BMFA F3F League 2 Wales 28th July

mtreble

Hi guys

Conditions look good with a strong westerly forecast so I'm going to call the comp ON.  Meeting place is as normal the Ice cream car park at 9am. 

Cheers

Joel

• Like 7

Well that wasn't quite the day I expected. We arrived to conditions that clearly were on the Ice cream Slope (NW) however after a brief con-flab it was decided to set up on Mikeys and wait for the forecasted Westerly to kick-in. This proved to be the right call as the wind did move to flyable, if cocked off conditions which then stayed with us for the rest of the day. Unfortunately though with lightish winds and a lot off thermal activity this led to some difficult flying conditions at times.  That being said, we manage 8 rounds with 19 pilots until flying was finally curtailed at 5pm with the wind dropping and both batteries for the course spent :)   

I'm really pleased to say that Andy B came out top with Graeme a close second.  Both flew really well in challenging conditions and thoroughly deserved their placing.  Thanks to everyone else for helping out both in the centre and at the bases.  Sorry that I can't remember the rest of the placings. I'm sure that uncle Pete will post the spread sheet soon!

• Like 3

Thanks to Joel and the team for another well organised race.

Conditions were interesting and variable to say the least. I failed in my bid not to come last, we will see by how much later!

Great day out.

• Like 3

Top day out!

Thanks guys for organising and running the day.

I found today really difficult to get the most out of each run. A really good, challenging and fun day.

Massive congrats Andy B!!!

• Like 2

A great day for me obviously    but was great to catch up with everyone again....I was thoroughly peed off after HofH    so to get some good air was most welcome in wales .Thanks to Joel Graeme and Uncle Pete (the pot holer)    .

😀

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Andy_B said:

I was thoroughly peed off after HofH

It's my turn to be grumpy this weekend,  the weather Gods were not kind to me. I had some really bad sink on a lot of my flights to then hear Clayton, flying after me, got some really good air. 

Thats the Joy's of F3F racing though. Some comps you can get good air, others not. At least I didn't feel like I flew badly the whole day, that would have really peed me off.

It was awesome to get out and spend the day with some great friends and JP, haha only kidding mate. Was an awesome day seeing everyone. 

Well done Andy and thanks for organising Joel.

Pete Burgess
10 hours ago, Andy_B said:

and Uncle Pete (the pot holer)    .

☺️☺️☺️  very good Andy...

Mind you I suppose that I was lucky not to break a leg...……..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pete Burgess said:

☺️☺️☺️  very good Andy...

Mind you I suppose that I was lucky not to break a leg...……..

Both times... haha

• Like 1

Congratulations on winning round 2 of the BMFA league Mr B 👏

Well done Graeme on taking  second place 👍.

3rd place ? 

Very interested to hear if the ' new rules' / interpretation  regarding wind speed & direction were applied ? 

Very disappointed that I had to miss yet another comp 😭.

Stu. 

isoaritfirst

Well done Andy.

No denying you had the thermal of the day, but also no denying that you played your hand well.

Personally my day was poor, with two cuts early on,  and then little else to get my teeth into. 

Like a lot of us It was a tricky day to stay focused on.  

The day offered so much, good wind, good slope, sunshine, somehow though all these great components seemed to want to play alone and never really came together to give the expected conditions.

As always its still a great way to spend a day, with mates.

• Like 4

Congratulations on your well deserved win Andy............

So how much of the journey home did you and Mike discuss the benefits of a Pitbull 2 over a Pitbull 1 then?  🤔😉

• Like 1

Another enjoyable day at the bwlch. Good call on which slope to set up on Joel!

Well done to Andy, Graeme and Joel on their Podium places and many thanks to Joel, Graeme, Pete and Mark for CDing.

Conditions were very tricky at times and like Mike said it promised more but never quite delivered.

My Jedi flew surprisingly well with 1250kg ballast all day, bar the last flight.  Wondered why it felt a bit flicky.  Senior moment ballasting, duh!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gromit said:

Very interested to hear if the ' new rules' / interpretation  regarding wind speed & direction were applied ?  

Stu. 

Bump, Anyone answer this please ? 

With conditions being described as  'tricky, 'bad sink',  & 'crossed wind',  lightish wind' with lots of thermals , I'd have thought the 'new interpretation' would have been near impossible to implement, & caused endles reflights throughout the day. ?

Stu. 

33 minutes ago, Gromit said:

Bump, Anyone answer this please ? 

With conditions being described as  'tricky, 'bad sink',  & 'crossed wind',  lightish wind' with lots of thermals , I'd have thought the 'new interpretation' would have been near impossible to implement, & caused endles reflights throughout the day. ?

Stu. 

I dont think there was anything at the centre showing wind direction or speed. Unless the CD had an electronic device I didn't see while flying.

We did have 3 reflights though, not sure if they were "offered", I would have welcomed a few...🤣

• Confused 1

Great days flying, typically variable but well handled most of the time I thought. Good call for slope and good cd'ing meant it all ran smoothly after the wind backed on. My hat off to gentleman Mark who walked to landing twice as many times to see that Peter's tricks weren't repeated while flying!

• Like 3

isoaritfirst
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

So how much of the journey home did you and Mike discuss the benefits of a Pitbull 2 over a Pitbull 1 then?  🤔😉

Just checked the score sheet - comparing my rounds against Andy's

I beat him 4 rounds out of 8!  😀       PB2 rocks!

Which of course means that he beat me 4 rounds out of 8 ☹️   PB1 still  cuts it.

Guess its not what you do, but how you do it......

Or even when you do it.

Thankfully I did time one of my cuts to correspond with Andy's FTD. 

Quite possibly the only luck I had all day....  😁😁

• Like 1