Good day at Callow Bank

DDM

I spent a thoroughly enjoyable day at Callow Bank today. The wind was nicely in the bowl and freshened through the day.

I had maiden flights with my Needle 124, Willow 2 and Wizard.

I was sure that someone else would come and keep me company, but in the end I flew alone all day.

I wonder if it is the wooden posts and wire fence erected by the farmer along the top of the slope that puts people off? 

20190721_150916[1].jpg

• Like 3

Marc RC pilot

Nice one Dave, sounds fab. 👍

What an amazing quiver of sailplanes you have sir! :)

Would you be so kind as to tell me which is which in that photo and how big in wing span is that red cross tail one please.

Also, how on earth did you manage to bring all those gliders to the top of the slope? 

Cheers and happy flying

Marc 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

The planes in the photo are Needle 124 with red/yellow/blue wing stripes, Willow 2 with red/blue wing stripes, Wizard with red/black tips. The red model is a Schwing and the span is 88".

I've got 2 very large padded model bags, one for the wings and the other for the fuselages. It did take some carrying I must admit!!

Cheers

Dave

John Minchell

Where exactly is Callow Bank? Anyone got a map and which wind direction it works please.

I've looked at the Slopehunter website but its not on there ( many of the north wales sites are missing too).

Thanks in advance John M

pete beadle

Hi John

Hathersage, Derbyshire - although I believe potential flyers there are having problems still:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi John

Some pics of Callow Bank from our ISA Awayday in 2013........

As you can see it's an impressive slope:thumbsup::yes: ISA members BarryM, KenG and AdrianS doing the flying....yes I took the pics! 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0025.JPG

John Minchell

ISA Awaydays - I remember that starting when I was still living down there.  Thanks for the pics Pete.

Must have a chat with some of the guys up here and see about having an awayday or two for a bit of variety up this neck of the woods.

pete beadle

Hi John

Yes, but, make a point of asking if the trouble with the farmer there is resolved won't you?

Last I heard, was fences were being built to keep flyers out, but that's quite a while ago now.....I was quite surprised when I found the pics were from 2013!:)

I think there was something about this on the BARCS forum a while back and, at the time everything was getting a bit heated:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Marc RC pilot
On 30/07/2019 at 22:23, Dave Demott said:

Hi Marc,

The planes in the photo are Needle 124 with red/yellow/blue wing stripes, Willow 2 with red/blue wing stripes, Wizard with red/black tips. The red model is a Schwing and the span is 88".

I've got 2 very large padded model bags, one for the wings and the other for the fuselages. It did take some carrying I must admit!!

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave and well done with the carrying/bags