Hungary 2019 wc

thechalster

Mike C - excellent result and a good call for poker.  Given your other scores, and the absence of a fly-off, going all-in and doing it would have got you seventh as it turned out BUT If the other contenders had dropped poker you'd have been higher and could have been in the money.

Richard was in a similar position, I see.

If there was going to be a fly-off at the end I guess you'd have gone for a 5x2 type approach or some other 'safe' option.

Good luck to the Team for the Champs!

thechalster
16 hours ago, mikef said:

Mike C - excellent result and a good call for poker.  Given your other scores, and the absence of a fly-off, going all-in and doing it would have got you seventh as it turned out BUT If the other contenders had dropped poker you'd have been higher and could have been in the money.

Richard was in a similar position, I see.

If there was going to be a fly-off at the end I guess you'd have gone for a 5x2 type approach or some other 'safe' option.

Good luck to the Team for the Champs!

Great mines think a like. 👍

Well done to the team.   Thanks for the all updates on FB.    

• How high does Joe W launch to?
  • Did they cut the comp down from 15 rounds to 12?
  • Was surprised not to see PomPom in the WC - did he just not make the team?

Congrats to Henri.

Richard Swindells
On 19/07/2019 at 13:14, cirrusRC said:

Well done to the team.   Thanks for the all updates on FB.    

• How high does Joe W launch to?

Middle of pack. He's just got amazing air reading skills and very accurate on the sticks

• Did they cut the comp down from 15 rounds to 12?

They only hired the field till Friday. Not enoght staff to manage without 1 hour lunch break. Willful deceit of all competitors.

• Was surprised not to see PomPom in the WC - did he just not make the team?

PomPom? 

Congrats to Henri.

Marin Mitev

It would be interesting to see all rounds and times that different pilots have achieved. I can't find this info anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

Yes Joe amazes me,  guessing he must have been one of the oldest competitors there and yet would have finished 2nd but for the dropped round rule.    Is he launching over 60m?

PomPom = Quentin Phillipe

Richard Swindells
On 22/07/2019 at 23:53, cirrusRC said:

Yes Joe amazes me,  guessing he must have been one of the oldest competitors there and yet would have finished 2nd but for the dropped round rule.    Is he launching over 60m?

PomPom = Quentin Phillipe

The pilots were aware of the dropped round for the flyoff, so flew to the tactics required (i.e. having the buffer of taking some risks).  Had the correct rules been flown, the pilots would have flown differently and Joe may have been anywhere from 1st to 12th. The flyoff results were fair considering the mistake of the Jury (Some who really should be considering passing on the role in future)

For Joes style of flying, launch height is not so much of a limiting factor. He ALWAYS launches and heads to the thermal he has a read of. The bigger launchers tend to have 30 seconds to play with and can cover the other pilots without having to rely on their own reads.. he's not unbeatable though (I've flown against Joe 10 times now at international competition and have somehow scored higher than him in 5 of those)

For sure he is super skilled and more than capable of winning f3k worlds in the future... but first is the F5J world championships. It would be a fantastic achievement if he could win that and he'll have a lot of us supporting him (depending on how the UK team do).

We did not mix too much with the french team. A combination of a certain drama queen, mother####er (MDFK) branding everywhere (Not great that my 7 year old is running round saying muh-duh-fuh-kah because of this) and the MDFK branded t-shirts having a woman with dripping knickers round her ankles holding an f3k model is not too attractive , as a 1/4 of our team are female.

I really enjoyed the event itself. Neil did a fantastic job as TM and I really really hope he will take up the role again, his support for the team both financially (with sponsorship)  and with organisation really stood out... not to mention the good vibes! We had way way too much fun most evenings :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard Swindells

Unfortunately I had to pass up on f5j. A Combination of many circumstances, but boils down to :- for 2x World champs it's 4 weeks unpaid + price of 3x models for f5j + a wedding, this year was getting expensive. Something had to give.. Which was an easy decision. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Richard Swindells said:

We did not mix too much with the french team. A combination of a certain drama queen, mother####er (MDFK) branding everywhere (Not great that my 7 year old is running round saying muh-duh-fuh-kah because of this) and the MDFK branded t-shirts having a woman with dripping knickers round her ankles holding an f3k model is not too attractive , as a 1/4 of our team are female.

I actually wonder how much longer this will continue, Nick seems a great and guy and extremely funny but he hasn't created something that I would imagine is ideal for attracting newcomers into the hobby, especially females. There's already been some drama in the quad racing scene over sexiest comments and some bad behaviour from a certain male racer, I just wonder how long it will be before someone really takes offence to what Nick has created. The more popular F3K becomes the sooner it's likely to happen I guess. But then is it wrong that we're kinda ignoring it just because our hobby is not so in the public eye like the big sponsored quad racing is? 

I don't know, just thinking out loud, but like Richard says, it obviously makes the females feel uncomfortable and I did notice a young lady flying a Snipe in the WC, not to mention the language for the younger fliers. I get trying to brand cool and hip, but there's better ways I'm sure, having MDFK on planes at a WC I don't think was the best idea.