mtreble

BMFA F3F League 2 Wales 28th July

Andy_B

and after 4 rounds I wasnt winning ..............

• Like 1

Alibabaj
2 hours ago, Gromit said:

Very interested to hear if the ' new rules' / interpretation  regarding wind speed & direction were applied ? 

Stu. 

Hi Stu,

We never imposed the new ruling, we used the usual common sense rule.

Regarding wind direction/speed, we didn't had a direction indicator so we used CD discretion and Joel's wet finger however we did have speed, and I think it was 4 reflights due to direction.

I understand that GBSRA may be securing some fully integrated wind speed & direction equipment so reflights shall be automatic? correct me if I'm wrong Mark.

Congrats Andy very nicely flown all day!!

Pitbull 2 going very well in the challenging conditions now I've found the correct flap neutral !!  (no fuselage wing route on PB2)

G

• Like 3

isoaritfirst
13 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

and after 4 rounds I wasnt winning ..............

Surprising,

You obviously played your cards right.

and took the Brucie Bonus.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oipigface

I’m on the same wavelength as Brett. I seemed to have flown well all day without my usual scattering of errors, (no cuts, no gross overflying) and wound up in 14th! Best time was destroyed by Burgoyne.

What could be better, though, than a full day’s flying, in comfortable temperatures, no rain, model back home in one piece, and no real regrets about one’s performance?

Thanks to the management, and to Dave R, my lucky launcher for the day!

• Like 3

Brett82

John, something I noticed is out of 19 pilots, 15 finished with 900 points. 

You dont see that very often. Hence why it seems strange to fly "ok" and still finish down the list. 

jwest532
3 hours ago, Alibabaj said:

Hi Stu,

We never imposed the new ruling, we used the usual common sense rule.

Regarding wind direction/speed, we didn't had a direction indicator so we used CD discretion and Joel's wet finger however we did have speed, and I think it was 4 reflights due to direction.

I understand that GBSRA may be securing some fully integrated wind speed & direction equipment so reflights shall be automatic? correct me if I'm wrong Mark.

Congrats Andy very nicely flown all day!!

Pitbull 2 going very well in the challenging conditions now I've found the correct flap neutral !!  (no fuselage wing route on PB2)

G

Sorry Stu

Been working all day  :(

As has been stated, conditions were very tricky but wind speed was never an issue except at the very end of round 8 when I did start to check the speed but it never dropped below 5m/s.

We did have a couple of instances where thermals dragged the wind past 45 degrees,  however I was never in a position of having to tell the pilot he had to take a re-flight as by that stage it was quite obvious the lift had all but gone.

My reflections on the day were that I did feel quite exposed as a CD running a comp without a weather vane and the only real reason it was never an issue was, if I'm honest, because we have a very sensible, mature and knowledgeable group of flyers in our league.  The other reflection I had was that I have been at comps where a weather vane was used but due to the nature of the hill gave such a false reading that it took a pilot to protest (by using his model with crow out as the weather vane on lap 9) to get the CD to admit that the wind was 80 degrees off the slope.    

I think what I am trying to say is that rules and equipment are important and we should do better in the UK at the latter.   However, it's my opinion that the CD needs to be able to react to what he sees around him and the pilots need to understand (as they do in the UK) that they choose to compete in an imperfect but hugely entertaining sport :). 

Hope that helps

Joel

• Like 6

f3fisa

I think Andy's result is a good example of you never know what is going to happen. He was 15th in round 1, then first in round 2, and then 13th in round 3. Who would have bet he was then going to win, so the motto is never give up.

I was one of the lucky flyers to get a reflight which was nice, but it did mean another walk up the hill in the uneven ground to land.

I think if we had of had a wind measuring device then there would have been a lot more possible reflights and many more landings, which were a pain.

According to the weather reports during the day the wind was 300 deg all day, so where would you have put the weather station and what direction would have been normal as the slope faces 270 deg.

I think the comp went very well with the help of everyone involved, and to my knowledge no damaged models.

Thanks to Joel for doing a difficult job on the day CDing, even down to the change of finishing time.

David.

• Like 2

Redbird

Would someone please post the finishing positions because for some reason the leaderboard in the spreadsheet is empty in Android or PC. Thanks

jwest532

image.png.b570e0a5434ece044254ea8d2955d1a2.png

• Thanks 1

Gromit
1 hour ago, jwest532 said:

Sorry Stu

I think what I am trying to say is that rules and equipment are important and we should do better in the UK at the latter.   However, it's my opinion that the CD needs to be able to react to what he sees around him and the pilots need to understand (as they do in the UK) that they choose to compete in an imperfect but hugely entertaining sport :). 

Hope that helps

Joel

Thank you Joel, echoe of my own thoughts completely

Stu. 

• Like 2

Redbird

Pic from base B

IMAG1278.jpg

• Like 5

jwest532

Even the turbine's can't agree on wind direction :)

• Haha 1

wookman

Last I may have been but not a distant last so that is encouraging. Not so bad for my first summer league event. I suppose it just leaves more room for improvement!

• Like 5

oipigface
13 hours ago, Brett82 said:

John, something I noticed is out of 19 pilots, 15 finished with 900 points. 

You dont see that very often. Hence why it seems strange to fly "ok" and still finish down the list. 

You are right Brett. I noticed that  I was first up and conditions were tending to improve all day so my conditions were a little worse on average than others. Especially noticeable in the first round, where I got the worst conditions I had all day and struggled to a 61. The mighty B, who was second up, got a 57, and then things generally got a lot better for all of us.

Witch_1

I enjoyed the day.  Thanks Joel and those that did the centre.  The progress chart shows how variable the conditions were, but also how consistent the field was in taking advantage when they got the chance, with some big position swaps near the end despite relatively small points changes. 

BMFA F3F L2 Wales Jul2019 charts.xls Charts.pdf

• Thanks 2

Alibabaj
2 hours ago, Witch_1 said:

I enjoyed the day.  Thanks Joel and those that did the centre.  The progress chart shows how variable the conditions were, but also how consistent the field was in taking advantage when they got the chance, with some big position swaps near the end despite relatively small points changes. 

Very interesting stats Nigel

I thought Bruce was doing well... R5 - Bruce 1, Andy 2 & me 3

Keep it up Bruce!

• Like 1

Redbird

I'll do my darndest I assure you! It's my mission to try and keep the quick boys on their toes.

• Like 5

Andy_B

comon Mike where are the pictures    🥰

• Like 1

Skip

there are a couple pics and vids on my blog, but i've been really slack with my blog lately and this entry covers all the way back to the final Welsh Winter League event!

Have a read if you like or just scroll to the end for pics and vids of this event 😊

https://skipsoaring.blogspot.com/2019/07/i-have-been-proper-lazy-with-ol-blog.html

• Like 2

Redbird

Beautiful photos Mike! Great to see. 

On Rc-soar.