Tabless servos?

PaulR

So I’ve got my BAMF in bits again after my second break of the fuse in 2 weeks. 

This time I’m not 100% sure of the cause, but since one servo is not functional that’s my best guess. 

My question is, does anyone have any smart ideas for mounting tabless servos in the tray designed for tabbed? I can build a ply support under the tray to keep them in position, but I guess then I’d just have to glue them to make them secure...?

I have 4 spares (bluebird) on hand but none with tabs.

3D4BFC09-E137-4CED-B1B2-9B7D1179C487.jpeg

How about a vertical plate to glue the servos to? Here is a picture of my trusty old Eliminator slope racer with tabless servos:

1993336463_EliminatorServoMount.thumb.JPG.2242be5baf9cfb7bd7ba6745fb4b953b.JPG

Maybe you can put a thin vertical plate between the two pairs of servos without increasing the weight too much? Clearly the 1/8th ply I used would be too much for a DLG!

I'm not pointing the finger as there could be many reasons, and a lot people have success with it, but for me, I'm never putting Frsky gear into any of my planes ever again. I've also switched to MKS where I can. But again, you use what you are used too and comfortable with. Just watch those antennas, on the newer G-RX6 and the RX4/6R I found they break right where the coax joins the mini clip very easy, sometimes I think it's not always visible. 

I'm sure I've seen people using PaulJ method but under the tray so it looks neater and you don't notice it. I've flown a few Snipes and the Blaster 3 and never had a issue ever gluing servos in, even without scuffing the cases as I tried once. Always been a strong bond. I used CA and was easy to cut them free too. 

Paul Gleeson

Here is my boom repair favourite method. Had to do this on my NRJ. 

only added 1.1g

Was it a crash on launch?

22 hours ago, PaulR said:

So I’ve got my BAMF in bits again after my second break of the fuse in 2 weeks. 

This time I’m not 100% sure of the cause, but since one servo is not functional that’s my best guess. 

My question is, does anyone have any smart ideas for mounting tabless servos in the tray designed for tabbed? I can build a ply support under the tray to keep them in position, but I guess then I’d just have to glue them to make them secure...?

I have 4 spares (bluebird) on hand but none with tabs.

3D4BFC09-E137-4CED-B1B2-9B7D1179C487.jpeg

Usually you can buy spares for servos. Maybe the Bluebird cases with tabs are available?

1 hour ago, Paul Gleeson said:

Here is my boom repair favourite method. Had to do this on my NRJ. 

only added 1.1g

Was it a crash on launch?

Nooooo Paul! Not the new NRJ?! What happened with yours? 

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Hi Paul ,

What is happened , how did you break it?

Flying on Sunday at the BMFA Southern area "Gala". Not very busy there, but I was meeting the buyer for my Vibe.

I'd  had a few flights, came down, hand catch - went to throw again and it just started rolling left as I launched. Arced over at the top - I still had some control but I think one of the aileron servos must have given up between catching and launching - there would be a big movement as the flaps reset when I pull my launch switch which could have been the point it became stuck in position.

Anyway, the 30g ballast ejected itself half way through the nose cone (ripping the kevlar/glass), the inner nose cracked and the shock broke the boom about 1cm behind where I repaired it last week (don't let your 9 yr old son try and throw your DLG no matter how enthusiastic and competent he appears!).

Amazingly the wing seems fine but I think I need to give it a really good check - especially the hinges.

Luckily this wasn't my newer, lighter weight wing/fuse.

I'm using expanding foam and the good/new fuse to make an alignment jig to get this one back together. It'll be fine. Might need to find some good pink paint for the nose cone.

Nose cone cracks filled, nose glassed (outside only so far) and good fuse in foam making my alignment jig...

E9FEB206-1A7D-461B-871B-11BD787A8BCF.jpeg

F946E13E-A220-4572-A257-73C8154FE1F9.jpeg

C235DF03-6985-43D5-BCBD-E04A6F827723.jpeg

1 hour ago, Martin O said:

Usually you can buy spares for servos. Maybe the Bluebird cases with tabs are available?

I haven’t sen them but good thought. I’ll have a quick search. 

8 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

I'm not pointing the finger as there could be many reasons, and a lot people have success with it, but for me, I'm never putting Frsky gear into any of my planes ever again. I've also switched to MKS where I can. But again, you use what you are used too and comfortable with. Just watch those antennas, on the newer G-RX6 and the RX4/6R I found they break right where the coax joins the mini clip very easy, sometimes I think it's not always visible. 

I’m not going to blame Frsky for this one. 

The fact the servo arm looked like this after it hit leads me to believe the servo was probably locked solid before the impact. Could have been before I guess, but with the roll on launch that’s my best guess. 

A183DB61-A1FE-49F0-835D-56C2E6A17363.jpeg

Ouch! 

Looks like you’re well on the way to getting it repaired. 

I’ve only tried the Yellow but I know Halfords have a selection of dayglo colours now and do Pink, although not sure how well the match would be.

Im all about White nose cones now, Your Pink BAMF with a White nose would look great! 

Paul Gleeson

Can you look at the telemetry to understand the rf link the commands to sent to the servos etc.

I was able to diagnose my NRJ failure on launch to me knocking the elevator stick forward as I returned my hand to the tx. 

Rf ok, flight modes ok, spike to elevator control input. 

The NRJ ended up vertical with the nose buried 4” in the ground. Everything survived the impact. The nose come came out with just a couple of minor cracks. 

Damage was limited by being a perfectly vertical crash just the boom compressed on impact

I like the foam idea. 

29 minutes ago, Paul Gleeson said:

Can you look at the telemetry to understand the rf link the commands to sent to the servos etc.

I hadn't thought of doing that since I was pretty sure it wasn't a control input problem.

Having looked now though, I feel less bad about the fact I didn't react in time to save it since it didn't get higher than 22m and there was about 3 seconds between releasing the launch switch and impact!

47 minutes ago, Mark Evans said:

Ouch! 

Looks like you’re well on the way to getting it repaired. 

I’ve only tried the Yellow but I know Halfords have a selection of dayglo colours now and do Pink, although not sure how well the match would be.

Im all about White nose cones now, Your Pink BAMF with a White nose would look great! 

I anticipate some funny looks if I was to go Halfords to check the colour match with a rather phallic looking pink nosecone...

My nose cones usually end up covered in mud. Not a good look with any colour - but worse with white I would think. I might just leave it as is. The cosmetics don't really bother me as long as it flys ok.

• Like 1

I wondered why I was getting some funny looks outside the house when I had mine on the end of a stick painting it.....lol. 

• Haha 1

That's  not good to hear. I had once broke my Nxt old one which I sold , and I had few times with very strong throw the plane is going straight not up , I still flew the plane and I broke on the pieces.  First I thought is a fail servo . I didn't find the problem . Now a week a go I flew the another my NXT and happened exactly again and  I managed to landing and was happy I found the problem . The elevator rope was behind the rear wing screw and elevator staying 3mm down . This happening when you spinning hard and the robs start vibrating like on guitar. I  cut shorter the rear bolt to be flat in the fuse. 2 times exactly same incident with 2 different planes and different servos. 

And for Frsky they have really good software for dlg  but sometimes I get one of the wing servos on the aileron jitter up and down with kst and now sometimes with mks .I  have and another's fails with frsky gear .I start think to going to different transmitter but still I dont know which. I think about futaba

It's correct Mike ,

I broke my NXT was without ballast and now second time happened with ballast 20gr. and I saw how the elevator cable was behind the rear screw , also I made my ballast stayed behind screw and doesn't going to the cables because is staying between the screw and the fuselage, and when I landing I saw my elevator cable was also there .

I was surprised to see that