2nd hand market, in general

Tony

Just a chin wag basically about the second hand market. Apart from some asking extortionate asking prices on e bay that are barely air worthy I've noticed on the BMFA official site there seems to be a run on anything Spektrum and everything is going quite cheap even what I'd describe as "top end" tx's. Is there a reason for this?  I did use Spektrum years ago and really liked their set ups. Really tempted but I use Frsky for evrything these days. I also notice from time to time some older really good in their day 35mhz tx's which I'm tempted to buy for god knows why especially some of the German stuff. Does anyone still use 35mhz these days?

I gave a way the last of my 35MHz receivers. I had converted my Multiplex 3030 to 2.4GHz, and sold that to move to Frsky. I can't see why anyone would use 35MHz these days, unless they are flying alone and still have all the stuff. I suppose the risk of being shot down is small now the usage is so low?

Regarding airframes on eBay, I guess there are those with an inflated opinion about the value of their old models, and some who are not really sure what they are selling and just taking a chance! It's interesting seeing the asking prices for second hand quarter scale gliders. For a fully built up model, less than £400 is often seen - this seems quite low considering the time which must have been put into building them.

29 minutes ago, Tony said:

Does anyone still use 35mhz these days?

I still have one glider on 35MHz. My Prodij has a carbon fuse, carbon wing, a slip on nose and I can't be bothered with the hassle of converting it.

Steve

I still use an MC4000 which I put a Frsky add-on board in and it is switchable 2.4/35 and thus fly a lot of my older planes still on 35Mhz but tend to convert slope soarers to 2.4 as more likely to be shot down at a slope than a local flying field.

If you see a DX20 going cheap I'd be interested!

The 20 is the only DX radio with true multi engine support.

Spektrum insists on sticking to their policy of making you pay more for a transmitter to get improved software options :(

Tony (another Tony!) 

Shrinking numbers in the hobby means it's a buyers market. 

There has been and epp-soar and futaba challenger 6 for £250 on eBay for ages. Stan yeo epp poly floater kit costing 60 odd quid in the day and challenger 6 with market value of er zero. 

1 hour ago, satinet said:

Shrinking numbers in the hobby means it's a buyers market. 

There has been and epp-soar and futaba challenger 6 for £250 on eBay for ages. Stan yeo epp poly floater kit costing 60 odd quid in the day and challenger 6 with market value of er zero. 

Silly really I've no idea why they think someone would buy it but perhaps some poor unfortunate soul could get caught out, now that would get me vexed. Funny as I nearly made an offer on a brand new 4 channel Futaba M complete, then reality sunk in as what the heck would I put it in! Now if the epp-soar was 1976 I might have been tempted lol or not! Now who's got a mark 1 or 2 Amigo for sale? Only kidding but if someone put a Cirrus on here I would buy it. I couldn't  afford it when I was in my apprenticeship as I was only paid £4.20 a week after paying my mum board I could just about afford a few sheets of balsa. I looked on in envy!

John Minchell

I am just in the process of re-fitting some classic and older models back onto 35 meg MPX  Synth receivers to go with my MPX 4000 TX. 

That way I free up some 2.4 Rx's for more expensive and valuable models.

John M

Hi Pete

Tempted but I expect there's some building to do, I prefer to to fly than build because of my health if you know what I mean. If there was no building then I'd have it off you. Desperately trying to finish my Algebra off it's only been on the bench for 24 years! 

Tony

Hi All,

I have been on the lookout for a decent Multiplex Fiesta and LS3 but apart from a few wrecks in Europe there doesn't seem much about.  I will keep looking but I have a feeling it might be a long wait for either of them.

I recently bought a new in the box Multiplex Kranich for £190.00 which was a great buy so these old classics are still around.  I now have 3 Kranich gliders including one currently flying and another that is completely stripped and ready for restoring.

I have tried buying a Nan Shadow for the past year and thought I had found one only to discover it had a terrible quality rear fuselage repair,  a cut back nose with a rough Hobby King motor and cheap servos. Both outer wing panels were badly cracked with gaffer tape over the damage.  No thanks for £850.00.

I'm still looking for a Shadow if anyone has one they are selling.

I agree there is some junk being advertised at ridiculously high prices but now and then a gem comes up.

David.

Marc RC pilot

My take on the second hand market so far and after a long lay-off from the hobby is that this new breed of beautifully designed/built high-tech/high-end model soarers seem to hold there prices well. I mean who would have ever though of paying £350 + for a 1.5 m second-hand (high-end) DLG glider!...Until you understand and appreciate the quality/tec behind it that is...times/budgets/niche markets have changed I guess.  

On the other hand you get these absolute cracking bargains like Ikura's Multiplex Kranich and others mentioned here. 

15 hours ago, Marc Sinclair said:

My take on the second hand market so far and after a long lay-off from the hobby is that this new breed of beautifully designed/built high-tech/high-end model soarers seem to hold there prices well. I mean who would have ever though of paying £350 + for a 1.5 m second-hand (high-end) DLG glider!

Personally I don’t think they do hold their value, take my NRJ for example. 

I was asking £350, I’ve owned it maybe 3 months and they are £640, new, add another £120 for the KST 08 and 40 odd quid for the ballast kit and I felt like I was giving it away. 

Although I think if it had been a right handed built plane it would have sold and I’d have priced it a bit higher. 

£400 all in yes I think it was an F3J version with a complete E Fuselage and tenshock or similar it must have been on there for about 10 seconds before it went I was gutted. 

Mark, I agree with you it seems that new stuff doesn't hold it value depending on what discipline it is. F3K doesn't for some reason I know  as I witnessed it first hand when I sold my new NXT a couple of years ago 2/3rds to 1/2 price in some instances. Agree that trying to flog a left handed NRJ is going to be tough. Ill health means I'll never chuck one again but I would have had it off you as it just takes patience to change it over, if someone just wanted one to experience I'd live with 2 throwing pegs and just change the rudder. Good luck selling it though.

Marc RC pilot

True that Mark now that you put the costs involved into in perspective :)

Your NJR model especially, true work of modern day engineering build/art imho.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I often look at the German site;    http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forum.php 

Good forum but lots of good models for sale whether they'd ship to the UK I don't know perhaps not but you might get lucky

There was a Shadow recently on the BMFA site that went for £400 it looked in good nick as well 

I use that German site a lot and have bought a number of gliders from some very nice people.  One of the Kranich came from there.

It actually looks like I may just have snagged a Multiplex Fiesta SF but won't know for definite for 24hrs or so, but it is looking promising.

I didn't see the Shadow.  I might have to put another wanted advert on here in the near future.

Wow nice one Pete she looks wonderful. Just totally laughed at myself then, how can a grown man of 62 years get exited over a picture of a model aeroplane and where did I pluck "Wonderful" from! It still looks wonderful lol