Tony

2nd hand market, in general

Marc Sinclair

True that Mark now that you put the costs involved into in perspective :)

Your NJR model especially, true work of modern day engineering build/art imho.

Ikura
5 hours ago, Tony said:

I often look at the German site;    http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forum.php 

Good forum but lots of good models for sale whether they'd ship to the UK I don't know perhaps not but you might get lucky

There was a Shadow recently on the BMFA site that went for £400 it looked in good nick as well 

I use that German site a lot and have bought a number of gliders from some very nice people.  One of the Kranich came from there.

It actually looks like I may just have snagged a Multiplex Fiesta SF but won't know for definite for 24hrs or so, but it is looking promising.

I didn't see the Shadow.  I might have to put another wanted advert on here in the near future.

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Speaking as the current owner of this Shadow complete with E fuselage, I bought it from the guy who bought it from here, it DID have faults, lots of them, but after selling the E-fuselage, and taking the time to refurb the F3J version as best I could, I can say I was flying it at Ivinghoe today, and I think it was worth it!!

Oh, and BTW I would still sell it for £400,00 if it went to a good home, BUT the purchaser would have to inspect it thoroughly, and be able to comment on anything they didn't like before I sold it again.......I would HATE to think it might appear here again with the new buyer/seller saying "I wish I hadn't bought it now!" I'm shuddering at the thought of it already! Here she is......

Sorry about the "glowing" pic.....I've no idea what's wrong with my camera:no:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Shadow F3J 002.JPG

• Like 1

Tony

Wow nice one Pete she looks wonderful. Just totally laughed at myself then, how can a grown man of 62 years get exited over a picture of a model aeroplane and where did I pluck "Wonderful" from! It still looks wonderful lol

Ikura

Perhaps I should have said I am looking for a Shadow or Shadow 2 F5J because of my preference to have a whirly thing up front.

SilentPilot

I'll put £400 aside, Pete! 

pete beadle

Hi Ikura

Will you be competing in F5J with it? If you are, it might be best to consider a newer F5J design.....things have moved on quite a lot since the Shadow was the must-have tool for the job......So,if you are intending to compete in F5J I'd recommend an Xplorer or something MUCH lighter

If you're not going to compete in F5J I'd recommend something ELG or RES......:yes:

Although, in the final analysis, of course, it's up to you, not me:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ikura

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice but having flown a Nan Shadow while in Germany I enjoyed it so much that I thought I might try to find one.   I am not interested in competing with it and it is purely for pleasure flying.   The reason I feel the Shadow is the best choice is that I am not looking for a super light glider and would prefer a stronger glider that is more suited to being an all rounder, which I understand the Shadow is.

I also flew the Xplorer and thoroughly enjoyed it and the low speed handling really is spectacular.  I was advised that the Xplorer was more fragile and a little harder to live with.

I have other thermal gliders such as the Topmodel CZ  Prelude, Marabu and Linea and a few older Multiplex Gliders so I'm pretty much covered and just fancied having a Shadow.

• Like 1

Ikura

Well the second hand market is working for me this week.  Today UPS delivered a beautiful Multiplex Fiesta from a great guy in Germany I reached an agreement with.  His description was very conservative and when I opened the huge box I couldn't believe what a beauty the Fiesta is.

It has metal geared Multiplex servos all round and a new motor, speed controller, prop and spinner four flights ago. 

I know these classic Multiplex gliders are not everyone's cup of tea but I have to say I love them.  Maybe it has something to do with never being able to afford them when I was younger but they have such presence in the air and do fly so well.

Anyone got a Multiplex LS 3 they want to sell?

SilentPilot

I’d like another Cularis. 

Is that vintage now??? 

pete beadle

Hi SP

Couldn't do a Cularis but do have a Solius in the loft doing nothing that I might want to part with.......:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Does that have the same wing attachment arrangement?

Once spoilt by the simplicity of the Cularis my Radian Pro and several other full house gliders never got a look in!

pete beadle

Hi SP

NO, that's why the Solius is in the loft.....I quite simply CAN'T put it together one handed:no::(

These days my first question to any seller is "How is the (four-servo) wing attached to the fuselage?"

If they say "You just push the "D" connector (or MPX "greenie") on the wing into the "D" connector (or greenie) on the fuselage" it's a 95% chance I'll buy whatever the plane is, sight unseen:)

Hey ho!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

My Radian Pro has the MPX Green connectors fitted but it's still a pain to rig. Two handed!

I'm sure it could be modified to have one end glued to the fuselage and the other free floating, or maybe (but not my preferred option), glued in the wing.

Actually, thinking about it, the RP wing bolts in place so a double fixed connector setup might not be too bad. I'll dig it out and try double fixing. If it works I'll bring it to the Ivinghoe Nostalgia day and see if it suits you :)

pete beadle

Hi SP

On my Radian Pro I cut a slot to take/fit the flylead on the bottom edge of the wing slot, cyano'd the female lead in place, slid the wing panel with the joiner in, so the retaining screw aligns, feed the lead from the wing root into the socket then poke the free length of the aileron lead under the wing and into the gap under the wing, do up the retaining screw:thumbsup:

Be prepared to get some stick from the other flyers when you bring out a foamie with a motor on Nostalgia Day:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Water off a duck's back!!!

I might not bring it though. You can recommend some types again bearing in mind the forecast closer to the time :)

Though the 4m is coming back! 

pete beadle

Hi SP

I should have put a smiley face at the end of my motor/foamie comment:yes:

I'm sorting out ALL my "nostalgic" models currently......checking structure, checking batteries, checking plastic quicklinks etc

I won't know how the weather forecast compares with reality until I see the 48 hours forward forecast on the 12th.......that'll cut my choices of plane(s) to six.......two heavy with ailerons, two medium weight/span/probably R/E, and two floaters (Amigo, Gentle Lady)

On the PM of the 13th it'll be down to the two I think will be right ,with one heavier and one lighter just in case

......and I STILL sometimes get it wrong so I'll take the "final three" on the day and get out my favourite prayer mat:thumbsup:

I'll broadcast my prediction(s) on Thursday 12th probably, and call whether it is on Friday midday.....BTW fallback date is Sat 21st......

Here's hoping all the planning works......but then there's Murphy's Law to consider........BTW I won't cancel unless it's snowing:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Marc Sinclair

med_91402493_IMG_5535.jpg.png.279c18337f10ec5112817a1cfc794f15.png

Big haul of gliders for sale at BMFA  

I just received the for sale list from the gentleman. It is extremely impressive  and some cracking bargains to be had.  

I wont post the list here out of respect/not my call, but do email him and he will pass you the list asap.  

Edited by Marc Sinclair
added list details

Marc Sinclair

Same chap selling brand new Jeti TX Tray and Cross Strap Harness for DS16 - DS14 -DS24  for a bargain, he also has it on ebay/buy it now option. 

Tony

It's been a bit to windy to fly for the last couple of days so I've been trawling the second hand market mainly looking at transmitters mainly leaning toward anything German. I don't actually need anything but if I see a bargain! What really has surprised me is, I should go back a little by saying I've flown my Taranis X9D since or shortly after they came out so I sort of know nothing else now, how many makes don't include telemetry, curves, free mixes etc etc. To get what I'm totally used to with Frsky costs quite a lot of money with other manufacturers and even then you don't get everything that my X9D does. Appreciate the likes of Jeti do but you are paying for it. As an example there's a nice Graupner radio going for sale, I have owned Graupner in the past and like the feel of their Tx's, minus any Rx's. Looking at a suitable Rx that's equivalent to my RX8R Pro is at least twice as much to buy and even then it doesn't match the Pro. 

Now as I said right at the beginning of this thread my X9D and my Plus feel 'plasticky' and I've never seen or held a Horus of any description, but someone has described the feel of one quite nicely I think one would suit me.

So on that premise, anyone got an X10 for sale at a good price? I'll be going to the Nats if that helps.

Tony