roderic craig

Importance of sealing gap between flap and T/E edge

roderic craig

Have a Phase6 with flaps. Just refitted them with Robart hinges to get accurate alignment. How important is it to seal the gap with hinge tape? Have heard that the air makes a nice whistle as it moves through the gap!!

roderic craig

Thought by now someone would have suggested that by sealing the gap it would make it much more effective!

Suppose if you have more turbulent air when crow breaking that its less important

SilentPilot

Some aircraft, admittedly usually powered STOL aircraft, purposely use untaped hinges. It makes for a Slotted Flap.

Not sure there are any benefits for a glider. I'd tape the underside.

If you plan on using any Up flap for Reflex then tape it in the full up position :)

Tony

Hi, no expert by any means. If it was me I'd probably have a go at sealing them for two reasons: I don't presume it'd do any harm and I'd hope it would aerodynamically improve things and secondly it'd look pretty good as well.  I'd find it interesting as well just finding a solution of how to do it. Whether I would notice the difference or not is out for debate.  Tony

• Like 1

roderic craig

Thanks guys .Will seal it but just for interest may try it without first ,just to see if there is a noticeable difference

• Like 1