no Middle Wallop) as Bob, the owner, flies his 1:1 Beech Baron Twin in and out of there.  A two day event is being set up for August 3rd and 4th.

Camping, caravans and motor homes all ok, there are flush toilets and a kitchen available as well as a full size aircraft hangar for over-night glider storage, just like at Milson.

The charge is optional, but suggest a £10 donation in the bucket which will go to the air ambulance or another charity like the local Hope House hospice.

The more flyers, the merrier please as if this goes well this year, then I have secured the option of a number of weekends for us to use next year. 

Looking at Aerotows, a BMFA scale event , GPS triangle , F5j etc. so it could be a very good new site for all types of soaring/model flying.

Electric powered gliders are ok, but just one IC tug in the air at a time.

Just need your support - let me know if you can make it please, or any questions email me at  j.minchell@btinternet.com .

• Like 2

Just an observation John.....1 tug in the air at any one time might cause problems...ie, long queues, frustrated glider pilots etc, may put folks off coming.  MAZ.

Mmmm, have yet to see an electric tug at a big event. In fact, I only know of one and that’s out of action at the mo. MAZ.

John Minchell

SP is right, it's one IC tug, but if we have 2 or 3 lined up then as soon as one is down then the next ready one, already hooked up, takes off. 

I can't not comply with the owners wishes at this point.  Once he sees how it goes then we should be able to get around that problem.  He is thinking of the noise footprint and the next door farm about 1/2 a km away.  No restriction on electric tugs or electric gliders.

I take on board your very valid point Maz, however this event is to establish our ability to aero tow all day long and not cause any issues.  If we manage that, we can get a really good venue in the midlands to use for the future and not just for aero tows.

I am busy fettling one IC and one electric tug to hopefully be ready in time as well as persuading other tug pilots to attend.

John M

13 hours ago, John Minchell said:

SP is right, it's one IC tug, but if we have 2 or 3 lined up then as soon as one is down then the next ready one, already hooked up, takes off. 

I can't not comply with the owners wishes at this point.  Once he sees how it goes then we should be able to get around that problem.  He is thinking of the noise footprint and the next door farm about 1/2 a km away.  No restriction on electric tugs or electric gliders.

I take on board your very valid point Maz, however this event is to establish our ability to aero tow all day long and not cause any issues.  If we manage that, we can get a really good venue in the midlands to use for the future and not just for aero tows.

I am busy fettling one IC and one electric tug to hopefully be ready in time as well as persuading other tug pilots to attend.

John M

If I can get there I will bring my Porter tug - it is pretty quiet (I’m sure you saw it at Milson).

Simon

John Minchell

Thanks Simon,

Yes I did see your Porter at Milson & it is very quiet,  I do hope you can make it.

At this stage I just want to get the weekend to work, have a good showing and not have any issues with the owner. 

We can fine tune procedures, numbers and types of tug and what have you, as we go along.

John M

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
John Minchell

Gents

Had another chat with the owner today and he is happy for those people travelling a distance to come up on the Friday afternoon or evening and park up ready for Saturday. 

Quiet models (electric or gliders only) on Friday night please if you really must fly after your journey.

BBQ's are ok if not directly on the ground, so they don't pose a fire hazard to the grass/hay.  Please note the location & directions are in the first post of this thread.

I will be there Friday onwards, so if anyone has any other questions please email me before hand  j.minchell@btinternet.com  or my mobile is 07989 744251.

Regards John M

• 2 weeks later...
John Minchell

Hi Gents

Well the weekend forecast is not exactly wall to wall sunshine.
But, taking an average of 3 or 4 different forecasting programmes, it looks like we shall get in plenty of flying with 5% chance of a shower later on Saturday and for Sunday showers are more likely from 3.00/4.00pm onwards. So fingers crossed for as much dry as we can get.

Directions from High Ercall are signposted to Sherlowe, just inside the 30mph limit, and then turn right after half a mile or so signposted Lower Grounds Farm. Drive past the farmhouse on the right and onto the airfield to the right of the hanger.

Don't forget you BMFA membership card or number (or LMA/SAA) for insurance purposes.
I will be there Friday mid-afternoon for any early campers and from 8.00am or so each day.

John M

John Minchell

Yes thanks for a great turnout today for the first tester day's aero tow.  Some 26 pilots and 6 or 7 tugs and you could count the spots of rain on one hand!

All looking positive for the future use and hope we get some good flying in tomorrow before the forecast rain arrives in the afternoon.

John M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1