Tony

2nd hand market, in general

Thomas Moller

Second package arrived.

Steve S. as I mentioned before was kind enough to let me take his kit off his hands.  In the kit are all of the die cut ribs which I will now scan and get ready to vectorize so I can cut more on a laser

if need be.  Quarantined for two weeks!   No problem, happy to stay at home!!!

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas Moller

Hi Peter,

It will all work out in the end.  Steve's package just arrived and the wing ribs are there.  I'm going to scan them and create the vector files so I can cut a second set of wings.  I might just think about doing the full house wings out of foam and skin them.  We will see what happens.  This is the fun part when your brain starts to wander in all sorts of directions with grand ideas of what one could do.  I promise I will post as I move along.  I will have a few weeks to think about it as I just got two repair jobs in that I'll need to address first.

Sincerely,

Thomas 🙂

• Like 1

Marc RC pilot

Hi Thomas

I hope you don't mind, but I am prepping early for your Vortex build :popcorn:

Thomas Moller

Hey Marc,

Hang in there.  It’s going to take me a few weeks before I get the other two projects finished.

The first side project is a small repair on a LET Model DG-1000 I built last year for a friend.  The front canopy swung open too fast and broke off some of the resin that the hinge pin goes through.  A little JB Weld slow cure will fix this and then a string on the inside to limit the canopy going all the way to put strain on the hinge.  The gear doors are also hanging open, I think the zip tie that holds the elastic string was cut off.

The other project is a foam jet Second Hand for the same friend, he wants a receiver installed and set up on his Spektrum radio.  This thing has a controller board in it that has stabilization built in.  I hate working on technical things, more of a builder.  It will get done and on to the Vortex.

There is going to be plenary of building time as I’m quarantined for the next 1-2 weeks.

AD15D7B3-ED32-44D6-A2B6-ABDDB6962CE5.jpeg

6BEB6AC7-9B12-4882-AAF6-35019A99422A.jpeg

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Thomas

Good response!

If I were you I'd slow down even further....for me, model repair and refurbishment, what we in the UK sometimes call "fettling" is NOT a job to be rushed

Re-furbishing is the PERFECT occupational therapy for modelers, so DON'T rush it - PLEASE!

Here in the UK the police have just been given powers to disperse gatherings of two or more, this weekend just gone included Mothering Sunday, and our "powers that be" asked us all NOT to make visit(s) to our mothers, but to try to find other ways to pass on our love and care, the phone, Skype, social media were all to be preferred.....if we could........ I'm hoping that building, refurbishing, banishing "negative thoughts, baby!" is the new  "Way to go!"

This weekend gone was made notable by our media showing (now illegal) crowds tearing about in parks, exercising in the fresh air, laughing and joking in groups as people took the opportunity to "get just one good day in" while they could......this mindset  has now GOT to change

I recommend to all forum members that they should be "Put Fettling First"......make a plan. and stick to it, no more Carpe Diem (seize the day) but a more measured plan-based future by giving "Staying Indoors and Not Going Out" - real purpose.......and one more (in)famous quote "You know it makes sense Rodders!"

Wishing you all a bright new future at home, indoors and a satisfying and fettling few months in prospect - hopefully:yes::thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702   

• Thanks 1

Thomas Moller

Hi Peter,

Slowing down as much as I can without going stir crazy.  There are hundreds of things to do around the house from my wife’s “to do list” like build front porch..... it only occupies one line on a three page to do list.

The DG-1000 is fixed or flyable for now.  Canopy secured again but on order from LET Models is a new CF spinner, and main LG.  The HSD Super Viper I’ve been working on too, but there are no responses on the control surfaces once I plug in a new receiver to the controller in the thing.  Well I’ll continue on it still haven’t figured it out yet.  I suspect that the controller is shot and that is why my friend got a good deal on it.

Here in San Diego, California our parks are now closed too and the police are actively pushing people out, well you can’t drive in or park any where close to a park.  It’s a bit surreal this new situation we are all in.  I hope thinks can return to somewhat normal in the near future. 

I hope I’m not intruding here, if so please just say it.

04F04E7E-F083-49A2-A8B9-BE396C625B34.jpeg

CE7CDC6B-C39C-426C-A645-8D26F40AA07B.jpeg

pete beadle

Hi Thomas

Don't worry, AustinG our Moderator will soon tell you when/if  you "cross the line"

In the meantime it's good to hear we're not the only ones suffering withdrawal symptoms, as we used to say many, many years ago "This too will pass":yes: 

Recently I've been encouraging local fellow flyers to bring their home "Spring cleaning" forward, to build up a stock of brownie points with their "better halves"we can use up when we finally do become restriction free......see, plan ahead.....you never know, it might work.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Thomas Moller

Peter,

LOL, love it.  Planing ahead and earning as many brownie points as possible..... will do.

tm 🙂