6th 2019 2m Hi Start 14 day Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 6th 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2019

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Working all weekend, but managed to get out for an hour late yesterday afternoon.

I bought a new HK bungee and dutifully made up the ends and tried it out. It was absolutely useless. I could only stretch it by about 1x its length and even broke my 35lb BS towline trying to stretch it further.. The best flight on that line was only 1:13 from about 10m altitude and in that brief launch I nearly ripped the wings off . I'll tell HK what the problem is but don't hold your breath. In the meantime we need to source an alternative.

After 4 or 5 attempts, temper got the better of me and I put my old HK bungee back on again and promptly broke it again. A quick knotted repair and one final flight that looked promising at the launch but quickly fizzled out and a bad stall didn't help. The air had gone very cool so a mere 1:59 but I'll try and get out gain one evening this week to improve it.

image.png.bd24ff4e9fcc7cca2addf808f9d448de.png

I actually managed to get out yesterday with the MadRES. First of all it was windless with nice thermals being marked by the seagulls. I flew my Pegasus (electric 2m) for the first hour or so, then we had an edge of cloud move over, and a breeze started so out came the bungy. However, the nice thermals had become much more turbulent, and the best I could manage of the relatively low launches was 1:37 before a sideways landing dislodged the rudder from one side of its bond to the fuselage tube and stopped play. On the positive side, it is at least a time :). I am retiring from full time employment on Friday, so hopefully the MadRES will see more airtime in the coming months (although there are some other non flying projects stacking up...).

Thanks Paul

I went out last night. Got to the field about 6:15. Weather was perfect, warm, sunny and a very gentle breeze. Unpacked and set my model up and then realised my bungee was still on my bench at home. So pack up, went home collected bungee and back at 7:30. By now it ws absolutely dead, not a breath of wind and clouded over and noticeably colder. I must have had 20 flights and not one was in any noticeable lift but worse, I was only getting to about 30m on the line. All flights were about 1;30 to 1:50 which was very frustrating. Packed up at about 8:45pm and the breeze came back.  <sigh>

Went out again last night. The weather pattern was identical to Monday. We live (and fly) on the Cheshire plain and I think that what is happening is that cold air moves in from the Pennines  to the East early evening when its very calm - it went noticeably chilly again last night although the air was not quite as still. The result was that I got slightly  better launches and correspondingly slightly longer flights but still not wonderful. Best was 2:15 but flights now averaging 2:00 but getting worse as the wind (what there was of it) dropped.

image.png.dce45432a594c500dd08a4b98eb9e008.png

20 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Martyn, you need a dlg with tow hook for days like that 😀

😂 I was reading Mike's ballast or dive presentation paper and looking at the sample polars. If they are representative of a typical dlg then I am very envious.  Not quite in the spirit of F3-RES though. 

John Minchell

Martyn

Have you tried moving the tow hook rearwards a couple of mm at a time, as you may find you can get higher launches doing that and / or moving the CG to the rear in small increments?

Just a thought

John M

Unfortunately, its not that easy to move John. Its also very close to the stall on launch anyway. When you see it, you'll see what I mean, I don't think it will be happy further back, I have to hold a little down  at launch to stop it pinging off on the near vertical start phase

On 17/07/2019 at 11:31, martynk said:

image.png.dce45432a594c500dd08a4b98eb9e008.png

Hi Martyn, are you planning on adding my rather measly 1:37 from above? Hopefully I will better it this weekend...

I am so sorry Paul, I did read your post than my mind had a senior moment:

image.png.34e4194c15649e449681ecda2ab904c2.png

It can be so frustrating.. Did you get the rudder fixed OK?

No worries! ;)

Small dab of thick cyano sorted everything out. I should be flying again tomorrow,  if the wind dies down a bit. I will at the very least take the pictures I promised!

Unless someone drops a score in this evening, Guy won this one. Well done

League table updated and a new challenge started.

More entries please :)