barry h

Hi all

I recently purchased this Luna off of this site , ( See before and after pics )  I am trying to find out the Cof G , I have read that it is 90mm from LE. This seems a bit far back as the Spar is at 70mm and the wing chord is 230mm . 

This is the sheath nose version . I added the canopy sticker when I removed the black paint covering the fus and nose sheath and  several cracks to the fus just behind the rear of the wing mount. ( this was not mentioned when I enquired about any or how much damage , hangar rash the model had.) 

I have resprayed the fus in the correct colour but have sprayed the sheath fluro orange. Its now very visible but im not shure that I like it. Any comments would be appreciated !!

See pics of before with black fus and after with orange fus.

Regards

Barry

LUNA.jpg

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

Phil.Taylor

A quick google & I found a recommendation of 95-102mm from the LE at the wing root - I would start at 95mm, not 90mm

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45924&p=2

You need to take into account that the wing planform has quite a swept-back LE - so its not really a rearward CofG 

Hope you have fun flying it - they were well regarded at the time.

Phil.

• Like 1

pete beadle
11 hours ago, barry h said:

I added the canopy sticker when I removed the black paint covering the fus and nose sheath and  several cracks to the fus just behind the rear of the wing mount. ( this was not mentioned when I enquired about any or how much damage , hangar rash the model had.

Hi barry h

It is quite pointless to put comments like this on a request for help......I assume you didn't inspect the model before buying it(?) Anyone buying a second-hand model MUST realise that it is up to them to find these things out and, to assess if these faults are unacceptable, and, if so, to NOT buy the model......in law the phrase caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies, this requires the purchaser to to make every effort to find out this sort of thing before buying.....particularly when buying used items

I am completely sure the seller didn't try to mislead you, he wouldn't have provided pics if he had, it's for you to ask the questions and to assess if the replies are acceptable BEFORE you buy, and, if in doubt NOT to buy the item.......sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it IS what you should have done

Many years ago I flew Algebras, specifically the Mark 8 and the 2 metre, where the recommended  CG position for both was 65% of the root chord(!)......the average for models without swept wings was 35-40% This rearward position was a feature of all swept wing aircraft, particularly in the case of fast jets for example. In your case it was the leading edge sweep that demanded this more rearward placement 

If in doubt, or if you are the slightest bit worried, use your more forward CG position for the first flight and the more rearward position for the second. and see for yourself which you prefer.....only you can assess whether it's what you want to see :yes:

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

I wasn't actually asking for any comments on the condition of the model. I simply mentioned that after pics and phone conversations the damage to the fus wasn't mentioned though I obviously suspected so, re the black paint on the fus.  Don't know about you but I find it quite difficult to inspect a model over the phone !

If you read fully I was asking for comments as to wether the model looked better with a fluro nose or with a black fus and nose.

I like to hear other peoples opinions.

I certainly wasn't slaging anybody off.