Ok to tape up ailerons on a DLG?

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Got a battered old DLG  Longshot with a stripped aileron servo, it will require a bit work to replace,  but in the mean time I was thinking of taking her out for a spin today...

Is it ok to tape up the ailerons/ use ruder + elevator only? 

Cheers

Paul Gleeson

No, there is not enough dihedral to get the model to turn with rudder only.

If you at pictures of a Elf DLG, you can see the amount you need for a rudder/elevator model.

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for the head's up Paul, you saved me a load of grief :). I will take my flying ceiling tile(Alula Trek) out for a spin instead.

Marc RC pilot

Hi Pete

That's a good story/good to know :)

Took your advice and went out practising/having fun with my ceiling tile (Alula Trek). Nice day for flying being a little hazy and all (easy on the old eyes/easier to spot small glider at distance). Quite a bit of erratic thermal activity (swallows(?) darting about all day long in heated areas with the thermal dons (seagulls) sometimes circling above at height on the good/larger ones etc).

One of the servos on that spare wing is dodgy and to be honest, I rather get something new as I am rather paranoid about losing control/having to replace due to mechanical failure (as well as RC failures). That set of wings had a compression ridge going on (a bit like my Algebra) and I did not want to chance that either/to much flaff to repair/ was realy battered anyway...I ended up smashing ripping dissecting and binning it and learned how the longshot wing is put together in the process :D

Cheers

Marc 

Marc RC pilot

I went out with the one aileron and a dodgy repaired boom. I bumped up the dif (thx Pete) and she turned ok (better on the working aileron side). The boom snapped on the old repair and I fixed with a some super glue, a nail stick (that's all I had handy on field) and tape to keep me flying of sorts...lol

How she made it back in one piece with dodgy boom fix which became movable as it got hotter I don't know...All good fun.

I must say the Longshot, despite being the "poor man's DLG" flies very well and gracefully.  SHe also picks up speed and cuts into wind well.

So nice to fly a glider with Rud/Elv/Ail control to make coordinated turns/get out of trouble etc.

Pics to follow shortly.

Thanks for advice chaps as always :)  👍